acf321 Posted July 27, 2011 Posted July 27, 2011 Here's one for the purists.. I'm looking to buy a correct 'vertical' line demister rear hatch glass, but can somebody confirm what years the Australian delivered cars used this pattern as opposed to the later cars with horizontal demister. Apologies if this has been done to death before, but I did a quick search and did not see it. The only detail I have heard is that 'early' cars had vertical, with 'later' cars having the horizontal. Does anybody know the actual dates? Rgds Adam Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted July 27, 2011 Moderators Posted July 27, 2011 Adam, my early 240 doesn't have a demister at all. I know the US spec cars did come with them and all the 260's in Oz. Quote
silverz Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 Adam, My 1973 240z doesn't have a rear window demister either. I am pretty sure it is the original rear window, still has the Datsun dealer sticker on it etc. Regards Peter Quote
KatoKid Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 My 4/71 has the wiring but no demister lines. Quote
NZeder Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 it was an option - so I guess in Oz the dealers did not option it in. Might have been a marketing exercise to keep the pricing point lower - who knows some 40years later. I am sure there were more optioned in the US due to the backorder - the Dealer were doing all sort of up sells in the US to add more margin to their sales. So they might have said we can only get ones with the demister for and extra $250 (when maybe the option was only $75) Again who knows a long time ago. All I an go by is the part catalogue I have for the RHD Export market aka UK, AU, NZ, Pacific Islands part of EU etc. That shows Standard was just Temperd (exc EU model) Options were Tinned and Temperd (for EU model - upto 12-71) Heat Anti Sun (for EU model - from 01-72) Heat & Temperd (exc EU Model - no years stated) Heat & Temperd (exc EU Model - upto 12-71) Heating (exc EU Model - from 01-72) Heat for Australia (no years stated) All of these have different part numbers - and only applies to the 240z up 07/73 aka when production stopped on the 240z as the new 260z started in 08/73 So I can only assume the difference in the pre 12/71 and post 01/72 Heat options was Horizontal vs Vertical lines for the demister. I would say the Australian only listing (much like the 260z partnumbers/options) was to show a local glass supplier was used (could have been to help make up the % of local content that might have been a requirement) or due to ADR a different glass was required. In the catalogue for the 260z 2 seater model the Australian only partnumber does state it is 5.0mm thick vs the other markets which are 4.0mm thick - so this might indicate an ADR requirement. Quote
RBZ 260 Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 well to confuse the issue. my 1970 has original tailgate and glass and has no demister. i'm pretty sure its original tailgate and glass that was never removed (its rusted shut) my 1972 had someone fit a S1 tailgate (one with vents on it like the early ones) which has vertical demister so early S1 did come with vertical demister and seems to be a option that not many people ticked. I have seen 72 to 74 with horizontal demisters. Now if they fitted a 260z I wouldn't know. Quote
Cozza Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 My 4/71 has the wiring but no demister lines. Same with my 9/72, pretty sure it is the original screen. I would like a demister screen though, does anyone know where to find one? Mick Quote
NZeder Posted July 28, 2011 Posted July 28, 2011 Same with my 9/72, pretty sure it is the original screen. I would like a demister screen though, does anyone know where to find one? Mick A 260z coupe would be the best bet Quote
acf321 Posted July 28, 2011 Author Posted July 28, 2011 Thanks everyone .. OK, so it seems the early cars around 70 had them, but this was likely an option. The post 70/71 cars, also seeming to be options appear to have used the later horizontal demisters. I guess my car (May 71 build) had a demister, as there is a demister switch in it, and i'm guessing its original. My current rear screen is a good quality one and has the horizontal demister in it. I will be selling this too, if anyone has interest as i have bought a vertical demister rear screen, again for that early look. I have one member at this stage interested, so if it falls through i'll advertise it properly. Appreciate everybody's input, you guys are great. Adam. Quote
gilltech Posted July 29, 2011 Posted July 29, 2011 FWIW my very early 260 2-seat sold new in NZ has original rear glass but no demister or demister switch & light, although the wiring loom is there. So a demister must have been an option. All the glass on the car has a slight blue tint. Quote
Cozza Posted August 5, 2011 Posted August 5, 2011 Adam pm sent regarding spare horizontal demister screen Cheers Mick Quote
C.A.R. Posted August 12, 2011 Posted August 12, 2011 Woops... Going back through the stack of paperwork that came with my Early Girl, it apprears Harry had Gordon fit a rear demister screen into it.... Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted August 13, 2011 Moderators Posted August 13, 2011 Thought so, I had a close look at my loom in the rear and the connectors for the rear demister are taped to the main loom. Quote
zeds4ever Posted August 18, 2011 Posted August 18, 2011 WHEREABOUTS CAN ONE GET A REPAIR JOB DONE ON A DFCTVE UNIT. SYDNEY ENVIRON PREFERABLY. REGARDS: ALAN. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.