Sirpent "Z"

Thanks Buddy appreciated.

I think ppl thought I was nuts when I first posted the original photo shopped pic about 5 months ago, but now that I can physically see it Im very happy with it, hopefully Fraser at Alfa Sports will be also as he said if it looks anything like the pic I did and the fit up of the final mock up is good, they will put it into production so it wont be a limited one off.

Look at a Z bonnet, it sticks out more in the middle then at the edges. That is what you are seeing.

Just went outside to take a photos of my car to show you what I meant and realised it is at my mates place.  >:( I'm missing it already.

This picture shows it, although exaggerated a little due to the angle of the photo.

image.php?u=8300&type=sigpic&dateline=1248976703

I was looking at the side profile of your spoiler. It seems that the spoiler is higher than the lines of the bonnet or is that just the way its sitting?

Your observation is correct, but remember that the line you drew is actually at the bonnet centre line / apex, the bonnet actually falls away from the centre towards the guards thats the reason for this illusion, The bonnet will be fitted when I next get stuck into it and will post pics to show that it lines up.

Just working on a hinge design at the moment and I think I have cracked it after looking at the action of a pair of multi / vice -grips which allow one of the arms to to actually tilt back while travelling the upward arc sweep, this should allow me to build a set up that will allow the bonnet / nose section to have a natural factory looking gap.

Cheers

John

;D Looks good. I might want one depending on price and final look.

You may get your wish, Fraser and Alan from Alfa rang me today after I emailed them a set of more complete pics and it looks like they will put it into production.

Based on the previous comments, I couldnt help myself and went and pulled half my shed apart to get to the bonnet and sit it on the car, hope it's appreciated, at least I can sleep well tonight knowing it's right...........LOL

Remember its not on hinges or adjusters, just sitting there as is.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023556719_thumb.jpg

Hey John,

how does your g-nose differ from an original Datsun one and the complete g-nose that Alfa does? Also do all the g-noses just bolt straight on and does anyone do any headlight covers for them? Cheers.

Hey John,

how does your g-nose differ from an original Datsun one and the complete g-nose that Alfa does? Also do all the g-noses just bolt straight on and does anyone do any headlight covers for them? Cheers.

Brab,

The G-Nose isnt aerodynamic in its original form as far as down force, and becuase of it's 1970's basic shape, as far as the lower valance area, dosnt do much for the overall asthetics of the car making it look even longer and cigar shaped.

Im attempting to bring a more contemporary look to it, deliver some downforce advantages and also utilise the intake ducts so as to force feed an intake plenum for the 45DCOE Webers Im putting on, so at speed there is a positive pressure available to the carbs when they open up, you could call it similar to a meager super charging of the intake.

I also plan to use a splitter on each intake so as to deliver 20% of the air colected to front brake ducts, i.e. 80% to the intake chamber, 20% to the brakes.

There are covers available at between US $600-$800 from what I have seen, but I wont be fitting any.

The following pic (Sorry about the quality as I had to reduce its size to Buggary) should show the differences between what Im attempting and a generic original design G-Nose from the 240Z era.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023556819_thumb.jpg

Brab,

The original G-Nose came in 5 pieces from memory and were are perfect factory OEM part that bolted straight on.

Most replicant G-Noses that I have seen on the market these days are 3 piece jobs.

The one you see me building is a one piece that will include 2 internal moulded in re-enforcements from which I have determined I will use 6 adjustable brackets which will bolt the upper and front of the nose to the original bar mounting points, the bonnet hinge mounting points and a bracket either side securing the wheel arch sections to the inner wheelwell / skirts.

To answer your question howvere, Im designing it so you can unbolt your entire front clip and bolt this straight on as a replacement.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

OH and I forgot, Im using slim line 2009/10 VW Passat front marker lamps, will take a pic of the one I picked up and post on here.

Cheers

John

The following are pics of the VW Passat Lamps I purchased, the actually arc's are almost 100% on par with the bar shape, they will be fitted one either side into dressed cavities I will build into the bar just above each air duct, you will be able to bolt these in and remove replace as required.

The effect should be a further reduction visually of the head lamp bucket / bar vent area giving it an even sleeker profile and look.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023556889_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023556894_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023556901_thumb.jpg

Thanks John for the info,

yes good idea to be able to bolt it straight on or off. That is what I want to be able to do with mine if I change my mind with it I can just go back to the original nose and switch between the two. I was thinking of getting the Alfa G-nose that pretty much replicates the original, so I am assuming this would bolt straight on/off as well. Also would be interesting to see how much reinforcement you need so it doesn't flex too much at high speed. Good work keep it up! :)

Thanks Brab,

I have been under the pump at work and at home of the past week, house renovations at the Mother-In_laws all last weekend, a daily drive car that was leaking coolant from the rad and a stupid pipe located under the intake manifold, Yeah the whole lot had to be removed to get to it !

Anyhow, today was the first time I have had a chance to work on the front, and I want to finish this first before moving back onto the rest of the car rather than mucking about trying to make it all fit pre-paint, so today I did a whole lot of micro-adjustments to the entire nose, shifting things about in mm's so that I have both the left and right sides measuring up the same and then moved on to re-locating the wheel arches on each side so that the nose will line up with the guards.

Now I can really see what the final product should deliver, with the cut-aways from the original lower end now re-positioned on both the left and right hand sides, the nose dosnt look that long anymore and really comes together a hell of a lot better.

Anyhow will let you guys be the judges.

Also I realised that I have enough meat there that I could incorporate brake cooling ducts on the sides, thoughts anyone?

If I can get my hands on some fibre sheeting and resin tomorrow, Australia day looks like an interesting day to start molding it all together into one.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023558254_thumb.jpg

post-1356-14402355826_thumb.jpg

Thanks Hunter,

Thats the intention, to put it into production, this mock up will be smooth as silk on the outside, just dont look underneath.......LOL

It will be used to make a master mold.

Cheers

John

Nose clip looking good - can't wait to see the prototype complete - might have to save some $$ and get one when they are in production for the day that I damage my G-Nose (5 piece with 3 of the them original factory items - lower section is not originial :( )