Project Race-Z

So, more detail would be good, for a start what if any class are you going to race in? Underbody looks pretty good for a Zed but I've yet to see one that has has serviceable original rails, too many careless drivers.

I asked the same question.

According to the VIN (HS30-101207) mine may have been manufactured in a period where there is some conjecture about which chassis was used, there are a couple articles floating around that suggest the early 260z chassis may have been used for the last of the 240z badged Z's

Or maybe he is suggesting that someone has done something dodgy, I guess when it stripped backed to mental we will find out :-)

As much as i would love to go the dipping/blasting route the project should be called "DivorceZ", so until the "noise" subsides I have to be careful of spend :-)

So this is the process I will be following:-

1. Air scape the interior sound deadening (Completed)

2. Air scape the under body protection (Completed)

3. Remove residual 'tar' with turps and a scotch brite (90% complete)

4. Paint stripper the entire shell

5. Sandblast to finish (i have a small sandblaster)

6. Epoxy prime

7. Start repairs

Yes, long, messy and unnecessary but i am in no hurry - just over the moon to have a project :-)

While in the upside down prep phase, add another ear to each side, behing existing ears of the box hangers, that way you can more easily fit a C type gearbox, at later stage.

The C type boxes have their underside crossmember mount set 30mm to rear, of the B type boxes.

I asked the same question.

According to the VIN (HS30-101207) mine may have been manufactured in a period where there is some conjecture about which chassis was used, there are a couple articles floating around that suggest the early 260z chassis may have been used for the last of the 240z badged Z's

Please don't listen to stuff like that. It's nonsense, and a completely wrong-headed way of thinking about all this.

Nissan made constant rolling changes to these cars. Yes there were major updates which they announced in their technical bulletins, parts lists and workshop manuals, but there were also many many incremental changes which were noted in retrospect. Parts and details were shared over a wide range of variants that were built at the same time, so you have to bear that in mind and look at the wider picture.

Nissan Shatai was engraving 'HS30' prefixed chassis numbers onto the firewall of these cars from 1969 right through to late 1973, and there was great variation between them during that period. In just the same way, Nissan Shatai engraved 'RS30' prefixed chassis numbers onto firewalls from late 1973 through 1978 and there was great variation in those too. There was a period where late HS30 unibodies were very similar to early RS30 unibodies, but thinking that a "late 240Z used a 260Z chassis" or "early 260Z used a 240Z chassis" is very much the wrong way to look at this. 

Watch out for misleading information - especially when it is from the USA. USA-biased data and conjecture is not necessarily directly transferable to cars made for other markets. This is especially true when it comes to '260Z' models.

Good luck! 

Please don't listen to stuff like that. It's nonsense, and a completely wrong-headed way of thinking about all this.

Nissan made constant rolling changes to these cars. Yes there were major updates which they announced in their technical bulletins, parts lists and workshop manuals, but there were also many many incremental changes which were noted in retrospect. Parts and details were shared over a wide range of variants that were built at the same time, so you have to bear that in mind and look at the wider picture.

Nissan Shatai was engraving 'HS30' prefixed chassis numbers onto the firewall of these cars from 1969 right through to late 1973, and there was great variation between them during that period. In just the same way, Nissan Shatai engraved 'RS30' prefixed chassis numbers onto firewalls from late 1973 through 1978 and there was great variation in those too. There was a period where late HS30 unibodies were very similar to early RS30 unibodies, but thinking that a "late 240Z used a 260Z chassis" or "early 260Z used a 240Z chassis" is very much the wrong way to look at this. 

Watch out for misleading information - especially when it is from the USA. USA-biased data and conjecture is not necessarily directly transferable to cars made for other markets. This is especially true when it comes to '260Z' models.

Good luck! 

Thank you for the clarification.

I stripped the paint from around the VIN on the firewall and found no evidence that it has been altered in anyway.

Outside of the VIN is there anything on the chassis that would undeniably identify it as either a 240z or 260z?

Thanks in advance

Thank you for the clarification.

I stripped the paint from around the VIN on the firewall and found no evidence that it has been altered in anyway.

Outside of the VIN is there anything on the chassis that would undeniably identify it as either a 240z or 260z?

Thanks in advance

The rear tail light panel is a bit of a giveaway.

Single(240) or twin(260) gas struts on the hatch. I would think there would also be differences with some mounting procedures under the dash. Covered in previous threads are the date stamp codes on various components within your car.

Okay, assuming that only 260z and 280z had separate reversing lights and a cutout in the rear panel to accommodate, then it would appear to be a 240z

Single gas strut for the hatch as well.

The rear tail light panel is a bit of a giveaway.

True, but that wouldn't necessarily make it an 'RS30'/'Datsun 260Z'. Could - theoretically at least - be a late '73-on Japanese market S30 body. I've seen such a car with an identity swap (firewall engraving changed with an 'R' prefix to suit...) here in the UK. Naughty.

But the car in question here seems legit to me. Being a (very) late HS30 it will have some details on the 'shell, and parts bolted to it, that are in my opinion probably some of the least well documented and understood in the S30-series Z Export range. There's plenty known and understood about early production cars, but the late HS30s? Not so much. 'Hiding in plain sight' comes to mind.

• Administrators

I agree with Alan from the photos I've seen, I don't see any funny business with this car. Just looks like a 73 240z HS30 to me.

True, but that wouldn't necessarily make it an 'RS30'/'Datsun 260Z'. Could - theoretically at least - be a late '73-on Japanese market S30 body.

But the car in question here seems legit to me. Being a (very) late HS30 it will have some details on the 'shell, and parts bolted to it, that are in my opinion probably some of the least well documented and understood.

I’ve got a 71 and a 72 and it’s remarkable how different they are, completely different wiring looms, gearbox mounts, indicators etc.

• Administrators

Please lord no... your car but not needed. Your S30Z is blue, look at this Fairlady 240Z-L for inspiration.

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-nissan-fairlady-240z-l-is-a-rare-japanese-survivor

The Rocket Bunny kit will eventually be a "dated" thing people did to these cars.. kind of like the Eleanor kit of the Mustang Fastback from Gone in 60 seconds (which I still kind of like) but I'd prefer a genuine GT500 without all the fiberglass.

• Administrators

she's not number matching and will predominantly be a track car, plus IMO of the kits available the rocket bunny one is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Your car, your decision, but if I can steer you in another direction. How about a Fairlady 240Z-R? Photos below. These are the cars that the Rocket Bunny kit draws inspiration from in my opinion.

http://www.yatsuzaka.com/gallery/PC/N-Z.HTML

HS30-H

NRZ_7323.JPG

NRZ_HS09.JPG

NRZ_HS30.JPG

NRZ_7303.JPG

Works HS30-S

NRZ_7031.JPG

"Shirley the deciding factor on body kit/body panel legality (apart from good taste...) will be the rules and regulations of the races the car is going to be entered in?"

I've got to ask it.

"Who's Shirley"

Sorry . Couldn't resist it.