She's a bit rusty.

qgAa4GK.jpg

hiM6Udc.jpg

151Fbd3.jpg

Xdn8cCo.jpg

5vXHQfW.jpg

OK, a lot rusty!

Emepfmj.jpg

In fact it might be extremely costly to save her.

RL1CPlC.jpg

But there is hope! For where there was once life...

L9yKfc0.jpg

...there can be life once again.

uTgXZbA.jpg

That is if I replace every part here.

7Ue44AM.jpg

And every part here.

5kHDeXq.jpg

I'm sure I can afford to replace everything in this photo.

sWLBt1f.jpg

If I step on this it will just go away. Problem solved.

XHOqS2n.jpg

I don't need to worry about this section - if I try real hard I can always just stare forward.

Ov5xicW.jpg

2IwkBDM.jpg

But what is this! A donor car!? That's only half rusted...

FtIISKm.jpg

It is possible we just might hear this engine sing again...

KPKWPC7.jpg

And this body roll with pride again...

4ywPQhi.jpg

And this plate shine again...

Vg11DSS.jpg

For her 50th birthday.

I'm elated but when I think of the work ahead I get a bit deflated.  :-\

Cheers all. Hope to get this car back on the road in X amount of years with an X budget but hopefully not an X-wife.

Lurch, I was what you would call lucky. You need a bit of luck with these things. I found it via a post on my Facebook page.

I haven't slept or thought straight since the moment I first made contact to the moment it was safely in my garage - as you can imagine. Heading there tomorrow to pick up the parts car and the original engine. To be honest I haven't even looked at the parts car with any thoroughness. It might be a big dud but as long as I can get some panels out of it I'll be happy.

WOW George,

Firstly congrats on buying an early Zed, secondly can I have my plates back? I was looking for AF240! and now I know where they are!

That reminds me of the Brown Hornet in May 09, but unfortunately yours does look a fair amount worse than mine was, and mine was BAD! With the budget, just take it one step at a time, but for me the total cost has exceeded my initial budget several times. Nat put over 1000hours into my body, so you'll need to pace it.

Great to know you have such an early car, with matching numbers that will see the value equation work perhaps better than it did for others on the road.

Will be an interesting build. Do you plan on doing the body work yourself, or are you going to farm it out?

If you want to come over and have a look at the Hornet to see what we did, by all means drop by, i'll here this long weekend.

Best of luck

Adam

Wow nice find George, the parts car looks immaculate by comparison and too good to cut up! Keep an eye out for another roof cut, you can save both of them! Looks like the original color may have been white? Good luck with the build, the race between you and Gav is now on! At least TAFE will have two guaranteed enrolments for the next 20 years :) Love the hurricane wheels too.

• Administrators

Woo! awesome pick up mate. Wow #19 that is definitely not a car that has been seen or heard from in a long time. I'm excited for you and I'll be enrolling Monday in the date course. Got paid today ;).

Don't worry mate I know the sinking feeling of I've bitten off more than I can chew but between the both of us we will get both the early cars sorted.

Your door card has screws at the bottom I noticed it on mine also. I think the early cars were like that which is not something I had known about before. Will be interesting to compare notes.

Can't believe matching numbers too!

I'll be interested in bits of the parts car I'm sure. But it might be worth saving in itself.

Apart from HS30 0004 do we know of any earlier cars than this?

What colour was it originally? Red interior hmmm ;) Silver?

WOW! Low number HS30 survivor! I'm very pleased to see this. Congrats!

Probably late April / May 1970 production?

Interesting to see the headlamp housings / 'sugar scoops' rusting out. Originals would have been FRP / Poly, so possible evidence of past repair? Seats look later type.

I'm thinking 920 Gold / Safari Brown or possibly 918 Grand Prix Orange as the original factory colour, with normal black interior?

I'll be cheering you on with this one. Good luck!

Adam, I believe you should be able to get the plates. If they are on hold by the owner and you really want them I can put you in touch.

Re doing the repair work, I am undecided. It all depends on how extensive it is and it looks to be very bad. I'll know once I strip it but I haven't ruled out having it done professionally.

Thanks for the offer to check out the Brown Hornet. Would love to but possibly another time. I've got a pretty busy weekend with some home renovations.

Gav / Alan, have not confirmed the exact colour yet. It might be 920 by the look of it.

Well done George.

To answer Gav HS30-00016 that I used to own in now in NSW with Peter who I sold it to. Peter also found HS30-00013 which he said was the sister car as both where the colour specs, red. 13 gave up a number of parts and body panels for 16 then I believe the remains of HS30-00013 where sold and now reside in the UK.

The rusted sugar scope, like Alan, makes me think it had been replaced after a bingal as they should be FRP as pointed out by Alan.

I know others would not like to here this but last I heard HS30-00016 had zg flares (replacing the 70's ugly bonded on flares it had) and was getting a rb26 turbo engine transplant.

Peter also found HS30-00013 which he said was the sister car as both where the colour specs, red. 13 gave up a number of parts and body panels for 16 then I believe the remains of HS30-00013 where sold and now reside in the UK.

Last time I saw them, 'HS30-00013's firewall-engraved chassis number ( and about 6cm of sheetmetal all around it ) and engine bay VIN tag were hanging on the wall of a friend's garage......

Apart from HS30 0004 do we know of any earlier cars than this?

I know a bloke who owned #2 or #3 (I can't remember) in the late 80's or early 90's.

Next time I see him, I'll get a copy of the photo he took of it.

I know others would not like to here this but last I heard HS30-00016 had zg flares (replacing the 70's ugly bonded on flares it had) and was getting a rb26 turbo engine transplant.

It was at the Nissan Datsun Nationals last year running around P.I. It even got an article in Race Magazine...

Someone on the Classic Z forums said the same thing Mike. :P

Thanks mossy. Bookmarked. ;)

Today was a busy 12 hour day. Picked up the donor car and the matching engine for the black one. Ended up hiring a hoist as I didn't have enough time nor did I want to be rushed into buying one in the morning. All went well until the wife saw this other rust-bucket sitting in the front yard. She thinks the neighbours have immediately labelled us as Rednecks. My mission tomorrow is to move some stuff around so that I can move the car to its permanent spot.

MLZDjYQ.jpg

It has had a front ender and the rails are badly damaged. The front end was poking out in the rain so most of it is rusted. The rear looks half decent. Good news is the previous owner had a spare FR guard which has some surface rust but will do just fine. :)

2hb2L50.jpg

dQqUNFK.jpg

I then decided to pull the engine out of the black one while I had the hoist.

sBWEhaK.jpg

A good kilo of rust fell out in the process. Happy days.

• Administrators

Ahh that does look like a donor Z after all lol...

Nice work getting the motor out. How much did the hoist cost to hire?

So it didn't have the original motor in it I'm guessing?

• Administrators

You should get onto Tabco George and buy all the rust repair panels, you can get them sent over to Australia by container by someone like JT imports

Hi mate, what is Tabco? You wouldn't buy locally reproduction rust repair panels from rare spares or similar? Or have I missed something?