transporting a Norton Atlas engine in a 240?

Huw

Evening all,

Just wondering if anyone has experience transporting larger parts in their 240Z?

Somewhat reluctant to do so (safety (an engine could be quite an effective tranquilizer)) / potential to damage zed) - but need to transport a 750CC Norton Atlas engine back to Melbourne on the weekend - may take the cop out and hire a ute but thought it was worth asking as the zed needs a run.

I was thinking:

(1) in a container in the boot - especially if I can lay it on its side (it will be wrapped for transport)

(2) in the passenger seat footwell (or strapped to the passenger seat in a suitable container to prevent damage to the car (and stop it moving).

Thoughts?

Sometimes I've opened up the spare tire well and placed larger objects in there, more due to height than any other reason.

I can't believe the responses to this thread so far.

Are people really this pussified anymore? I'm not saying to throw all concern for safety to the wind, but really? One might not use a Z to transport a larger item, because of what could happen?

You live once, enjoy it while you're here, take the Z and transport that cool Norton engine back in it.

Yes, pussified...

If you live your life in fear of what might happen you will never truly live.

The engine weighs, what? 75 lbs, 80 lbs, 100 lbs, 110 lbs? While yes it COULD become a problem IF a collision were to occur, so could something that weighs FAR less, given the right circumstances. The heavy object could also be safer in the event of a collision, because it just may stay put, where a lighter object might not. Before you claim that it's bullocks, I've seen this very scenario.

People worry far too much about what could, might, maybe happen, instead of paying attention to what IS happening anymore.

If you're really that worried, get someone else to transport the engine, because you'll be far too worried about what might, possibly, could, maybe happen somewhere between where you leave and where you arrive, regardless of the vehicle being used.

Better yet, sell the 240Z, because if you do get in a collision, you're not likely to survive anyway, loaded with cargo or otherwise...

I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, but if you're worried enough to post about it on a forum, it's not something you should do, and to me this is something pretty trivial.

With life, I see it as when your number is up, its up. No one has control over that.

Exactly.

Do the Aus S30s not come with the hatch tie down straps?

taking the passenger seat out seems a bit excessive to me, especially with the rather large hatch the S30 has. Large for the overall size of vehicle, I realize there are other vehicles with larger hatches. lol

Yes, pussified...

If you live your life in fear of what might happen you will never truly live.

The engine weighs, what? 75 lbs, 80 lbs, 100 lbs, 110 lbs? While yes it COULD become a problem IF a collision were to occur, so could something that weighs FAR less, given the right circumstances. The heavy object could also be safer in the event of a collision, because it just may stay put, where a lighter object might not. Before you claim that it's bullocks, I've seen this very scenario.

People worry far too much about what could, might, maybe happen, instead of paying attention to what IS happening anymore.

If you're really that worried, get someone else to transport the engine, because you'll be far too worried about what might, possibly, could, maybe happen somewhere between where you leave and where you arrive, regardless of the vehicle being used.

Better yet, sell the 240Z, because if you do get in a collision, you're not likely to survive anyway, loaded with cargo or otherwise...

I'm not saying throw caution to the wind, but if you're worried enough to post about it on a forum, it's not something you should do, and to me this is something pretty trivial.

Oh yeah I must be a pussy for not wanting to carry an engine in the back of a zed  ::)

• Administrators

I carried a S30 gearbox in the back of my 240z once, it wasn't tied down and when I accelerated it rolled back and almost punched out the rear window. So I would recommend restraining it in some manner. ;)

Here's some of the things i've carried in my Zed (the 2 seater)

A 68cm tv

A washing machine

A wheelbarrow

A ladder

2 Gaurds

An L20 Engine Block

2 Medium Size Dogs

An Engine Crane

That's impressive Scoota, sounds like a game of Tetris.

Everything bar the kitchen sink.

;D

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Well. P11 registered and runs.

Thought i had learnt from my 18 y.o. mistake of taking zed for run without filling petrol tank enough. Obviously had not. . .32 y.o. self got ten minutes in to run spluttered to a stop and had to push it home. Much easier than zed but not in leathers!

Really should have stopped at petrol station rather than opening it up on a nice straight!

Not sure about the kick start regime yet! First non electric bike.

tucked away till I am back in Oz next.

Now to turn back to zed! Interior needs some attention.

Edited by Huw