A reminder about forum policy

I was one of those who was hijacking a certain members Karma rating points, in total I believe I hit it down by about 3.

+1 i am the other 

DERRYN+SHAME+HINCH+copy.png

Laughs aside though, im a$$hole no.1

I have been hitting it down 1 point at a time for the last 4 or so months, every day, -1 point.

Why?

Well because i dont think he should have had that much when he was basically a bit of a knob.

I dont think much of him, but i also dont have a problem with him.

My intention was to run his karma down to around 20 or so, then leave it, Bring him down to the same level as the rest of us.

If i should take a holiday, so be it. no sweat off my back, i have plenty of other things to occupy me.

I do think that this karma thing is not needed, and i agree with RB30X that a trader rating would be better suited.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For heavens sake Gav, remove the Karma all together.

Clearly some children take it to heart  ::)

After everything that has been written, how can you belittle the person who was vilified by the system.

Really, that remark isn't justified.

Obviously I am in the minority but I like the karma thing (without the ability to subtract). I don't understand how it could hurt anything?? I find it interesting to see who helps their fellow zed owners. It might not be accurate but who the heck cares.

Obviously I am in the minority but I like the karma thing (without the ability to subtract). I don't understand how it could hurt anything?? I find it interesting to see who helps their fellow zed owners. It might not be accurate but who the heck cares.

+1 karma for you.

OK, the others clearing their ®souls has forced my hand.  I am another that has been amusing myself in a kind of inane way by removing karma from another.  And yes I justified it to myself by suggesting that it was to balance the equation etc.  but ......

Zedrally, he wasn't vilified by the system, but by a small group of us - Alan I had no idea, you cunning beggar!!  I notice that 'he' is quiet on the subject - perhaps 'he' is concerned that someone might realise that Lurch's (and yes he had nothing to do with this) karma has been going backwards ever since 'his' started going south.  Some misguided revenge.  Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

Yes this was childish school yard pranks, a bit of tit-for-tat, but really running to the teacher 'cause the other kids are doing it better??

Could this be the end of karma?  Could this mean trouble for MaygZ and Co.?  or is it just rubbing salt(y) into 'his' wounds?  Find out more in next weeks episode of karma Soap.

Please note:- no one who was neg karmaing 'him' has identified the recipient.  There was never an intention to publically name, embarrass or vilify any person.  It was a behind the scenes prank.  Just a quieter form of the silly batter that has been going on.

• Administrators

Wow this thread got long quick...

1. Karma was really intended to help newer members know who the long standing members are and if their advice is useful. When you first join a community you have no idea who is giving good advice and who is just talking (sorry for swearing Rev) shite! The idea was that it would help speed up the process of getting to know the active helpful members.

By the way I'm not saying anyone here talks shite lol..

I do agree a trader rating might be a better idea because that way you know someone is trustworthy when it comes to buying parts etc.. Just like eBay.

2. Correcting an error, well the error technically wasn't an error. Here's what happened with Salty's Karma. He was in the negative and kicked up a big stink about it, I'm sure you all recall. So what I did was remove the negative link from the sites template (obviously not the PM template - oops!) and I did a database reset of EVERYBODY's negative karma rating.

Interestingly the karma votes were stored in 2 separate rows of the member tables. So let's say I had 30 votes (in positive) and 10 votes (in negative) my total would show 20.

Even though Salty's karma was -40 odd, he actually had a large amount of positive votes. So when I reset everything he went into the positive.

Salty actually deleted all his posts, so I considered removing all his karma ratings too. But I didn't think it was worth the effort of updating the database for 1 members rating. Obviously I underestimated that everyone else saw it as important and wanted to correct an error.

3. I wasn't actually worried about the negative votes myself, I was more concerned that a small group of members were going out of their way to ostracise another member. As I say I don't think everyone should get along sing songs and hold hands, just agree to disagree.

If I was to let others 'bully' - I say bully but perhaps that is over exaggerating the situation, another member. Then it opens the door for others to do the same.

4. My girlfriend has pointed out that perhaps the word "karma" is part of the problem. It could be that some feel a bit superstitious about bad karma.

5. I now know why Google+ and Facebook don't allow negatives or dislikes. The drama of it all :).

6. I think I might remove karma but before I do, does anyone have any last words or reasons to keep it?

Personally i think the karma is a positive, not so sure on the name but it is an easy way to express your appreciation. Its a bit hard to buy someone a beer for their troubles when they are on the other side of the country so its a good alternative. Remove the negative and let +karma be a digital cheers. Someone will always have more +'s than you but if that bothers you grow up! Remember that we are all here to share what we know and enjoy owning z's. Its not a stupid competition.

Hi Gav, from a newbie and my self belonging to a bike forum that is self moderated keeping this Kama stuff is going to be a lot of trouble, giving somebody away to stab you in the back with out any body knowing who it was, On the bike forum if somebody is a tool they are told so and sometimes it may explode into something but the fact it is not removed it shows other the real person be hide the screen, when ever you have a problem with some one you should only say what you would to their face as one day you may all meet.

