The 280Zx/s130 Enthusiast Thead

road rider

There has been some discussion here on the forums about the much maligned 280ZX(in my opinion)

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread open to discussion and with links to articles about the car.
I know the older I got the more I came to appreciate the 280ZX, especially having some creature comforts such as a/c and power steering.
With a few tweaks these cars perform admirably and are more than just a boulevard cruiser.

Here's a link to an article that features a Fairlady 280ZX.
Just to let everyone know........I would trade a body part for this car : :)

http://www.9tro.com/features/tuned-cars/datsun-280zx-fairlady-z-the-predecessor-of-the-modern-z

Edited by road rider

I wrecked out a JDM Fairlady ZX a few years back, had zero rust, no damage. Was not a targa top.

It had been fitted with a R200 CLSD with CV shafts, a clse ratio five speed, a P90/F54 combo injected engine, with the larger size lg plenum.

All switchs, stickers, warning stickers were in Japanese.

It had un powered rack and pinin steering.

I suspect it originally would have had a L20A motor, hence badging as,

Fairlady ZX.

Does wrecking it out, and slicing it up with a 9" angle grinder, make me a bad person ?

dat2kman, if it was a 2 seater version then the answer is a resounding 'Yes'. But its become a common occurrence for the old 280ZX to be a donor parts car for its elder siblings.

I used one as a daily for 13 years, never once left me stranded. So I suppose it makes me one of the Dozen's. Hahaha

As far as performance goes, one of our posters here who has been a Z car enthusiast long enough to go back when 280ZX's were near new, once told me that in stock form around Lakeside circuit the standard S130 was faster than a standard S30. It certainly has a better chassis and less aero drag than the S30. What usually happens over time to the S130 is that their cheap arse owners park them outside to rust and don't replace anything unless it's got to do with it's ability to go from A to B. Unlike most Porsche owners who invariably look after their cars.

So after ten or 20 years of neglect the suspension gets tired and they get soggy to drive which then is blamed on the car model. Other than the T top thing, the other problem is that miserable Nissan did not sell the two seater version here as has been well discussed lately.

Edited by 260DET

dat2kman, if it was a 2 seater version then the answer is a resounding 'Yes'. But its become a common occurrence for the old 280ZX to be a donor parts car for its elder siblings.

I used one as a daily for 13 years, never once left me stranded. So I suppose it makes me one of the Dozen's. Hahaha

Nah, t was a Station Wagon,,,,,

That car sir, is as ugly as a hat full of arseholes.

Your hat only has one in it..........

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!

Does wrecking it out, and slicing it up with a 9" angle grinder, make me a bad person ?

So many other reasons make you a bad person Jason  :P

I don't mind what he's done with that. 

You could build something similar for the price of a clapped out 240Z. Horses for courses really.......

That car sir, is as ugly as a hat full of arseholes. If you are going to have an evangelical 280ZX thread, at least post a bad ass one.

10468004_10100486386137074_4768125071502

Isnt that bruce713 (instagram name) 280zx?? Either way looks bloody horn!!

That 280ZX in that pic is simply awesome, in my books anyway!

Nothing wrong with the other one in the link either :P  ::)

Can someone  more knowledgeable than myself possibly drag a pic from the link to this thread?? O0

Well as an observation at the 1993 Z car club Nationals (now the NDN) in Sydney. There were 3 280ZX's competing in the standard class at ORAN Park Raceway. They were beat by just 1 260Z. All the 280's were 2+2 models  and at least one with a targa roof and one a  fairlady with an L28 like the one Jason destroyed  . I know at least 2 drivers had no knowledge of the track and I am only guessing now ,but there were around 18-20 cars in the class. As a base car, they just seem more solid on the road. I am guessing Richard didn't pick a 2 seater 280ZX to put a Turbo V6 and now a monster V8 in because he liked the look of it.  

• 2 weeks later...

lets look at number apart from weight.

Here I'm looking at the 2 seater 280ZX

240Z - Wheelbase:2305 Width:1626 Height:1283 Drag:0467

280ZX - Wheelbase: 2320 Width: 1690 Height: 1295 Drag:0.385

so the 280ZX 2 seater has 15mm longer wheelbase, width/track is 64mm wider, slightly higher and is more aerodynamic.

The downside: about 200kg more weight and the semi trailing arm rear suspension

The upside: A more stable high speed cruiser. More comfortable and easier to drive.

when I was younger and slightly more foolish I had my 280ZX 2 seater on the freeway down to Wollongong with a mate when they use to have the speed indicators on the freeway. I went thru and it indicated 196km/h when the engine was stock. It was rock solid on the road and if the motor had more I would have pushed it harder. My mate was surprised. I was going to do the speed run when I had my engine worked, but by then the speed indicators had been removed and I can understand why.

• Administrators

With 2 seater s30 asking prices quite high, a good 280zx represents good value. I would be curious to know what many forum members choices are if 2 seater s30's were out of their budget, what car would you choose?

Honestly, 944 turbo or 944S2 (3.0ltr), I prefer the earlier style instrumentation but I have to say such a great drivers car and I really like the style too! If the budget allowed I'd get a turbo.