S30Z Literature Link, Speedhunters, Petrolicious, Jalopnik Etc..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

What I don't get about the Jimny and is mentioned in the article above is that the Japanese market cars have 600cc engines! It's slow enough for with a 1.3L motor. I know as a K-car they have to fit certain dimensions and engine size for that class. But I can't imagine my Jimny being any slower than it already is. I drove an automatic version once and it was terrible.

I was looking at the Fujitsubo website and hoping they did a high flow cat for the FD3S but could only find catback systems.

Looking at their legalis R system it appears to be split in 2 all the way back from the collectors on the headers and never merged into 1 unit.

Given that they claim to look at "performance" first I found this kind of weird, my own experience with a split system was that switching it over to a merged style collector improved things all around in the rpm range. Hence I'm not sure if there is any performance benefit to running 2 pipes all the way to the exit?

It seems to me you'd have twice the weight (with 2 pipes) and half the performance?

80a77c8a7a7253144ac0c0ee97b5461d.jpg

I don't know much about, but I think it's turbo if that makes a difference and newer tech.

Is the twin pipe a throw back to the original exhausts they made for the S30s though? I agree on the added weight, but I imagine their 3 to 1 collector would be made better than other brands. 

@gav240zI did a lot of research on exhaust systems for my swap. Pretty well all BMW factory systems are dual systems, for the E36 M3 they have dual 2" and I went for dual 2 1/4" as the cross sectional area is significantly more than a single 3".  

Sure you have some extra weight but the efficiency and HP is worth it....I think

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 9:27 PM, Riceburner said:

Interesting little read here from classic Motorsports magazine

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/datsun-rising-peter-brock-bre-datsun-240z/

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the narrative about BRE "discovering" the L24 crank harmonic problem - and helping the factory to fix it - doesn't really add up.

Nissan was very well aware of the harmonic problem with the L24 crankshafts even before the end of 1969 (because they had been testing them....!), several months before Bob Sharp received his first 240Z - let alone BRE, who got their first car well after Sharp did.

The lead-time involved in investigation of the problem, re-designing the crankshaft, machining and testing the new forgings and then putting them into full production, apparently took something like 12 weeks or so. BRE were relaying their findings back to "the factory" (wasn't that Katayama's job?) in good faith and "hearing nothing" when Nissan were in fact already hard at work rectifying the problem and putting the new parts into production. New Year 1969/70 got in the way, with Nissan's forging plant shut down for a week's holiday.

Even after all these years stuff is still going to print and getting set in stone when it is either not the full story, or just plain wrong. No disrespect to the people involved, but it's only one side of the story. The Japanese side of the story is very often left untold.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, brent012 said:

Not to my taste, but TopGear Magazine have covered a 280Z modified by a Bulgarian tuner.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/classic/datsun-280z-has-been-completely-restored-glory

I wish them a lot of luck, they're gonna need it. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2019 at 7:19 AM, gav240z said:

What a collection, I had a 7 year contract to work FIFO in Lesotho and every month drove close to this town (well through Kroonstad ~ 50kms away).

Only ever saw the little datsun/nissan utes (bakkies) which were very popular, including once with 2 guys getting out with their 9mm pistols drawn to try and stop a truck getting hijacked !

Looks like the guy had the place purpose built ~10 years ago for his collection.

• 2 weeks later...