Dash reskin DIY!???

Toecutter

• Administrators

is buying new really still an option for an early 240Z?

If you're willing to spend 2-3k on 1 yes, I've seen a couple of Yahoo! auctions.

• 2 weeks later...

Option 6: FRP dash from Alfa Motorsport.

Option 7: Carbon fibre dash from top stage.

Both not original, but much lighter than stock. I might try the expanda foam method at some stage. Heard of another case with gauges not fitting in a re-skin due to thickness increase. let us know how you go Gav.

Cheers

I have a Dash Doctor dashboard and I honestly wouldn't even consider any of the other options because the finish is so good. You really do get what you pay for with these things.

Happy to read that as my dash is being dropped off there today. :)

Hey Guys,

Just sent my dash down to the Dash Doctor in Melbourne from the Goldcoast. Got it back yesterday looks good, cost $550 plus $60 for them to package and send back.

Only trouble is got the 3 smaller gauges in alright but the bigger ones I'm struggling with….. Do they go in from the front? and does anyone have any tricks?

Cheers Mitch Potter

post-3166-144023748693_thumb.jpg

post-3166-1440237487_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys,

Just sent my dash down to the Dash Doctor in Melbourne from the Goldcoast. Got it back yesterday looks good, cost $550 plus $60 for them to package and send back.

Only trouble is got the 3 smaller gauges in alright but the bigger ones I'm struggling with….. Do they go in from the front? and does anyone have any tricks?

Cheers Mitch Potter

From the front use Vase and a hairdryer to soften open up the hole.

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and not used to using them so I am finding it difficult to work out how to do things.

What I am trying to do is find an Australian supplier for the following products. I am wanting to restore the padded dash in my 260Z 2+2 that I am currently doing a complete rebuild on.

1. Dow "Great Stuff" Insulating Foam Sealant (either spray pack or gun tube)

2.SEM Bumper Repair

I have found some SEM products in the Zoxoro Australia online store but they don't list the above 2 products.

I have tried, Repco, Auto Barn, Supa-Cheap Auto, Bunnings, Mitre 10, Automotive Paint and Panel equipment suppliers, and searched widely online but I can only find them in the USA and freight is about 3 times the price of the product.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Can you not just get the dash re-skinned?

They can be re-skinned by the Dashboard doctor in Melbourne but at$550.00 plus freight both ways it gets very expensive. Much cheaper to repair if you can get the products to do it.

Fair enough. But dashboard repair shops use vacuum technology to apply a whole new skin complete with the correct or near-correct texture; it's pretty hard to replicate that texture by hand when filling cracks, & doing that while blending out the edges of the cracks is more difficult when the edges have sprung back & lifted.

Can you not find substitute products here in Australia? Insulation foam is common place in the building industry.

As are 2-part epoxy fillers of various types.

• Administrators

Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and not used to using them so I am finding it difficult to work out how to do things.
What I am trying to do is find an Australian supplier for the following products. I am wanting to restore the padded dash in my 260Z 2+2 that I am currently doing a complete rebuild on.
1. Dow "Great Stuff" Insulating Foam Sealant (either spray pack or gun tube)
2.SEM Bumper Repair

I have found some SEM products in the Zoxoro Australia online store but they don't list the above 2 products.
I have tried, Repco, Auto Barn, Supa-Cheap Auto, Bunnings, Mitre 10, Automotive Paint and Panel equipment suppliers, and searched widely online but I can only find them in the USA and freight is about 3 times the price of the product.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Couple of tips, you put this in the classified wanted section. Probably not a wanted ad.

In terms of SEM products, yep I couldn't find them locally either. So you'll have to try a similar product locally there is some good tips in this thread.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/14326-dash-reskin-diy/

May also want to look here.
http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/3291-centre-console-renovation-diy/

With regard to paying ridiculous prices for products to be shipped here. Welcome to the Banana Republic we call Australia.

• 6 months later...

my dashboard is pretty terminal with 3 or 4 major cracks at the top, with the front not section in pretty good order. i was just about to do the fiberglass job suggested elsewhere in this forum, but i have noticed that people are using the 4 way stretch vinyl and gluing it over the top. once this vinyl is heated, its very malleable and goes over complex curves. i believe that is what the dashboard doctor uses

the reason why this method appeals to me is that i don't think i can blend the top and the rest of the dash without lots of work.

the dash is still filled up with the bunings foam as suggested and sanded to shape to form the base for the vynil

the main problem appear to be the 5x instrument holes which will need the old skin removed because otherwise the instruments won't fit

has anyone done this successfully?

my dashboard is pretty terminal with 3 or 4 major cracks at the top, with the front not section in pretty good order. i was just about to do the fiberglass job suggested elsewhere in this forum, but i have noticed that people are using the 4 way stretch vinyl and gluing it over the top. once this vinyl is heated, its very malleable and goes over complex curves. i believe that is what the dashboard doctor uses

the reason why this method appeals to me is that i don't think i can blend the top and the rest of the dash without lots of work.

the dash is still filled up with the bunings foam as suggested and sanded to shape to form the base for the vynil

the main problem appear to be the 5x instrument holes which will need the old skin removed because otherwise the instruments won't fit

has anyone done this successfully?

After doing lots of vinyl work I can tell you straight up - it's impossible!  The Dash Board doctor uses a vacuum process and a PVA based plastic sheeting, it isn't vinyl.  The only way you can use vinyl is to stitch all of the panels together which can then be glued down,  The problem with this is that even with the best glue available to heat that the dash takes won't give you a lasting solution.  I reconed my dash and it didn't take that long and looked better than the dash board doctor.  It's on my build thread and happy to give you any pointers.  The bunnings foam isn't much good apart from filling very deep cracks but to do it properly means that you have to have good depth to your cracks to be able to apply commercial bumper putty so that it holds together - anyway check out how I did mine, got a better result than I thought could be achieved and no fibreglass involved.

Cheers

rev,

so there are 2 variations then

1.bunings foam, then fiberglass mattings, then filler, then textured paint one?

2. foam, then bumper filler, then paint?

Yep!  The bumper filler is far more pliable when set.  It is easily sanded and moulded.  I'll try and find the link to my build thread if it helps.

here it is http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/12839-revs-new-zed/page-6

Edited by reverendzed