Sirpent "Z"

Why did they recall the Fairlady 260Z and put an L20 in instead of an L26?

L26 did not meet the local pollution standards but the new L20EFI engine did - so they were recalled had the chassis number re-stamped to remove the RS30 and make them S31 if I recall correctly. There is a pic on the web somewhere that did show one of these re-stamped firewalls.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well I never made it to NZ, unfortunately my youngest son ended up in the Royal Childrens Intensive Care Unit (ICU) on the 16th of this month in a critical condition, is faring better now but was extremely ill, I havnt slept in my own bed for over 2 weeks now and the closest I have been to one is a recliner in his room, havnt even gone near the car as a result either apart from checking that it was still there on the 18th after our house was broken into while we were all in hospital.

Anyhow, looking forward to brighter days ahead and my best friend coming home from hospital hopefully soon.

In the meanwhile, though I would store all the pics of the build away on a single site incase anyone wanted to access them

http://www.facebook.com/sirpentz

Hope to get back into the thick of it soon and get to Goulburn 2011.

Cheers

John

Hey John,

Man, sorry to hear about your boy it's a difficult time for a parent when any of our kids are sick, to be critical I can only imagine is even more difficult.  I know you probably have plenty of support however if there is anything I can do for you guys please let me know, only to happy to support you in any way.

I'll be praying for your son.

Rev.

Thanks Rev,

If anyones prayers will help it will definately be the Good rev. Daves

I actually thought of you when I was by his bed praying also, sometimes our faith takes a backseat until we are in need, and you think about the people who are more actively out there at those times, I know it sound strange but it's true.

Thanks Dave..........

Thanks brother,

You were one of the few that knew at the time and talking to you meant a lot.

lets just hope we can both get back to our builds in time for next year otherwise we will have to buy 120Y's to drive there LOL

John,

I hope all is well. 

When my daughter was hospitalised after a medication mix up (in hospital, she didn't find my stash) I was beside myself with stress.  I can't imagine what you have been going through.

If there is anything I can do from down here, please don't hesitate to ask.  My thoughts are with you and yours.

MaygZ

Thanks guys, and it's Marcus Lurch, we are Aussies now and left the Bulkan names back over there when we swam to Australia.............LOL

No seriously, thanks to everyone, things are a lot better now than the first 3 days when I sat there looking at a motionless kid on a resperator and 8 IV's pumping stuff into him.

At least he is awake now and lucent and I can see the great kid and mate is still there although in some discomfort.

Just catchin up with the form and came accross this.

Man u must been going through hell I wish all the best and speedy recovery for ur son.

So did they figured out why he got sick etc...?

Both missus and me are shaking from reading pg17 about your son.

John all the best bro. Thinking of u and the little one and praying for quick recovery.

Sorry to here you did not make it to NZ but that is fully understandable.

My thoughts are with you and the family during such a trying time. Pleased to hear Marcus is in better health now. As a parent what you are going through is something we all want to avoid.

Hey Johnny, Sush and NZ'r, alls good and thanks for the words, all appreciated, but this is a build thread so I think we should leave it at that from here on in, to everyone that posted a big thanks from "the boy and me" as Homer Simpson would say.

Cheers

John

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hope all is well - so how is the project going?

It's taken a long time to reply and thats due to a lot of personal circumstances and also a very hard long think about the dirsection of the Zed.

But this morning all has finally fallen into place and Im ready for the big announcement although it may still be a bit premature, however i think everyone will appreciate my excitement when they read what Im about to undertake.

I have watched some great builds come together, Kato's M3, Kyle's XR6 turbo, Pete's race car, V8 conversions so many to contenplate, and finally I think I have come up with one just as unique and most probably the first ever of its kind.

I have been negotiating with a number of suppliers OS now for a few months and finally did the final deal with one this morning over the phone.

Hopefully in a matter of the next few months, withstanding hurricanes cyclones and tsunami's I will have sitting in my garage an AMG 3.2L Intercooled supercharged V6 with 5 speed triptonic Speedshift AMG box, associated wiring looms ECU's and crossmembers.

Some facts about the motor and trans are as follows.

Displacement cc : 3199

Bore x stroke mm : 89.9 x 84.0

Compression ratio : 9.0 : 1

Power output at rpm : 349 HP / 260 kW at 6100 rpm

Max. torque at rpm : 332 lbs-ft / 450 Nm at 4400 rpm

0–100 km/h s : 4.6 seconds based on a 1650 kg C32 sedan

1/4 mile time : 13.0 based on a 1650 kg C32 sedan

Maximum speed (ECU limited) 186 Mph / 300 Kph

Transmission : 5-speed automatic with AMG SpeedShift function

1st - 3.59:1

2nd - 2.19:1

3rd - 1.41:1

4th - 1.00:1

5th - 0.83:1

Looking forward to the months ahead, and glad hopefully of becoming a member of the Forums Bavarian chapter along side David.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023612944_thumb.jpg

Thanks Buddy,

Yup, twin screw IHI supercharger that sits top centre above the heads with teflon coated blades running dual intercoolers and water cooled heat exchanger.

Weight distribution will be a big advantage and overall its a very compact package.

heres another view without the engine intake shroud.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023613081_thumb.jpg

Dimitri you are spot on.

I have been speaking to Pete Lurch and david off line over the past 2 weeks and have decided I will construct and add a bolt on sub-frame along the entire car from engine bay to rear diff and use pick up locations on that sub frame for additional mounting of the engine and trans due to the fact that this is an extremely short set up compared to an L6 and the engine cradle in a C32 actually uses multiple rather than dual engine mounts.

Would like to see a very rigid chassis set up behind that torque which was a concern from the start when I started to contenplate the transplant.

Cheers

John

Way to go John.

Very happy for you. I know the gestation period has been long...... just hope the birth isn't too painful!

Any idea when the new baby will land down under?

This will be an epic build and very appealing for its uniqueness.

David

Well if anyone knows you do David  ;)

Well, all going well, I hope to hear that its all ready for pick up by the shipping agents in the next 2 weeks.

From there its in the hands of the Gods I guess..................

And I think you are right, epic as far as fabrication design and modification work and thats why I appreciate the work you have done so much.

I just want to see it hanging from a block and tackle in the bay for the first time, thats the first target at the moment LOL

hmm David and John stop it....all these nice 6 cylinders from Euro cars now you have me thinking....I know of another inline 6 that as the following specs would need to look into them some more to see if they could fit into a S30 shell.

91 bore x 83 strock

355HP output and 500nm (368 ft lb)

0-62MPH in 5.8seconds and the car this engine is from is 1725kg

hmmm

You didnt mention the capacity LOL

If you had said an V6 then it may have been a blown 3.8L  :o

And which geographic chapter would you represent LOL ?  ;)

Are you going to make us play tag again LMAO  ;D