Will Zg Flares Devalue My 240?

drifta1600

You will kill it's future potential resale value.

Once rear guard lips are cut, and reshaped to fit inner wells, and rewelded, thats renders the body shell extremely difficult, and costly, to get back right. You also need a donor car ( rare). Rust free, to cannabalise.

Do flares on a 260Z 2+2, if you must.

260Z 2 seaters are even rarer.

Totally up to you, it's your car!

If the main thing about having a 240Z is the resale value then sell it and buy a house - you'll be much better off. It's your car, have it your way. Just cut mine as I love the look and have no plans to sell once done. Not sure the resale is necessarily adversely affected, more likely the number of potential buyers is diminished. Enjoy the car exactly how you want it...

• Administrators

I personally would only do it if building a replica HS30-H or Work Period Race car, not to fit the latest Rota's and go hella flush like all the kids on Facebook... 

If the main thing about having a 240Z is the resale value then sell it and buy a house - you'll be much better off. It's your car, have it your way. Just cut mine as I love the look and have no plans to sell once done. Not sure the resale is necessarily adversely affected, more likely the number of potential buyers is diminished. Enjoy the car exactly how you want it...

Actually classic cars are outperforming the "buy and hold" real estate strategy by multiples in many cases.

I don't ever plan to sell my cars but I'll be putting one on the market again in the coming days, because plans change.

ps. I don't have flares on my cars because I don't like them, though I think part of me doesn't like them because they kill the value.

Edited by cracker

... Will this devalue my z? ...

Absolutely, and quite significantly.

This last week I watched Chasing Classic Cars (Season 10, Episode 11 - American Muscle). A chap had three muscle cars, a '69 Camaro, a Barracuda and something else. They were called Resto Mods, older cars with modern componentry. The kind of work Chip Foose does on Overhaulin'. Expertly done mind you but the modifications near make me cry; 22" wheels, a blown this and that, everything chromed, etc, etc,. 

The owner paid around $110k for each around 10 years ago and spent $30k-$40k modifying them even further. I'm not talking really over-the-top mods but thing like reupholstering to non-original, removing door handles, etc, etc.

At auction they went for $80k-$85k.

It's your car, do what you want but I'd suggest nothing that isn't easily reversible. 

Edited by PeterAllen

• Administrators

Absolutely, and quite significantly.

The kind of work Chip Foose does on Overhaulin'. Expertly done mind you but the modifications near make me cry; 22" wheels, a blown this and that, everything chromed, etc, etc,. 

Yeah basically the kind of mods that look dated in a couple of years.... That's why going with period correct parts is my thing... I like my cars looking like they should, not trying to emulate the latest hipster fad.

Thanks for your reply mate. How many collectors buy 240s though? Most people buy them to enjoy and drive dont they?

It's the "new" zed thing to do, everyone from those circles are jumping on the bandwagon now they can't afford a 911 and buying a zed.

I've cut and flared my car though, because they look better with flares and wide wheels. To me I have tried to modify it like it would have been back in day, a period race car for the street kind of look, but with some modern tech where appropriate. I'm happy that everyone doesn't want to run flares anymore. It was the Internet en vogue thing to do before and there were lots of cars getting flares slapped on and ill-fitting wheels.

I think it's like any modification you do to a car or bike; you need to do it in a well thought out and carefully considered manner. It's hard to modify a car to have wide appeal and a hell of a lot of extra work.

I see so many zeds, where people go out and buy the standard checklist of parts (or "close enough" copies), bolt it all on and think it looks good. To me these are just pigs with lipstick and these are the cars that discerning buyers look at and say "no thanks" to, or offer a seller half their asking pricing and spend money putting them back to standard. Take the Singer 911's as an example of a modified car (with flared guards no less) where the modification have definitely not effected the value of the car. But again, that is the car as a whole package working well.

Z-G flares were also factory options at the end of the day, sold for racing and fitted on factory models for homolgation purposes. The reason the guards weren't cut from the factory was most definitely, a cost saving measure and I bet you wouldn't have found a race car running flares without them cut.

