Love this photo.

gav240z

• Administrators

I thought it was worth sharing.

http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com.au/2012/02/vintage-picture-datsun-hauler.html

Datsun%2BHauler-750179.jpg

If anyone has similar photos of Datsun's being delivered brand new like this feel free to add them to this thread.

What engine is in that photo d3c0y ?  Looks like the intake is on the opposite side to normal ?

Those intake horns are massive!!!!

• Administrators

What engine is in that photo d3c0y ?  Looks like the intake is on the opposite side to normal ?

Those intake horns are massive!!!!

It's the S20 motor, only found in the PS30 and PS30-SB aka 432 and 432-R versions of the Fairlady Z. From the photo I'm guessing it is a genuine 432-R but I'm sure Alan (HS30-H) on here could confirm exactly what car it is and probably even what race it was!

I have to say I do love that photo also!

• Administrators

Here is 2 more photos that look vintage.

yaLEFbQRlQkulWmNr7Ie30YUlrrQnEQAOxG9P6zPua8K=w600-h408-no

LenW.jpg

Both taken from here:

http://zzxdatsun.com/

Here are some photos I got from Len Brennan ages ago. This was his first 240z, I don't know it's number I'm afraid, but look at the Fender Mirrors :) And it's not even a 1970 model. It must be a 71 or 72 based on the Z badge on the rear 1/4 panel. So it looks like our market had those mirrors for at least the first 2 years.

240+at+Bing+72.jpg

240+blue+interior.jpg

Here is Sandown many years ago.

240+Calder+start1.jpg

240+Calder+start+3.jpg

240+Calder+start+0.jpg

test3.jpg

Not a Z but still a cool period photo.

test5.jpg

• Administrators

Hmmm, 'Merica got the good 1600's!

Only just realised they have a P510 4 door on that car carrier. I thought they only got the 2 door?

We have a matching numbers 432 arriving in Australia shortly, it'll be the only one.

It'll certainly be the only one with "matching numbers" in the world, let alone Australia.

The - largely American - obsession with "matching numbers" (usually referring to and original body and original engine combination, but more specifically related to those American cars that had 'matching' (literally) chassis numbers and engine numbers) can't be accurately applied to the 432 or 432-R, as the factory didn't stamp the original engine number on the data plates.

Well, how bout this, the engine that was originally built and fitted to the car, is still in the car, and the car comes withh a rather large amount of documentation showing various work and servicing done, over its life, and in many instances the paperwork, adated and some quite old, sometimes makes note of chassis and engine number.

In Aus some of the Z enthusists get all wet in the pants about "matching numbers" cars, ie the original engine as fitted new.

Never seen a chassis mumber and an engine no the same!.

Car is not a fake, the new owner is pretty particular about crap like that, he has a stable of very unique Aus and USA cars, all originals.

Just like mine are.

These are amazing pics guys. Thanks to all who are posting. So great to see these period photos for the first time. Please keep them coming. That first one would look so good hung in my hallway... Now to convince the Mrs...

Well, how bout this, the engine that was originally built and fitted to the car, is still in the car, and the car comes withh a rather large amount of documentation showing various work and servicing done, over its life, and in many instances the paperwork, adated and some quite old, sometimes makes note of chassis and engine number.

In Aus some of the Z enthusists get all wet in the pants about "matching numbers" cars, ie the original engine as fitted new.

Never seen a chassis mumber and an engine no the same!.

Car is not a fake, the new owner is pretty particular about crap like that, he has a stable of very unique Aus and USA cars, all originals.

Just like mine are.

My point being that the use of the term "matching numbers" in relation to a Japanese market S30-series Z is essentially meaningless. The car may well have its original engine (and if the original paperwork with the car backs that up, then all well and good), but what numbers "match"? There's no engine number on the tag. That's the point.

I didn't imply that the car was any kind of "fake".

Did I see you mentioning this car in another thread? I seem to remember you mentioning a genuine 432-R being on its way to Australia, and now you mention a 432. So is it a 432 or a 432-R? Or both?

The "matching number" American cars I'm referring to are not Japanese cars...

Sorry for the large photo but it needs to be seen at original size to be appreciated.

George I think I just drooled a little on my desk at work...........

That's one thing ticked off my list of things I wanted to find out then - based on the green one at the bottom left the colour of my car was a factory colour !!

Awesome photos all round

Here's a challenge to see how much of a Z spotter you are; which country are the cars on the production line destine for?

You can work it out based on two things in the photo  ;)

• Administrators

Based on the gas tank flap (that lip part) and rear 1/4 indicator cut out, I think it's cars for the North American market. However it could also be for some European markets.

What is interesting is there is no rear vents in the hatch, but the sugar scoops look fiberglass - which leads me to believe it's around late 70 - 71 production year.

Edit - Karljsw beat me to post.