Sirpent "Z"

Thanks David

Seems the Gods are with me on this one, couldn't have asked for a better result as far as alignments and margins, so do you think there is method in my madness?

I have tracked down the CAD for the face of the T56, so once I get it I will take the plate from the Benz which is micron perfect in size to the Benz box, convert that to CAD and then overlay the 2 at their vertical axis' and input shaft centre's to get the plate design, simple process then will be to get it water jet cut and mate the new adaptor ring to the Benz housing.

Hey John,  good to see it's all falling into place nicely.

You mention the super charger air intake is coming in from the back of the engine, can you run your it straight into the vented cowl where the windscreen wiper motor sits? It should give you a little more room to mount the motor further back and you'd be getting nice cool air.

Thanks Gareth,

The plan now is, (since I got the motor and worked out all the plumbing first hand) is to do the following

#1 Run piping from each duct on the front spoiler to an air filter assy tucked inside the nose, this will then feed off to a pipe that will utilises one of the large rad support access points on the left hand side which was used to dust ait through it to the left hand skirt intake cavity running to the passenger side dash vent.

#2 As I will be running the battery in the back of the car and have removed the battery tray, I will access the skirt vent where the battery used to be.

#3 from here I will run a feed pipe along the firewall to the rear intake on the motor.

This should give me positive charged and a cooler air flow directly from the spoiler.

The right hand skirt cavity will then carry air to the wiper plenum and also the wiring loom, My plan is to keep the engine bay as wireless as possible, and also to seal up the wiper plennum, using the drivers side duct will supply are to the sealed plenum and accomodate the heater fan intake while sealing it off from water leaves etc etc etc and stop it from acting as a rust pit swimming pool.

Hope this all makes sense.

Cheers

John 

sometimes longer is nice :o and if its thick it will have lots of volume so it wont hurt responce ,,,as it has a water to air intercooler under the blower it will have a water radiator in the front of the car as well but they are small and wont take up to much space ,i like johns plan it will be neat

Thanks Simon, Pete, Mike

Sorry I haven't been around to respond sooner (Your luck) I started work today.

The original set up has dual long runners, one either side of the engine rocker covers, these runners feed dual air filter plenums, which then dump the intake into a single manifold located at the rear of the motor.

These initial runners terminate at the front just above the radiator and rely on air scavenged from just beneath the bonnet.

As the air runs via the filters into a single 80mm diameter manifold, the dual intakes are acting as scavenging collectors, what I am proposing is to run dual intakes at the spoiler which at speed will collect and increase the intake charge pressure feeding a single large capacity filter and plenum, from there the run to the motor shouldn't be any less in volume than what the OEM system supplies the final intake manifold but charge pressure under even moderate speed should be higher, past 100 klicks this should become more substantial and expodential.

That the theory, Pete may contradict me and I'm happy if he does, the problem with what Gareth suggested would be the filter arrangement, otherwise this would be a very viable option also.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023648075_thumb.gif

Does the length of the intake piping affect response? I would think so.

In this case, shorter is better. (I've never been told that, just what I've heard  ::))

Simon, I've been told that length doesn't matter  :o

No seriously, It's my understanding that as the engine is supercharged and he isn't altering the pipe lengths AFTER the supercharger, it shouldn't alter the engine performance.  So long as he can get enough air to the supercharger, that is.  If he can have some positive air pressure on the low pressure side of the supercharger, then it should increase air pressure on the high side, so hopefully better burn/performance.

Like everything else John your planning and forethought are second to none. You're right filter access to the wiper plenum would be a little tricky and would need some sort of mod.

I like the idea of using the vent intakes, will the oval hole near the ignition coil flow enough?

Less wiring in the engine bay is always a good looking thing and all the intake pipes hidden will be a nice touch too.

Gareth,

I don't deserve your praise, I'm sure many are reading it and saying "Yep John's a bit of a Gunna" "Gunna do this and Gounna do that" but life over the past year has been tough and progress on the car suffered as a result, the benefit was time to think, conceptualise and design, and anyone thinking of building a total hybrid Zed should take note, the devil is in the detail and planning stage.

I hope to gain some respectability back as the months progress and turn these idea's into physical reality.

Your observation about the transition from round to elongated runner is a good one, however looking at the surface area of each would suggest that they are almost line ball, nevertheless, I could always use both skirt tunnels as feeders and then plump from them to the throttle body from each side, options are open and I will see how this all jells once I have the motor and brake boaster mounted.

Cheers

John

One small step for man, one major hurdle to this build.

I just completed the CAD work for the adaptor that will be needed between the 722.6 trans bellhousing and the T56.

Took some doing but the initial CAD file is ready, I will have a test alloy plate cut to check final dimensions but at this stage all looks good.

There are other features to this adaptor that I have hidden as they are my IP and don't want them made available for the general public surfing the site, these are crucial points used in the alignment between the adaptor and the housing to ensure that the input shaft centre's are in absolute alignment.

The rear of the Benz bell will sit in the cut out of the adapter, both will be bolted to a universal plate that has the bolting points of both on it therefore aligning them, once bolted in place, the outer adaptor ring and bell will be alloy welded together, afterwards I will have the rear of the new adaptor plate machined as I have allowed 5mm additional material, this will ensure that both front and rear surfaces are uniform and square.

Cheers

John

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023648782_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ben

But I'm somewhat still a hack, most adaptors are a plate that bolts to the bell and then also to the box, but this would mean that you have to allow for differences in bell size and therefore use spacers or machine down the bell to make it fit, the ring approach will allow the bell to sit within it so giving more torsional rigidity under load due to the fact that I will have the ring alloy welded around the parameter which will build up the mount face to exceed the original T56 bell face in material.

Being able to bolt both first to a plate which will act as a jig will also help keep things secured and squared while the welding takes place and then later once released I can finish off the welds so they look seamless to the eye.

Net result will be the new bell with mount will look uniform and replicate the bell depth dimensions of the original T56.

It's all good on paper, just have to do it now, plate cost cutting and welding shouldn't be more than around $400-$500 and I see that the T56 bell I have sell for about $250+ SH so I can recoup some costs there.

Working out very nicely John, stroke of luck re the sizing of the joining faces.

Assume the slots on the side are for the throwout bearing lines?

Spot on David, but the upper 2 bolt points almost ruined the party, extremely close to hitting straight into the Benz housing.

This is a slightly modded update of the ring showing the throw out bearing recess that I will cut into the Benz housing and the input shaft position.

post-1356-144023648931_thumb.jpg

Not an update so to say, but picked up my new toy today.

This is a CLK320, with the same non supercharged version 3.2L V6 as the one Im installing.

So no more hair dressers Ford Probe LOL

post-1356-144023649789_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ben

I don't want to make excuses, BUT...............

Of the past 4 weeks I have been away from home each week on business only really coming home for the weekends starting off with a week in Brisbane, followed by a week in Darwin, then 3 days in Sydney and finally Adelaide for 3 days last week, got home Friday night and ended up putting up a Marquis for Marcus' 14th birthday last night, , that's the reason I havn't been on line apart from trying via my Blackberry and nothings been happening.

Of course this coming Saturday is the BBQ but hopefully slowly but surely in the coming weeks.

Fingers crossed !