-
Posts
1,509 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
7
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Articles
Media Demo
S30z Register
Store
Everything posted by MaygZ
-
Holistic Approach To Handling. Done Right The First Time!
MaygZ replied to DreamZproject's topic in Suspension
Is there a reason that no-one has mentioned Otomoto's coilovers? Being the tight bottom that I am I know I didn't spend lots on them ($500 from my failing memory) and they seem a very good quality. 300kg springs and koni yellows should be the right set up for my car - which is pretty much the same requirements as the OP. I am considering adjustable lower arms front and back though, primarily for the 10 inch rubber. Hi everybody :-) -
Hello everybody - I'm not dead - yet. There has been very little progress for quite a while - between fires, floods, injuries, unsuccessful treatments, surgeries, rehab, work, more fires, more floods, more injuries ........ Anyway, it seems that things are settling down a little (did I just say that as we come into another potentially terrible fire summer?) and I've got a bit of leave coming up. I've decided on colour (not telling) and decided to paint the underside, inside and engine bay myself. Then I can start the stuff I like best and get the bloody rotisorie out of the way. I'm very excited so hopefully I can get the paddocks slashed and baled in the next week or so and get into the shed. Sorry I missed the christmas party, but I hope you all have a happy and safe Christmas and spend it with those that you love (Zeds) - and your families. MaygZ
-
Hey Sirpent, just asking: would it have been easier to build a stand alone chassis and then bolt the shell and hanging panels to it?
-
Be aware that: the faster the disc spins the more heat it will produce = potential for warpage. The more powerful the coarser the grit = potential for warpage The faster and more powerful = faster to chew through metal (especially if it is tilted or run along a ridge) and the quicker the stuff up. Paint stripper is messier, often more expensive but won't warp a panel nor chew a hole in a ridge or edge. Sand blasting is IMO the best way to remove paint (but the operator must be used to our thin panels metal or again it can be a bad day)
-
How the hell do I send a PM now? I'm a computer gymp. So David, consider yourself PM'd. My PM would have asked you the usual price and shipping questions (to 3434). Regards MaygZ
-
Now Lurchos, don't be so negative. Your advice may very well be followed to the letter. I'm not going to refute or challenge anything you have said above - but rather concur with your solution with regard to the squirmy braking and the lack of feel mid-corner. Too much weight is being moved forward, so increasing the spring rate at the front will help keep rubber on the ground at the back. Rear toe in will also help keep more rubber on the road during braking. A little pos caster on the front will help turn in. I'm sensing that your mid-corner feel issues are due to initial understeer which reduces your desire to throttle on early (read rolling through the apex) allowing the tail to 'float' instead of being planted by throttle. Fix your turn in and then see where you can throttle on. One thing to remember with steering and suspension set up - it's all robbing Peter to pay Paul. Improving one thing will reduce something else. Having said that: the numbers that you have put up leave plenty of room for improvement (as per Lurch's comments) I have no experience at all with the AZC inserts/struts so I can't comment on them - but I know Lurch has so I trust his opinion on this matter. Good Luck
-
There was a time that you would have been banned from the site (or at least sent to your room) for asking this question. PMC is Peter Mc. He is an engine builder extraordinaire. He did some time at Gibson Racing. He builds amazing monster engines - and doesn't watse his time building stock engines like mine - unless the person is a great bloke - like me I don't know if he is still active on the forum but Lurch still catches up with him. If you have any questions about perfomance engine building - especially head improvement - he is the font of all knowledge.
-
Don't re-use head bolts as they stretch over time (PMC told me this so it must be true) He told me that studs are much better as they don't twist as they torque - weakening the bolt and straining the threads. He used ARP studs on my build and suggested we all should use them. Yes, my engine is the most stock engine he has ever put his hands on. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-1970-78-ARP-Racing-Cylinder-Head-Studs-L24-L26-L28-NEW-/331564239429?hash=item4d32c4ca45#ht_22wt_1362 or if you want to keep using studs: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-1970-83-Cylinder-Head-Bolt-Set-Bolts-OEM-NEW-/331556872007?hash=item4d32545f47#ht_22wt_1362
-
We could have a system whereby we could score people for good and bad. Perhaps we could call it 'karma'. ;D ;D Great work Dave.
-
What a great idea! Hehehe
-
Are you running points or elect distributor? If points, I would check the points capacitor - as it sounds electrical to me. If elect distributor, I can't offer any advice, sorry.
-
Photos sell things. Maybe post a couple of happy snaps and they will sell. People should know what they are, but a photo removes doubt.
