Jump to content

George

Members
  • Posts

    1,981
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    32

Everything posted by George

  1. The insurance company sent out a clean up crew an hour after I called them! They called them 'The Restorers'. The prompt response made me feel like I was in the movies with a hit-man-clean-up crew speeding through the streets of wet Sydney to come to my place. It was crazy and totally unexpected from an insurance company. Unfortunately they had to come back this morning after the water was all drained out. Also unfortunately, the engines, tranny and diff are not covered by the home insurance policy (as far as I'm told). I'm not too fussed but I was hoping they'd pony up for a nice professional clean (or dry as it were).
  2. The circuit breaker was fine but I'm not ruling out an electrical problem. I did note a lot of sludge in the pit and I believe it has not been cleaned in a few years.
  3. There's a pit in front of the underground garage door which collects all the rainwater and the pumps failed. One is a backup so I'm not sure what happened but I suspect a blocked pipe as they use the same one. Waiting for a plumber to come and check them out.
  4. So this just happened today. The spare engine is on the left and is sitting on the sump. Seems ok. The matching numbers engine leaning against the wall got some water in I believe so it will need some attention. I also had a tranny and the diff sitting on a trolley further back but they barely got a splash on them. Long day and we're still a bit damp! The water got up to around 12cm in places and did a bit of damage but nothing that the insurance can't fix. Just a bit of a pain really.
  5. Demand much!? Congrats to both parties!
  6. Welcome David All pics are nice ones so post them up! Enjoy the ride.
  7. Bring it on! I've got my eye patch ready.
  8. Going up on Sunday. It's an excuse to have a little road trip and enjoy Newcastle as well.
  9. Mate, the other half wants it more than I do! She thinks it's 'cute' and keeps teasing me that it's better looking that the rusty 240 I bought.
  10. You've no idea how tempted I am to drive up this weekend and drive away with it. It would keep me busy while the 240 gets built but that's also the problem - it will distract me...
  11. What's your budget Adam?
  12. That's enough to make a grown man cry. Not admitting to anything... just saying.
  13. I doubt he's selling it all for $20. You would need to contact him re specific parts and prices.
  14. Congratulations! I can see the smile from here :-)
  15. Classic Car Rescue - Bit of humour, an animated bald man that yells a lot and lots of classics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtEHgOi-txk
  16. haha Anyway, I'll be watching it 15 minutes after it starts again... wife is obsessed with Offspring and will punch me in the nuts if I touch the remote.
  17. I noticed that too Alex but it has a later style steering wheel and the roof badges are the round type. Possibly just the centre console is from an early car...?
  18. A good problem to have. Here's hoping your run of accidents ends and you filled your life's quota in your early years.
  19. That's ghetto Peter. I love it. I picked up a Sher Shopmate, (all you old DIY'ers ought to know what that is) which has a fantastic 50+ year old drill and still going strong. Need to restore the 'table saw'. I've got a bench grinder converted to a buffing machine which ought to do most of what I need. On the media blaster, found this old thread from Mick: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=12916.0
  20. Me three. Keen to hear your thoughts on the cabinet Mick. What is the size limit?
  21. Restoration Garage - TV Show https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXWfDerc7ikIs5NOl5XX_NQ Just watching the first episode now. No idea if it's any good but looks interesting so far. Edit: Looks to be in the same vein as American Hotrod if you've seen that show. Mostly shop drama around big dollar builds.
  22. Mick, did you polish any of them or are they all just blasted and then plated? Do the same guys do the blasting?
  23. Gav, Peter and I paid $80 for a small lot of parts but in saying that I don't think it'll go up by much, if at all, if we had twice as many parts. To a plater I imagine the cost is in the prep as that's the manual component. As long as that part of the job is relatively easy it shouldn't cost a lot. I wouldn't do everything at once if it's the first time you're using the plater. Try them out with a small collection of parts and if you're happy do the lot. As for loosing parts, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you don't give them a chance. By that I mean drop them off and pick them up ASAP. I understand your concern there and I'm sure they would as well so bring it up prior to engaging their services. I bet they get that question from restorers all the time.
×
×
  • Create New...