A pic of my abomination for the flare haters out there (the correct wheels aren't fitted in the pic ;) ).

post-100549-0-33086200-1482033014_thumb.jpg

Edited by d3c0y

It's the "new" zed thing to do, everyone from those circles are jumping on the bandwagon now they can't afford a 911 and buying a zed.

I've cut and flared my car though, because they look better with flares and wide wheels. To me I have tried to modify it like it would have been back in day, a period race car for the street kind of look, but with some modern tech where appropriate. I'm happy that everyone doesn't want to run flares anymore. It was the Internet en vogue thing to do before and there were lots of cars getting flares slapped on and ill-fitting wheels.

I think it's like any modification you do to a car or bike; you need to do it in a well thought out and carefully considered manner. It's hard to modify a car to have wide appeal and a hell of a lot of extra work.

I see so many zeds, where people go out and buy the standard checklist of parts (or "close enough" copies), bolt it all on and think it looks good. To me these are just pigs with lipstick and these are the cars that discerning buyers look at and say "no thanks" to, or offer a seller half their asking pricing and spend money putting them back to standard. Take the Singer 911's as an example of a modified car (with flared guards no less) where the modification have definitely not effected the value of the car. But again, that is the car as a whole package working well.

Z-G flares were also factory options at the end of the day, sold for racing and fitted on factory models for homolgation purposes. The reason the guards weren't cut from the factory was most definitely, a cost saving measure and I bet you wouldn't have found a race car running flares without them cut.

A pic of my abomination for the flare haters out there (the correct wheels aren't fitted in the pic ;) ).

20150712_190338_001.jpg

Thats how i feel.. but id hate to do it to find out its hard to sell.. but hey, its it was so appealing to do it back in the day, and appealing to do it now.. why would people all of a sudden not like it in the future..

It is a very personal choice. The tide has definitely turned on this trend though, with most choosing to stay original. I have previously had a car with flares and at the time I thought it was pretty cool but I would never consider it with my current early car. I can also remember being scared to drive it because of the police attention it attracted and the fear of being defected, so never again.

It is a very personal choice. The tide has definitely turned on this trend though, with most choosing to stay original. I have previously had a car with flares and at the time I thought it was pretty cool but I would never consider it with my current early car. I can also remember being scared to drive it because of the police attention it attracted and the fear of being defected, so never again.

Yeah.. i hate defects. Its a good point.. might just fill the gaurds out with something as fat as i can go..

It's all down to personal preference. I tend to sit on an idea for a few months before doing it, just in case I change my mind.

The rear guards on my 240z are rotten/mangled, so I tossed up the idea of having flares and whilst the flares look great from some angles, they look out of place from all other angles. So I decided against it, but overall build the car to your taste and not to someone elses for the purposes of resale value, you can't please everyone. 

• Administrators

Your car was originally 907 Green, 1 of my favorite colours for an early S30Z. I reckon if you look at some of the examples here you'll realise no need to hack up the guards.

https://goo.gl/photos/LdN9LBLf4h3x4TU56

Coolnvintage-Datsun-240Z-37-of-123.jpg

Why are you going to get defected for having flares? They aren't an illegal modification; you don't have to run 10" wide wheels with them. Also, as if a cop is going to know what is standard on a 40 year old 240Z. How many of you are running steering wheels with no horn pad. Uh-oh, defect! We better only run the standard steering wheels in case we upset mr plod or a collector.

When was the last time someone here even got a defect on their zed? The only thing I am worried about getting a defect for with my zed is being too low and that's because it will be low.

It's a bad idea. ..

So the 15x10 & 12.5" guards you say you are searching for in your sig are going to be fitted to a car with standard guards?

I find this recent negative attitude towards flares and a car's value in our circle odd, and I don't think it's shared in Japan. Even though they are factory option parts (The sports option catalog even lists 8" and 10" watanabes and flares) and the highest trim level available from the factory had them fitted as standard, they are viewed as defacing the car.

What is with this, please explain this to me haters? Is it because this is a stereotyping that any car with flares must automatically be drift bro, speedhunters, yolo spec?