HS30-00019

George

Epic job guys, it lives again! So many great builds on here at the moment!

George or Paul, what bits were salvageable of #19's shell, was it the floors and front cut? What sort of man hours would you have in body repairs before paint? It could give people a rough idea of costs if another early chassis car comes up in the future.

Also, after grafting the donor body shell onto #19 is there a jig or template to make both the old/new body line up to one another correctly?

Please understand lads the panels are free sitting with rubber blocks for transport. so with the latches etc on they will be perfect.

Gareth we used as much of 19 as we possibly could, entire floor front to back, except aftermarket pans under seats, just like any other Z restoration. Firewall and some of the cowl area. front inner guards. but we used aftermarket rails. Parts of the rad support. The roof rails etc were from another car. The 1/4 panels were new old stock. So to be honest there is a lot more of the actual 19 than you would have thought.

Cost wise, well every car is different, every owners requirements are different. We have done 2 HG style Monaro's in the last few years. 1 was 30k the other is 90 and still going.

I told George from the start this car was not financially viable to save. He was adamant that it was worth it. So it has cost substantially more than a normal rusty Z as you could imagine.

We have a chassis jig for the Z yes. we have since put another early car on it and it lines up well within factory tolerances.

George will be getting a visit in the next few weeks. I'm sure he is as excited to see it as I am to get it to him.

Has been an epic restoration to this point and someone has a lot of work to do.

Cheers Lads

• Administrators

I told George from the start this car was not financially viable to save. He was adamant that it was worth it. So it has cost substantially more than a normal rusty Z as you could imagine.

Definitely worth saving in my opinion. I still think these cars have a way to go in terms of climbing value. But that's not always what it's about either.

• Administrators

Stunning work, and great commitment to restore this car.

Originally was the radiator support panel matt/satin black and the plenum chamber gloss grey?

Nick

The front of the radiator support was hand brush painted satin black so colour didn't bleed out through the front of the engine bay and past the grille. But it was only ever painted up sort of half way.

Not the best photo (but I can find a better 1 if you want?

IMG_20140222_233713.jpg

Actually here it is:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/42150-what-color-did-datsun-paint-the-front-of-the-radiator-support/?do=findComment&comment=379433

post-4148-14150817725062.jpg

Not sure what you mean by plenum?

Definitely worth saving in my opinion. I still think these cars have a way to go in terms of climbing value. But that's not always what it's about either.

Easy to say when it's not your back pocket.

I'd hate to know the money spent to date and it's only half way there.

It is stunning however and a credit to all involved.

What are your plans from here George?

Standard restoration of the driveline and suspension or upgrades keeping within the era?

Looking forward to seeing it at a Sydney meet soon. Maybe the delivery day would be a good excuse for a meet and drool.

Realistically, if you farmed all the work out - body repairs & re-paint, new interior, reconditioned drivetrain, suspension & brakes, plus all miscellaneous items,

and you were given back a running, driving Z ready for registration, you'd be up for at LEAST $80,000.
Add some performance improvements, and just keep adding $$$ to that amount.

Anywho, #19 looks fantastic George. I look forward to seeing updates on the reassembly :)

What are your plans from here George?

Standard restoration of the driveline and suspension or upgrades keeping within the era?

Mick, the plan is to restore it to original without losing my mind over the many details that only a few really care about. Parts availability alone makes it impossible to restore everything to original spec. What does that even mean on a car that has been dissected to this degree?

I can only do my best and with the help of others hopefully do the car justice. 

I've tried to ignore comments and questions about costs but let me briefly address it.

How much has it cost so far?

As with all large projects the costs are large themselves. I know some of you are curious but this is a private matter. If you are interested in finding out the cost of restoring a car it is best to talk directly with a qualified tradesman who can give you an estimate based on your particular car. All jobs will be unique and I doubt many of you will start with a car as bad as mine so the costs will vary drastically.

What I can tell you is that a qualified team is worth their weight in gold so only commit to someone you feel completely confident with.

How much will it cost?

73wlY5f.jpg

Chances are slim and none. I do have a spare engine I can warm up though... :P

For the price of messing around with that though, I'd rather just buy an MX5 again and grin at every corner. Cheapest thrills by far.

Nothing wrong with an mx5, Id love to own a NA8 clubman again.

Edited by mossy

Nothing wrong with an mx5, Id love to own a NA8 clubman again.

I just recently sold my NA8 clubman for a more practical car that I can transport parts in to finish off the 240z restoration ... Would definitely buy one again, it is definitely an awesome car to own. 

Edited by daretobedifferent

Guy please be aware that every job the cost will be totally different.

Over the last few years we have done a few HKTG Monaro's. One was low 30. the other is 90 and still going. We have another in the shop now at early stages and another in soon. They will all be different due to the configurations the owners want, The Modifications they want, The amount of rust and previous bad workmanship and also the level of finish they want. So how is what George has spent on his car relevant to what you will spend on your car. It cant be.

From my business point of view and I tell this to all my customers. I don't care one bit what your car costs, All I care about is giving you the car YOU want. The minute George is standing next to his car the money outlaid will be forgotten. This is always the case. Its always harder for our interstate customers as they cant just drop in and look. Pictures can only do so much.

Cheers