What Did You Do On Your Z Today?

Ponyo240z

• Administrators

Started re upholstering the original seats a few weeks back.

Planning to finish 1 this weekend

What are you going to do about the foam part? Going to replace or patch up?

So happy with how the steering wheel turned out. Makes a great car better.

Now waiting for the thread reducer to turn up for the new gear knob.

Yeah I miss the wood wheel a bit in my car after installing the Datsun compe wheel. It offers a nice contrast to the interior.

What are you going to do about the foam part? Going to replace or patch up?

Yeah I miss the wood wheel a bit in my car after installing the Datsun compe wheel. It offers a nice contrast to the interior.

Looks great Scotty, the wood contrast with interior certainly breaks it up.

Gav I wouldn't regret the comp, I needed a thicker wheel on the mini when I would go on a tour

Gav, drivers seat I bought new high density foam from clark rubber and trimmed it into shape with a electric meat knife. I then did a layer of hessian from a potato sack. I'll post some photos soon

Edited by Ponyo240z

• Administrators

Looks great, where did you get the vinyl material from? Rob at Z-Factory?

Oh and those support straps under the seats look like seat belt material?

Looks great, where did you get the vinyl material from? Rob at Z-Factory?

Oh and those support straps under the seats look like seat belt material?

Seat vinyls came from Warren at a great price, quality is very good also.

Support straps are made from a role of seat belts. My mother in law used to work at a seat belt factory before it closed down 10+ years ago, I knew a few role would come in handy. My dad stitched them with nylon thread for strength.

Edited by Ponyo240z

• 3 weeks later...

Fit a set of early 240 sunvisors today. They were filthy. They got a wash, dye and amourall.

Also cut some mdf out and covered with vinyl to finish off the footwell area

Next I want to fit luggage straps. Anyone have a set lying around?

post-104720-0-18694500-1493122715_thumb.jpeg

post-104720-0-65304900-1493122735_thumb.jpeg

post-104720-0-50545100-1493122747_thumb.jpeg

• Administrators

Long term project here, but trying to reproduce the Rally Clock face. Once I get this right I'll move onto some other gauges I've been wanting to do (mostly ones only found in works rally cars).

I can't for the life of me determine the typeface used by Nissan in the 70s for early S30Z gauges.

Ticketbook
Poster Sans
Steelfish
Album Cover JNL
Ristretto Pro

As a side note I believe Nissan used "microgramma" in the 80s and appears to be used for "SEIKO".

RC-face-1.png

• Administrators

More progress on Rally Clock face, but had to use a substitute typeface. Someone suggested Churchward 69.

Churchward 69 is a ten weight typeface family originally designed during the late 1960’s by the late type designer Joseph Churchward. 

It's very close in terms of design aesthetic, but only problem is like any good typeface has a cost associated with it. If for any reason someone has a copy of this typeface please let me know? I may have to fork out for it, but not 100% sure it's "exactly" spot on yet..

On it's own.

RC-face-3.png

Comparison with original.

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 9.17.37 PM.png

• Administrators

Works Tach..very rare...

Just a start... going to take some work to get this 1 right..

The Works team rally cars had some cool and unique gauges I've never seen on other S30Z's.

*Edit update, a bit closer now. When the type face is correct I think it will look far nicer!

works-tach-new2.png

I should probably start a new thread for gauge design? Or add to this thread?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/6719-factory-10000rpm-tachometer/

works-tach-new.png

hemicuda383jp-img600x600-14600884203vdcnr23159.jpg

• 4 months later...

I thought i'd give the Z a bit of love before my new work car arrives.

-Finally finished reupholstering the passenger seat with the help of dad and stripped and resprayed the hardware.

-Thanks to Lurch, I fit a set of luggage straps

-I replaced my door and hatch rubbers again, back to the Kia sportage ones. I recently fit aftermarket ones, however they were too tight and wouldn't shut properly.

-I resprayed the front cowl black, as i was sick of seeing red through the front grille

• Administrators

I continued on with my valve cover repaint. Sanding down the letters and the outline around it.

IMG_20170925_210821.jpg

IMG_20170925_210905.jpg

IMG_20170925_210910.jpg

It's turned out better than I expected to be honest. The photos make it look more "pink" than it is in reality, but it certainly makes a statement.

Done well with that. Wrinkle finish sometimes comes out well and other times not so.

Got the inner guards painted on 741 ready to start putting suspension and brakes back in.

Replacing bushes with nolathane. I've still got to get the outer rubber bushes out of the lower arms. I made a little press, but that didn't work. I might have to drill out rubber and cut from the inside. I think it may be a painful job :(

A few little jobs left on the car. :D

post-105904-0-19664700-1506341488_thumb.jpg

post-105904-0-49847400-1506341504_thumb.jpg

Edited by GregTas

I've been sorting out all the small things that are needed to be "finished". Got the door cards and door hardware put back in, put the centre console back together and finally read enough on the hitachi carbs that I was able to get them into a decent tune - car has been running fairly average since I got it and is now idling and accelerating nicely

That came up a treat, I like the red

I continued on with my valve cover repaint. Sanding down the letters and the outline around it.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_210821.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_210905.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20170925_210910.jpg

It's turned out better than I expected to be honest. The photos make it look more "pink" than it is in reality, but it certainly makes a statement.

I might have to drill out rubber and cut from the inside.

That's the way I did it. I also tried a press but no joy. So my back-yard method was to destroy the integrity of the rubber first by heating the inner bush up with a gas torch (sparingly!), then when enough rubber was dug out to expose the outer bush I very carefully cut it not quite through with a hacksaw and was able then to collapse it inwards to extract it, managing to not damage the arm. But it took me a fair while to do all four.