Project Cars 2 Driving Simulator Bathurst

260DET

Hi HBB Jeff, I can relate to the no "running car to drive", must be why I enjoyed driving the Zed so much today. Glad it was only simulation as I would have totalled a whole heap of Zed's around the mountain today otherwise. I must say it is the best simulation I have driven to date. I hope you enjoy it when you get it.

Cheers Jeff

I agree Jeff, maybe I should move the simulator to the shed. Jake, I have set a new benchmark 2:29:537 I think from memory and there is still some time on the table and yes definitely Keen for some Zed racing. Cheers Jeff

Edited by jeff43

Good point. For what it is worth I haven't even looked at driver aids, I'm just running default time trial settings whatever they are.

Man a 2:29 is a good effort, but mine was done with all aids off including ABS. The only thing that I have turned on is the braking zone as its hard to learn all the different tracks while racing otherwise. I don't think it provides any advantage when doing time attack like this.

I think you will find that when you go in and turn everything off it will be a completely different kettle of fish.

I just built my sim racing rig today, and finally got to have a go. I haven't got any aids on and I am yet to get a complete lap. I am still getting used to the whole thing (I have never actually owned a PS or Xbox before). I have started changing the brake bias, as the rear were locking up like crazy and if I was even slightly off of dead straight when braking I would spin. I think I have a lot more practice to do  :o

Man a 2:29 is a good effort, but mine was done with all aids off including ABS. The only thing that I have turned on is the braking zone as its hard to learn all the different tracks while racing otherwise. I don't think it provides any advantage when doing time attack like this.

I think you will find that when you go in and turn everything off it will be a completely different kettle of fish.

Default time trial is all driver aids off, so that time of 1:29:579 is with everything off. I had to play with settings and then just practice, practice to beat your time Jake and then I chased the Ghost of the previous best lap to learn where I needed to be better. I had to chase car setup to find more mechanical grip to be able to match him through turn one and get the drive off there to match him up mountain straight, once I did that there was places that I was quicker that allowed me to beat his time by a fair bit. I also ran 3.7 diff ratio, happy to share setup if you would like however I think setup is often an individual thing. Jeff I run brake bias F:70, R:30 to help stop the spin on corner entry, skyline is particularly hard, you need to get the car as straight as possible on entry and be very gentle on the brakes. Brake feel is everything, you need ease of the brake pedal to get just the right amount of weight on the front of the car to turn in - to much and it will under steer, not enough and it will under steer. I also run brake pressure at 70. I'll be honest I get a bit obsessive when I'm in the seat and I have spent more hours than I care to admit getting the lap just right, it is a real dance on the edge of control all the way across the top. Enjoy lads.

Bathurst is a hell of a circuit and almost impossible to get just right but I fluked a great lap (for me) in the IMSA 300ZX and went over a second below my previous best lap. It is all about practice, practice, practice. Two 30 is a pretty realistic balls to the wall lap time for the S30 going on the real times the boys have done there.

I actually did a 10 lap race in the 240Z yesterday. I set the computer drivers (all in 240Z's) to the highest setting possible, again no driving aids and I got flogged. My best time was a low 2:31 and there best laps were all in the 2:27 and 2:28 with the winner just dipping into the 2:26's - crazy fast. I was impressed that I only crashed once and one of the other cars gave me a hand there. I can now lap consistently fast (2:32 ish) without crashing and pretty much hit all my apexes etc with the car behaving very predictably, feels very realistic to me.

Default time trial is all driver aids off, so that time of 1:29:579 is with everything off. I had to play with settings and then just practice, practice to beat your time Jake and then I chased the Ghost of the previous best lap to learn where I needed to be better. I had to chase car setup to find more mechanical grip to be able to match him through turn one and get the drive off there to match him up mountain straight, once I did that there was places that I was quicker that allowed me to beat his time by a fair bit. I also ran 3.7 diff ratio, happy to share setup if you would like however I think setup is often an individual thing. Jeff I run brake bias F:70, R:30 to help stop the spin on corner entry, skyline is particularly hard, you need to get the car as straight as possible on entry and be very gentle on the brakes. Brake feel is everything, you need ease of the brake pedal to get just the right amount of weight on the front of the car to turn in - to much and it will under steer, not enough and it will under steer. I also run brake pressure at 70. I'll be honest I get a bit obsessive when I'm in the seat and I have spent more hours than I care to admit getting the lap just right, it is a real dance on the edge of control all the way across the top. Enjoy lads.

Man that is really a mega lap with no aids, well done. I'm dubious as to the other two times (one faster and one slower than you) being without aids though as they aren't even setting the car up and as I'm sure you will agree out of the box it's borderline undriveable. I'm struggling to see where you would find 3 seconds on that kind of lap though because that is a huge amount more.

I'm interested in seeing your setup too and what differences we have. I have been playing with the diff lock up lately to help the drive out of the corners but it was effecting the turn in across the mountain a lot. I also have the car just touching the rev limiter at the end of conrod straight with the 3.9 and some tweaked gear ratios. I gave it a couple of hours the other day but couldn't string together a complete lap. 

Nice work on the seat too Jeff 2, i'm sitting on a couch with a stand and it's not ideal and end up getting a sore back after playing for too long so I should probably sort something out myself.

My seat set up was super quick using scraps I had lying around. Works great.

I had a weird issue the other day, where the wheel dropped out in the middle of a race, but after loading it on another game it worked on PC2 again.

I am still working on looking at it like a real car. I get in video game mode and drive too hard. I have never had a gaming system before (well not since the Atari 2600 A’s a kid) so my experience is from using mates ones a few times.

I am enjoying the process though.

My seat set up was super quick using scraps I had lying around. Works great.

I had a weird issue the other day, where the wheel dropped out in the middle of a race, but after loading it on another game it worked on PC2 again.

I am still working on looking at it like a real car. I get in video game mode and drive too hard. I have never had a gaming system before (well not since the Atari 2600 A’s a kid) so my experience is from using mates ones a few times.

I am enjoying the process though.

(well not since the Atari 2600 A’s a kid) 

The old Atari 2600 - showing your age there Jeff. I use to play Asteroids on a friends one for hours. Jake I'm back at work today so I will post some setup tonight. Cheers Jeff

Gotta get a setup. Being a DF how do I go about getting all the gear?

I just went through this same situation. I found unless you have a powerful PC capable of running the game, the cheapest easiest method I could find was getting a xBox one, or Playstation and a wheel set up. I went for the Thrustmaster TMX Pro which from my research is a reasonable wheel. Not the cheapest, but not the craziest. Not that cheap to get into if you don't have anything to start with. I am not a gamer so I had to start from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through this same situation. I found unless you have a powerful PC capable of running the game, the cheapest easiest method I could find was getting a xBox one, or Playstation and a wheel set up. I went for the Thrustmaster TMX Pro which from my research is a reasonable wheel. Not the cheapest, but not the craziest. Not that cheap to get into if you don't have anything to start with. I am not a gamer so I had to start from scratch.

Just did some pricing at HN. Logitech G920 wheel and pedals $498. X-box one $327.  Shifter $0. Game $69. Total $894. Their racing seat set up $600. Will give that a miss. It will have to be a HBBJ design. Was going to go PC but my $900 PC won't even look at running it.  Just have to put to the finance committee and start having a bit of fun.