-
I think most are going down the same path now. I'll try to summarise - and I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will let me know If I'm selling a beautiful concourse, matching numbers early 240 then a person looking for exactly that will pay lots of money for it, but the person looking for a project will offer bugger all for it. If I'm selling a very neat 240 with flares, RBs, triple 40's, Sparco seats and a doof doof stereo then the concourse wanter won't come near me, but a person looking for a completed project with all this gear will offer me lots and a person looking for his own project will offer me bugger all. I'm guessing the same if the above car has a BMW V12/RB25dett/LS3/Windsor/Rover/20B/flux capacitor fitted it would be dealt with the same. As we all know, the bloke looking for the complete project car will always only ever offer bugger all - regardless! There are some people that want an old car but are not interested putting up with old car issues - smelly, heavy steering, loud, lack of power, rattles etc. Some people want an 'old' car that drives like a new car or has some of the benefits or balance of both worlds. See I love Sulios 260. It's almost stripped out. The seats are not particularly comfortable, it's noisy as it has no carpets, your feet get hot, the cage closes it in a fair bit, the steering is heavy, the engine is not an extreme power house, the guards are cut for the flares, it has some big rubber on it. Some might describe it as a terrible car - I think it is the bees knees and I love it. I would buy that car (no Sulio I don't have any money) well before I would buy a beautifully restored 240. Whilst the latter would probably have more interest and therefore reach a higher value. I suspect that if Sulio's had a full interior and a few more creature comforts, the price for each would be very comparable. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and cash is in the hand of the purchaser. If you are selling a product that the purchaser just has to have, then they will reach to the bottom of their pockets to get it. If your car is a 'cookie cutter' Zed, then by definition there are lots of them and supply might exceed demand. If yours is a little (or a lot) different, then you can name your own price - but you might have to wait for the smaller market to 'realise' the value. I'm always a bit disappointed when people start telling other what they can and can't do with their cars. Some people love flares, G-noses, big rubber, Safari Gold, RBs, automatics and yes even a sunroof! (although you might be waiting for a while for a person that loves them all together - but ohhh what a rare car it would be )
-
I'm in. Got the day off work and the boss is doing the run for the kids - so I now get out of waiting for her to finish; especially as the rest of the family are doing the Ironman and no doubt she was planning on me going down to Franga and waiting for them to finish that!! Scoota, let me know if I can help you get there - if you can get down to Sunbury, Kyneton, Kilmore or similar - I can take you the rest of the way. Mossy, are you going? If so, can you bring the Konis? If not, next w/end I can get outto you. I'm excited.
-
http://www.japan-vintage.com/stocklist/detail.php?stri=37345&stci=1280 A$29K
-
http://www.japan-vintage.com/stocklist/detail.php?stri=37345&stci=1280 A$29K
-
I think the worst thing you can do o a Zed is put an "X" after the Z. Simon, read my new disclaimer below - before you start whinging. Seriously, I think the biggest issue with power transplants is not hat they are done, but hat they date the reno. 1980's - holden/ford V8s 1990's - 2010 - RBs 2010+ - 20B & BMW hybrids All great mods, and dont get me wrong - I would love any of them (love the RB path and certainly don't have the brains or pockets for the BMW) - but dating the reno. I suspect i will come down to who wants an old school cleveland when they can have a shiney new bavarian?
-
Crikey, they are expensive photos
-
I was quite a while ago. I think it was 2 struts for the hatch of my old Alfasud - which makes it nearly 20 years ago - shit I'm old .... Anyway my memory says hey were about $11 each - which even then I remember wondering how he could make a living with charges like that. He didn't re-gas my struts, this was swap over.
-
I've used these guys and the service and product were very good. http://www.gas-struts.com.au/
-
I'm going to just put it out there: have you considered reducing the thickness of the rubber cone thingy at the top of each strut? You can easily take 3/4 to an inch out them and it simply lowers the body on the suspension. No spring changes and it should also bring the camber back in.
-
Guys, feel free to enter my Supercoach League. It's just for shits and giggles. All I ask is hat you put an uppercase Z in your team name so we can tell who we are. Beginner's Luck (658004) You don't have to be good, just active. MaygZ
-
It was on a couple of weeks ago. They did a reasonable job on what looked to be a pretty straight 240. They did find that it was using a replaceable cartridge oil filter - using a toilet roll as the filter! They really only gave it a clean, a tune, put some new seats in it and few bits and pieces that the owner had laying around. they put new wheels on it and when he held the bare wheel up to the studs, the rim hit the spring perch - duh! Actually I might have the wrong show. That show had a small group of mobile mechanics that helped out - a bit like Pimp My Ride - but they don't fit playStations in the car. I think it was Garage Squad.
-
Mint Datsun 'Compe' Steering wheel + 'new' OEM front calipers F/S
MaygZ replied to acf321's topic in Parts and Tools for Sale
Crikey Adam, that big toe looks sore. -
Black and what Gareth said ^^^^^^^
