Some more cool Z videos - youtube.com

Toecutter

Green Hornet again.

This car just shows how good the basic S30 design is and why it should be given the credit it is due. Of course it's not the only outstanding example of it's kind so it's no exception, no contemporary can and does come near it.

• Administrators

This car just shows how good the basic S30 design is and why it should be given the credit it is due. Of course it's not the only outstanding example of it's kind so it's no exception, no contemporary can and does come near it.

Might have something to do with 45+ years of engine innovation and the fact that the motor is a full 1.1ltr bigger than the 2.4ltr it came with originally and running Triple 50mm Mikuni/Solex. It's still impressive, but not exactly close to showroom configuration by any stretch.

Might have something to do with 45+ years of engine innovation and the fact that the motor is a full 1.1ltr bigger than the 2.4ltr it came with originally and running Triple 50mm Mikuni/Solex. It's still impressive, but not exactly close to showroom configuration by any stretch.

The up side of course is that we have a 60's design car that is mechanically sympathetic to improvement and a chassis capable of handling and using a lot more power than it was designed for. All without any aero at all so exactly as it came off the drawing board. If that is not exceptionally impressive then I don't know what is and that is why you you love them so much isn't it Gavin ;)

The up side of course is that we have a 60's design car that is mechanically sympathetic to improvement and a chassis capable of handling and using a lot more power than it was designed for. All without any aero at all so exactly as it came off the drawing board.

To be fair, if you similarly up-engined (and up-transed/up-everythinged) many other 60s designed/engineered cars and maximised the potential of their drivetrains and suspensions, you'd be likely to get similar results.

To be fair, if you similarly up-engined (and up-transed/up-everythinged) many other 60s designed/engineered cars and maximised the potential of their drivetrains and suspensions, you'd be likely to get similar results.

That's a wild assertion with no foundation that I'm aware of although no doubt you have examples to the contary lol. When I trolled through two 60's and 70's world cars books many years ago looking for the car with the best features as proven by time it came down to two, 240Z and 911. I'm surprised that you are apparently not aware of the features that went to make the 240Z a stand out car of the time but then again the British generally were a bit slow and behind the times compared with the New World's market. The features I looked for included independent suspension all round using proven systems (eg not Triumph's crude and problematical rear suspension), R&P steering, disc brakes, well designed engine with potential, 5 speed gearbox, sleek body, compact size, strength and reliabiity and so on. You may want to do what I did back then Alan, it's an interesting exercise that puts things in perspective and then get back to me. Facts only please, not your usual eurocentic distortions that try to dismiss the real world.

Edited by 260DET

That's a wild assertion with no foundation that I'm aware of although no doubt you have examples to the contary lol. When I trolled through two 60's and 70's world cars books many years ago looking for the car with the best features as proven by time it came down to two, 240Z and 911. I'm surprised that you are apparently not aware of the features that went to make the 240Z a stand out car of the time but then again the British generally were a bit slow and behind the times compared with the New World's market. The features I looked for included independent suspension all round using proven systems (eg not Triumph's crude and problematical rear suspension), R&P steering, disc brakes, well designed engine with potential, 5 speed gearbox, sleek body, compact size, strength and reliabiity and so on. You may want to do what I did back then Alan, it's an interesting exercise that puts things in perspective and then get back to me. Facts only please, not your usual eurocentic distortions that try to dismiss the real world.

A lot of the time I find it hard to know whether you are lampooning yourself, or if you just don't know that much about cars. You talk about the "240Z" as though it was somehow the best thing since sliced bread, but - as I pointed out in your other thread - it only seems to stand up to scrutiny if you narrow the field with a price limit, as products from the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini and others, on the market at the same time and even before your "240Z", would knock it out of the park on a stock-for-stock basis. And if we are talking about stock-for-stock (it's hard to tell....) I might just laugh at the specs of your stock "240Z" and pull the 'Z432-R' card out of my pack of Top Trumps. I find it hard to take seriously anyone who wants to tell everyone how good the "240Z" was, but either ignores or forgets its more powerful, better equipped and far more sporting siblings. Conceived, designed, engineered, constructed and sold by the very same people no less...    

But if we are talking about The Green Hornet as our reference point, what is it? Is it an out and out race car? Is it a track-focused road car? What rules and regulations does it conform to, if indeed it does? Is it a short distance sprint car or does it have endurance race capabilities? How big is its fuel tank? How long do its brakes last? What tyres does it use, and how long do they last? If we are allowed to include totally re-engineered period cars in our comparison, I think it would be hard for The Green Hornet to dominate as you seem to imply that it would. How would it cope with the Low Drag E-types that now dominate Goodwood, or even the Lotus 26Rs?

I like the "Eurocentric distortions" jibe. Maybe I should include something with a Waggott in the back of it to keep you happy?

• Administrators

LOL...

I think I agree with both perspectives, in that I agree with Richard on the assertion that it's impressive that an S30Z is able to be modified and keep up with exotic machinery, but then again, what does that mean? Sure part of it is driver skill and experience, it's surely a lot more expensive to break some of those other cars and that gives the driver / owner confidence to drive an S30Z harder knowing it can be replaced at a lower price point.

I still cheer on the Green Hornet and the Siddin's effort in their "targa" 240z. But both cars represent a significantly modified engine outside of what would have been available at the time. So that's also kind of the point. 

No disrespect but let’s call the green hornet what it is by what it does. It’s a one trick (track) pony where the driver and car have been built and polished to do one thing. Go around Laguna Seca. Max speed is about 180ks by his telemetry. If you are tracking the “exotic machinery “ I’m pretty sure you can afford to bin it regardless of cost. Just because it says Porsche or Ferrari on the bonnet doesn’t mean it is all powerful and quick.

No disrespect but let’s call the green hornet what it is by what it does. It’s a one trick (track) pony where the driver and car have been built and polished to do one thing. Go around Laguna Seca. Max speed is about 180ks by his telemetry. If you are tracking the “exotic machinery “ I’m pretty sure you can afford to bin it regardless of cost. Just because it says Porsche or Ferrari on the bonnet doesn’t mean it is all powerful and quick.

I thought the green hornet was a track orientated road car. I think I’ve seen videos of it towing a trailer with track tyres to the track.????

Just because it says Porsche or Ferrari on the bonnet doesn’t mean it is all powerful and quick.

I think a key point - lost in a lot of our 'Top Trumps' style comparisons - is that if you bolt a Tugger of a driver in any car he won't realise its potential. This is one of the reasons why an underdog will sometimes shine. It's no good having the best car on paper if the driver is a wanker*

*scuse my French 

Don’t worry I’ve seen some of the power figures they put out on the dyno and it isn’t impressive. There was a prancing horse in the Group S field at Phillip Island recently. He may have not finished yet. I am with you on the trophy races at Goodwood Alan. Some of the best racing in the best classic cars with no regard for price tags. Used for their intended purpose.