Rudolfs 2+2: The gleaming emerald......

Love the green, it really pops in the modern automotive world of mostly very bland white/silver/charcoal/black cars. Very much enjoying your build series.

Oh, and a garage floor one could eat one's dinner off. Very tidy.

Edited by gilltech

• 4 weeks later...

Mid April Photo Update:

Tried to keep busy lately, and got abit done in the garage:

took this:

350 new shed

And polished it all up until i had no finger prints left.

It took me about 5 hours total to do over a weekend, i also painted it with clear engine enamel.

Pretty happy with the results:

352 new shed

Also tackled the handbrake assembly:

353 new shed

And after a wash in the laundry sink, some wire brush action and a lick of paint, came up like new:

354 new shed

And pretty much the rest of the front end ready to go on the car. I'm waiting for a brake upgrade to come in at Stuart Willkins, then when i get that, ill chuck all that on.

355 new shed

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

• 3 weeks later...

Update early May

I've been pretty busy over the last month, jumping back and forth between different sections of the car. mainly being the under body, the front suspension and the interior roof trim.

I have 3 video's nearly finished and ready to go, each between 10-15 minutes long so far, already edited up, with 2 of them held up waiting for final parts to arrive.

I have installed the handbrake assembly, and have heaps of footage polishing up the fuel lines, but I've been waiting 4 weeks now, for a subcontractor at work to bend me up a new fuel line.

It's a 3/8th line, which will replace the 1/4" tank vent line in the fuel rail bank. and will be capped off for future V8 engine fuel supply needs.

My subbie has had it over 1 month, and only just started it last week, and now has issues with not being able to bend the 3/8th line tight enough to match the factory lines, specifically where it loops under the rear chassis rail cross bars at the rear sway bar and mustache bar.

I might have to terminate the hard line at the rear sway bar, and go to braided line after that.

I'm considering hole sawing my frame rail cross braces and sleeving them, so i can run the braided line straight through it, but i'm not keen in sanding off all my under body stone guard. 

Second video is doing the roof liner. I have made and fitted one, but am waiting on some vinyl trim to come and some vinyl dye too.

Last video is actually finished, and edited up, i got all the front suspension back together and in the car. But i want to post the other video's first, so you don't watch a video of me fitting all the suspension, only for it to be scattered across the floor in a million pieces in the next video.

Anyway, video's will be up soon enough, here is the front end fitted:

359 new shed

360 new shed

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

• 2 weeks later...

NEW VIDEO UPDATE - ROOF HEADLINER AND CORNER TURRET TRIM

Ok guys, i finally was able to get the latest video up and finished. today we tackle the corner trimmings and headliner.

I also finally got my 3/8th fuel line home, i have to trial fit it, and if its good, take it back and get the AN fittings welded to either end.

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

Lovely work and good thinking using the clips.

Car Builders have some good products. I also used their peel and stick insulating closed cell foam on the inside of the door skins and rear quarter panels.

Edited by AndBir

On 5/23/2020 at 5:16 PM, AndBir said:

Lovely work and good thinking using the clips.

Car Builders have some good products. I also used their peel and stick insulating closed cell foam on the inside of the door skins and rear quarter panels.

I'm pretty sure when i was trying to google search the product for reviews it bring me here anyway as someone had reviewed it here, might have been you?

Video update 15 - Fuel line upgrade, polishing my fingers off! and doing the handbrake!

Ok so I've been on a bit of a roll. got the next video ready, some upgraded fuel line, bunch of other stuff, you guys know whats up!

• 3 weeks later...

Video Update 16- Front Suspension.

I'n this week's video, its all about installing the front end into the car!

(edit* I'n? what the hell is that? IN.... its 5:17am leave me alone...)

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

• 4 weeks later...

Video update 17- Engine bay brake lines / booster and master cylinder.

So in today's episode, i tackle all the lines in the engine bay. Front brake lines, splitter and prop valve, i fit the brake booster and willwood master cylinder too. And i gloss over what products i used to polish everything up.

Rudi.

• 2 weeks later...

Update End of July: Paint, Paint, and more paint.....

Ok so i'm jumping ahead a little here. I kinda have the next video done, edited and finished, I just hadn't posted it up yet.

I did the steering column, front hubs and discs. And that was it.... i was going to move on to rebuilding the rear end, i already shot a lot of footage rebuilding the rear shocks. I repainted the diff at work, i finalized all my rear suspension.... 

385 new shed

386 new shed

390 new shed

Great!.....Until its not..... hmm... i don't actually have anymore jack stands, so i cant pull the rear end off the dolly frame until i get the front on the floor on its wheels, so i can use the front jack stands on the back.....

And i cant put the front wheels on until i finish off the front brakes and braided lines...

