Rev's New USA Build

Cost me $4300 and a whopping $35.00 per year rego! Yeah I was going to go all American Muscle but couldn't help it!

Rev.

P.s it's kinda not the same without all the Zpeople to go with it!

• Administrators

Cost me $4300 and a whopping $35.00 per year rego! Yeah I was going to go all American Muscle but couldn't help it!

Rev.

P.s it's kinda not the same without all the Zpeople to go with it!

Yeah dirt cheap over there. I seriously considered importing a Californian S30 to Ireland. It wasn't going to cost all that much, but knowing Z's I was worried about hidden rust that photos over the net wouldn't show.

Good thing how cheap it is to keep classics registered.

You know what I miss about owning, driving and fixing the Z in Australia is the community of owners. If I could have found a 240z cheap enough here I would have bought it, but as it turns out the FD RX-7 was going to be pretty damn cheap, to buy that is, not own. I also thought I should venture out and own something else otherwise I'd only own S30's all my life haha.

Go Rev, well done mate !

Hope all is well over in them there parts, from the looks of things they must be seeing you found a new toy.

Dont be a stranger.......

Cheers

John

• Moderators

You didn't waste much time Rev! haha. I should send you some "Euro Spec" taillights to make it that bit different to all the others..Hope all is well for you there.

Great work Rev. When do you start stripping it? ;D

Dave,

Im sure if you plan to do so, a few of us would pitch in with a cheaper by the dozen weekend in Florida !

You just need to pay the airfares LOL

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all making me HOMESICK :'(

Haven't had much time to do anything yet, but as this car had been sitting in a garage for many years it seems that it had picked up dust and grime which made the paint worse.  Picked up a 'clay bar pack' that I heard of a while ago, after a wash you use a spray lubricant and then rub the clay bar over the paint work.  It picks up everything! it is amazing! I had cut the paint and it still felt kinda rough, went over it with the clay bar and smooth as  a baby's butt!

Looking forward to draining the fuel tank, giving it some fresh fuel and see if it runs any better.  It starts straight away but runs rough, could be stale fuel, could be carbs?

And yes, keeping my eyes out for triples Scoot!

Rev.

• Administrators

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all making me HOMESICK :'(

Haven't had much time to do anything yet, but as this car had been sitting in a garage for many years it seems that it had picked up dust and grime which made the paint worse.  Picked up a 'clay bar pack' that I heard of a while ago, after a wash you use a spray lubricant and then rub the clay bar over the paint work.  It picks up everything! it is amazing! I had cut the paint and it still felt kinda rough, went over it with the clay bar and smooth as  a baby's butt!

Looking forward to draining the fuel tank, giving it some fresh fuel and see if it runs any better.  It starts straight away but runs rough, could be stale fuel, could be carbs?

And yes, keeping my eyes out for triples Scoot!

Rev.

I love how motivated you are, you inspire me to pull the finger out with my own ride. Which brings me to a question re: Clay Bar I've read about these too and seen a few videos on the net about it. I wanted to use it on my FD before trying to polish it up as the paint is a little dull (especially around the roof). Do you have any tips for working with the stuff or is it pretty fool proof? Also any particular brand?

The clay bar that Rev is talking about in known as over spray clay in Aus and it works a treat with Windex.  Trade paint suppliers should have it or possibly Repco it comes in about three grades, it starts out looking like a cake of soap but as you use it and it picks up grit you will get best results by continually folding it in on itself, it should be stored in an air tight container or plastic bag.

It really is unbelievable the first time you see it in use.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the red beast started and it is blowing a gut full of blueish/white smoke, I mean LOTS.  Doesn't sound good? any thoughts guys.  Had a guy from one of the "z" clubs here give me a hand last night and he was very knowledgeable, but it wan't until now that i got to actually take it out on the road, almost gassed myself!

Rev.

Ok rev - you got a smoker there I hear - time to make it a non smoker - as we know smoking is not good for your engine.

Blue ish colour = usually signs that oil is getting in to the cylinder and is burning - ring issue - if it has been stilling a long time it might be just the oil ring that is stuck. Best to a compression test to see if the other rings are not stuck too. If not stuck then then they need replacing - tear down time.

White colour = usually means steam aka water getting into the cylinder. Look for water in the oil or oil in the water - Chocolate Milk Shake in the stump or on the oil filler cap a good ID of this - but I am sure you know this already. This could be as simple as blown head gasket, or it could mean more, corroded head :( etc

either way - both smoke issues could be a complete strip and rebuild of the engine is required.

Hope that helps.