This bike forum was started because the other forum we all belonged to was over moderated and members got kicked off for very little reason.

It would be years now that we had a big blow out and works fine, Mods are only used to correct site problem, clearly kids are going to get upset if somebody has more gold stars than them.

As to these naughty boys, one bad star each and one gold star each for coming forward, I would have more respect for somebody who told me to my face they have a problem with what I said.

This site already has a culture that is, almost, self moderating.  >:(

If someone's a tool, or has poor business practices  ;D, they get flamed.

As for Karma.

Not fussed either way.

Keep it, get rid of it? *shrugs shoulders*  :-\

Is it going to affect my life? Pfft  ::)

If this is the biggest problem in someones life?

You are blessed my friend.  8)

However, if you want to remove the smiley's, I'd get upset  :'(

As to Gav's point one - as a new member the Karma rating could help a new member get a bit of an idea of who to trust etc, but it seems to be so all over the place it can be pretty much ignored as any sort of help - it seems to be more of a popularity rating. So as a new member who it is designed to help - I didn't find it very useful.

One of the probelms with the internet is a lot of people say things online that they would never say to a persons face, and a lot of people (not just on here) get very upset by what is said online. Therefore a huge probelem with Karma is that it is anonymous and without cause. You can - or + someone without saying who you are, and without saying why you did it, which leads to what some would call this sort of petty behaviour, but some others would take to heart (harrassment is in the opinion of the person on the recieving end etc)

But, as someone else pointed out, it is pretty hard to buy someone a beer when they have helped you from the other side of the country, and it is nice to be able to give someone a public accolade when they have been helpful.

My suggestion is either get rid of karma totally, or make it accountable. You could make it accountable by having a "karma thread" and to give someone good or bad karma you have to post who you are and why you want to + or - the other person. This would then have to be supported by at least 2 other people before being added or subtracted to a persons rating. Having a system that was this involved would mean it could be taken seriously by new members, but it may require waaaay too much work from moderators to be practical?

I agree with Alaingus

Next to each poster there is the word Karma, and also the + Karma button.

Gav mentioned there is a back laying table that records Karma, if the word Karma next to the posters avatar also became a button which opened up that persons tally you could spot the ppl who made the accolades, this would give a high degree of accountability and by the same token reduce the steroid use of Karma down to a responsible level in line with that person value add.

My suggestion is either get rid of karma totally, or make it accountable. You could make it accountable by having a "karma thread" and to give someone good or bad karma you have to post who you are and why you want to + or - the other person. This would then have to be supported by at least 2 other people before being added or subtracted to a persons rating. Having a system that was this involved would mean it could be taken seriously by new members, but it may require waaaay too much work from moderators to be practical?

Thats all too hard.

Just get rid of it then to end all the tears  :'(

But what about the people on this site that live and die by their Karma rating?

Will they have to get a life?

Will they not be nice anymore because they will not get a Karma?

I think you can soon work out who the helpful people are on this site. Plus the number of posts is probably the best indicator. Although we might be a little miss led by the odd user who just talks a lot because they like to see their words in print.

Have a good day all. Oh and maybe we could even talk about Zeds.

Yes my Zeds power steering is about to be bolted in. Thanks for asking.  :D

But what about the people on this site that live and die by their Karma rating?

Will they have to get a life?

LOL!  ;D

Don't you guys have cars to work on instead of getting involved in this nonsense?! (I don't, mine runs perfectly fine). There were never any issues like this before Karma, and I am quite sure we know who we all are or have a 'buddy' that we can ask if we need to know anything. It was pretty much self moderated on here, people that wernt welcome were told to take a hike, etc... I am sure nothing has really changed, except maybe someone has taken this 'fun Karma thing' too seriously. I quite enjoyed it, but wont miss it :)

Jane  8)

Lets face it madz you bought a mechanically great car and you thought  karma was fun because it put Lurch in a good mood when you boosted his to over a 100...lol

DELETE KARMA this will stop the rot

There is heaps better to talk about , how about we help " luvemfast " with his premature sex problem...not a great moniker/post name Simon :)

Sigh..

It's not the use of the Karma button or it's removal that is the problem.

It's the vilification of a forum member  by it's use, that's the issue.

Removing the karma system doesn't necessarily change the culture.

I still haven't the foggiest as to what the issue was that certain members had with this member nor do I want to know either.

Scrap karma, lock this thread, learn to be more tolerent and worry about how to get our cars on the road instead.

This is really beautiful

Dozens of men constantly talking publicly about their feelings toward one another ..

someone pass the tissues!

I think the way around this is simple

1 Get rid of karma

2 At the next xmas bash we make it just that, a bash, everyone brings a baseball bat and you club the ppl you least like.

3 Last man or woman standing is the Karma Poobah