Cars For Sale (3rd Party Sites) Ebay, Carsales etc..

gav240z

The japanese used car market has been interesting as of late. I see a lot of sellers with an asking price of $X, but I haven't seen many actually selling for $X anyway. Has this been the case over the past 2 years or have we actually seen sales of cars for $X?

I think prices are dropping for most assets because sellers are just being realistic now and adjusting their expectations as a result. 

24 minutes ago, daretobedifferent said:

but I haven't seen many actually selling for $X anyway

Auction prices are the only real indicator as the sold price is usually discounted from the advertised price but you never "see" this.  

The upcoming Shannons auction will be revealing - there are some nice cars up for grabs that might give an overall vibe of the strength of the market.

My 2c - Some of the zeds that have dropped in price are not particularly nice examples from a value standpoint - non-original motors, heaps of non factory mods and hard to find parts missing or race prepped or similar (ie not where the value lies). It's very easy for an owner of a zed who has no appreciation of why cars are worth XXX to expect theirs to be worth the same and attempt a cash grab that was never realistic.

On 5/14/2022 at 10:39 AM, road rider said:

Hmmmm, has the market cooled off?

For Classic Zeds priced around the proposed price of the "All-New Nissan Z" it may be challenging given the new Z will likely be seen as the final (ICE) model and therefore a "collectable".

9 minutes ago, AndBir said:

For Classic Zeds priced around the proposed price of the "All-New Nissan Z" it may be challenging given the new Z will likely be seen as the final (ICE) model and therefore a "collectable".

You might well be right but I’m thinking that New ICE cars are generally not collectible unless they are truly something rare and special like an exotic invite to purchase car. I mean, if they didn’t make the new 400z and the 370z was the final ICE model would it be the collectible outstripping 240z values?

17 minutes ago, AndBir said:

I would think of it like this:

Will somebody who currently wants a 1970s sports car with timeless design, simple and effective mechanics, big noises (including some rattles), no creature comforts and something that turns heads and stirs up nostalgia - also be considering the new Nissan Z?

My bet is no.

1 hour ago, cracker said:

My bet is no.

I tend to agree. Two different markets.

one market is chasing a hobby/project, nostalgia, novelty and a form of time travel in a classic z.

the other market is after mod cons, outright performance, a warranty and a somewhat analog but modern sports car experience. Something a classic z does not provide. 

The percentage of buyers who will buy a Nissan z and either lock it away or put limited kms on to maintain “collectibility” will be minute. Most will daily them or keep as the fun weekend car to be driven.

Perhaps in 50 years the 400z will see relative values to the 240z…but for now, with EVs well and truly in the mainstream, it will be a playstation4 in a playstation5 world….and no one talks about the last of the playstation4’s.

but most importantly, what we are forgetting, is how impactful the 400z will be. Will it storm onto the market and blow everything away like the 240z did or will it be another sports car that does more of the same…that will be the difference as to its value in a few decades time.

Edited by Wags
Spelling

• Administrators

I must say the new Z has appeal in a market with limited options. But it will never be as legendary as the original.

I recall people "trading up" from 240z's to buy 350z's in the early 2000s. How did that work out?

2 hours ago, Wags said:

Will it storm onto the market and blow everything away like the 240z did or will it be another sports car that does more of the same

No it will never be as impactful as the 240z. But don’t forget that the 240z didn’t gain universal legend status until what? 10-15 years ago? For the longest time they were cheap and expendable. Yes there were always enthusiasts and a strong community  who knew that it was a legend, but I think it’s taken time to become recognized. 

the 240z is the first legend, the Nissan z may be the last legend. ICE Z legend anyway.

from all the reviews I have watched so far it is preferred over the bmw Supra, which is saying something. And there isn’t much competition in the affordable 2 seater rwd sports car category…

33 minutes ago, 240ZBUILTBYME said:

For the longest time they were cheap and expendable.

If history repeats itself and the Z receives the "Legendary Status" in another 20 to 30 years we all should start planning our acquisition strategy (if you already haven't). 

Just as long as the prices dont go crazy like the VF GTS/W1 or the SS Red Line after a year of sales, or will they...........

Edited by JDM-TOY

The Holden craze was fueled by FOMO and greed. Market correction for new holdens is on its way if not already here. A lot of people are going to either lose big (except for the W cars which are as rare as rocking horse sh!t) or have to hold onto the cars for a long time to get what they paid for them back.

2 hours ago, Wags said:

The Holden craze was fueled by FOMO and greed. Market correction for new holdens is on its way if not already here. A lot of people are going to either lose big (except for the W cars which are as rare as rocking horse sh!t) or have to hold onto the cars for a long time to get what they paid for them back.

Can you please not yell at me 

On 5/21/2022 at 12:57 PM, AndBir said:

Interesting to see what they bring at auction.

The first one is a series 2 and looks like a nice original car.

The second is a series 1 and looks to have been resprayed at some point in its life.

I like the first one better!

On 5/16/2022 at 12:13 PM, cracker said:

The upcoming Shannons auction will be revealing - there are some nice cars up for grabs that might give an overall vibe of the strength of the market.

My 2c - Some of the zeds that have dropped in price are not particularly nice examples from a value standpoint - non-original motors, heaps of non factory mods and hard to find parts missing or race prepped or similar (ie not where the value lies). It's very easy for an owner of a zed who has no appreciation of why cars are worth XXX to expect theirs to be worth the same and attempt a cash grab that was never realistic.

This 2+2 sold $34.5K + fees

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2022-shannons-autumn-timed-online-auction/O4CMDCJQLE16FN82/

No description available.

One for the brave :

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/magill/cars-vans-utes/1973-datsun-240z-sports-manual-coupe/1295669468

Magill, Sth Aust.

Let me know your offer and I'll do my best to part with it.

image.png.7e1579943ac48e0ad8de872849719eb3.png

image.thumb.png.6f5f29cdd0d69d9a45311b88a772f436.png

Vg30det engine

Z32tt gearbox

R32 r180 or r200 diff, can't remember which

Z32tt front brakes

R32 rear breaks

Needs a lot of work

Suit full rebuild

Lots of miscellaneous interior parts including alloy half cage.

Have a fibreglass bonnet for it

Replacement good passenger door

Probably other stuff that I can't remember

Let me know your offer and I'll do my best to part with it.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, road rider said:

I don't think I've ever seen a Z32 conversion done on a 240Z before.

Never say never I guess.

What was that, did someone say rust! 

I think that's a Z31 engine.

*Edit I'm not sure actually it may have come out of a sedan, since that intake plenum I don't recognise.

1 hour ago, gav240z said:

I think that's a Z31 engine.

*Edit I'm not sure actually it may have come out of a sedan, since that intake plenum I don't recognise.

I wasn't sure about the engine either Gav.

Even so, I don't think I've seen a Z31 engine in a 240Z before!