Iridium Spark Plugs

Roady

Has anyone actually run iridium plugs on a track/Dyno and compared to standard plugs?

I’ve run both and can’t note any real difference except the iridium can foul more easily.  Open to opinions and others experiences.

Cheers

I ran them in a GTR when they were new and popular, but didn't see any benefit. I just remember they were very expensive at more than $30 a plug. I thought the benefit was more about long life and good on cars where it's hard to replace plugs e.g. having to take inlet manifolds off.

I just run normal plugs in my track car. I know some of my friends who also race now do the same.

• Moderators

Hi

Iridium plugs are all about longer life. Changing plugs in some modern cars can take a few hours.

As an example, the BRZ/86 requires you to loosen engine mounts in order to have the plugs clear the chassis rails.

Cheers

PB

18 hours ago, PB260Z said:

Hi

Iridium plugs are all about longer life. Changing plugs in some modern cars can take a few hours.

As an example, the BRZ/86 requires you to loosen engine mounts in order to have the plugs clear the chassis rails.

Cheers

PB

Wow, that’s crazy.

Gawd. You'd think they'd have an access panel in the floor or something wouldn't you.

Q. I see all these modern cars are now keyless. How does one get into the car if the car battery goes flat, or even if the key fob battery goes flat? At least my Falcon and my wife's Mitsubishi still have a keyhole on the driver's door. Curious.

But where's the emergency keyhole, is it hidden under the driver's door handle or somewhere? Not wanting to steal one, just curious.

Not sure that this has much to do with long life spark plugs. But the subject of car owner/driver hands-off technology has come up at home with a friend buying a brand new car which appears to us to be not just automated but almost robotic - keyless, fully auto, automatic lighting, automatic wipers, self parking, etc etc. We're not sure that the friend has to do any more than just get in and aim the thing down the road. Which in his case being non-mechanically minded is perfectly fine, and he'll be paying someone else to service it and fix it when it breaks down.

Being a dinosaur with dinosaur cars, I'm left well behind with new technology much of which I regard as being very much unnecessary and removing of the driver experience and stunting development of any real driving skills... and I like to service my own cars... but that's just me.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, gilltech said:

But where's the emergency keyhole, is it hidden under the driver's door handle or somewhere? Not wanting to steal one, just curious.

Not sure that this has much to do with long life spark plugs. But the subject of car owner/driver hands-off technology has come up at home with a friend buying a brand new car which appears to us to be not just automated but almost robotic - keyless, fully auto, automatic lighting, automatic wipers, self parking, etc etc. We're not sure that the friend has to do any more than just get in and aim the thing down the road. Which in his case being non-mechanically minded is perfectly fine, and he'll be paying someone else to service it and fix it when it breaks down.

Being a dinosaur with dinosaur cars, I'm left well behind with new technology much of which I regard as being very much unnecessary and removing of the driver experience and stunting development of any real driving skills... and I like to service my own cars... but that's just me.

Hi

re the emergency key hole. It usually in the drivers handle. Not hidden but just not noticeable.

This image is a LC200 

5DC88307-C42E-421D-9027-09EE5EC20170.jpeg

• Administrators

I'm dealing with a friends third Gen Prelude (89) which has some electrical gremlin preventing it from powering up it's ECU. Frustrated and it has a couple of superficial rust spots. Nothing like an S30z though!