So i took a drive to the paint supplier and bought some candy apple red caliper paint:

388 new shed

389 new shed

The Calipers were painted silver from the manufacturer, so i figured that makes a perfect base coat for a candy red... why not... so that was done and put a few coats of clear over the top too!

I took video of doing all this, and i might add and re edit the next video, make it longer, and add fitting calipers, brake lines and getting it on the floor.

So yeah, New video coming soon...

And finally, i am the smartest man alive!

I had been thinking, i really should get the SWM front diff mount mod done to my car, as my front mount was a little worse for wear.

I have everything else in the back end rebuilt and brand new apart from that. I thought about it, but didn't get it when i ordered and picked up all my brake upgrade parts. cause it would be a extra $400 or so. Then when i did inquire about it, was told there would be about a 3 week turn around, and they need my old diff mount.

So i go to dads and dig under the house for my rear suspension, pull out the diff mount and what do ya know?.....

I got it modified already, must have been when i got my headers,  go inside check my recipts, yep, paid for it to be done back in 2015!

Guess i had this exact internal argument about it back then too, but just had it done then!

Win!!

391 new shed

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

• 2 weeks later...

Video update 18: Front hubs/discs and steering:

In today's episode i tackle the steering column, the front hubs and wheel bearings and the front discs!

I also redid my original 3 videos, and combined them into 1 video, re editing them.

I wasn't too happy with my original 3 or 4 videos, I think my editing and pacing was doing a real disservice to my channel and the work i do.

I feel people would watch the first one, not really enjoy it, and not bother with the newer videos, even though i think my production quality has gone up, even if just a little. So i re did it and here it is:

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

Video update 19: Polishing wheels and fitting brake calipers:

In today's episode i fit the calipers, and polish and fit the front wheels, and finally get the front end back on the floor:

Rudi.

• 2 weeks later...

Update end of August 2020

Had a mammoth weekend last week, spent all of Saturday in the garage and half of Sunday too. Had to get'er done, this kid is due any time! 

Slammed in the Diff, rear shocks, rear suspension, everything. Its pretty much done.

The only thing that held me up was when i went to dad's, i pulled out the rear brakes from under the house to find the rear shoes were pretty much cactus and the drums were scored to all buggery.

So during the week i got the shoes re-lined and the drums smoothed out in the lathe and we are read to rock. 

I plan on fitting it all up, but im waiting for a new spring and cup kit for the rear drums which i expect in next week.

393 new shed

I polished up the rear diff hat too while i was at it, Didn't go as crazy as i did with the rims, but its acceptable.

394 new shed

395 new shed

And that's it for now, Editing up the video this weekend.   

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

3 hours ago, JDM-TOY said:

Looking good Rudy, I bet your car will be done before mine lol. 

Im suprised your Mrs hasn't lost it at all the time spent in the garage especially with the baby due hahah, mine did.

make sure i sneak out into the garage when the wife falls asleep on the couch haha!

hows your car travelling now? my build will slow down when it comes to the engine side of things as im still not sure which way i wanna go. 

I've also hit a snag with the rims, because i fit the big front brakes its kinda stuffed me up with rims fouling the caliper. I'm gonna need a slip on spacer and some extended wheel studs for the rims i want....... more to come about that soon!

Rudi.

• 3 weeks later...

R.I.P Rudi

Condolences to all my Auszcar family.... Rudi might as well be gone for good... well, for a few months at least!

Welcome the new addition to the clan!!

Wife had to have a Emergency cesarean, very scary, she lost heaps of blood....

But we made it!

Baby Alexis, She was born on 17.9.20! 3.8kg!

4 days old now, this is the first time I've been able to turn on my computer! We got home 2 days ago, mum is recovering well but its slow and i have to do 80% of things for her which is hard. I'll tell ya! I'm learning fast! Bub is doing fine. I had... uhh.... 1 hour sleep on Saturday night, was able too get about 4 last night 

Hopefully i can see you all again in a few months haha!

409 new shed

408 new shed

Rudi.

Edited by CroS13

I'm sure it will only be a short-lived hiatus before you are back in the mancave Zed workshop again.

And, for those who are missing the point, Rudi has a 2+2, not a 2-seat, so it all fits perfectly... welcome to the world baby Alexis and well done and congratulations to mum and dad!

• Administrators

Have fun, nothing can prepare you for the lack of sleep. The 24/7 demands etc..

Every time I think I have 5 mins spare to go work on something the little 1 has other plans.

Congratulations rudi! Will be a while till the next YouTube video I’m guessing? Haha

its an amazing experience mate and she will be your greatest project yet! (Your car was already pretty great)

just survive the first 4 months then it gets easier everyday after that. I hope She is a good eater/sleeper 

we will be in the same boat, my second is due end of November....:'(

ryan 

Edited by 240ZBUILTBYME