-
Posts
2,294 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Events
Articles
Media Demo
S30z Register
Store
Everything posted by NZeder
-
This flare is slightly different too
-
I agree a different zed. But I think the same flares. See this page http://speedhunters.com/archive/tags/S30Z/default.aspx you will see the red Z has the same looking flares from the front as the black one I posted. Yet look at the same Z from the rear - looks like the same flare as the black car you posted.
-
well not super zg flares. Here is front pic of the black car on Speedhunters You can see they are like the red one above also aka Type B as discussed in the "Le Manns 260z" thread found here http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,8835.0.html
-
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
I was at the track in the weekend so missed some of these posts as they came through. First thank you Alan for informing of more "type B" flare vendors and for the info on the Safari and LY and their purpose. I am interested in the FIA heads for the reason you state - changes to the design for endurance/improved cooling. The L-Gata engines really are impressive given the non cross-flow of the stock heads, these can still produce good strong HP. It is the "LY" as a package that is interesting - different crank, rods, pistons, head, intake and exhaust setups all different - and like so many other race or work engines it is the whole package that makes up the engine and it performance/endurance Reading back there was a question about how much a LY head would be and if anyone had seen one on a Japanese Auction site. Well I have never seen a LY head listed but I have seen a LY crank and it was in the order of $4000 for a second hand crank that needed some bearing work. So that should give you an idea on what the cost of a LY package will end up coming in at - I would say think BDA cost then some or in the order of a genuine Abarth 2000/Simca DOHC engine and you would be close (ie 38,000 EU for the Abarth) and that is if you can find someone who want to sell a LY. I am sure Alan will correct me but most LY that are in existence are either in cars Nissan ownership or private collectors who would not part with them for any amount of money. Many seem to forget these are Japanese cars and they were raced in Japan, it was just during the period (1970's) little was known about the domestic racing series in Japan (which ran under JAF rules which is the FIA approved motorsport association for Japan, which is unlike SCCA or IMSA) which is a shame as the cars would have raced under a FIA standard (ie Appendix J) of the day. It is always the other series that seem to get the interest when building replicas ie BRE (SCCA) etc. For the reading I have done one of the issues with the with the S30 is the class/group in which it must run. FYI see here for FIA Appendix J info Group 1: series-production touring cars (5,000) Group 2: touring cars (1,000) Group 3: grand touring cars (1000) Group 4: sports cars (500) Group 5: special touring cars Group 6: prototype-sports cars Now it would be nice if the S30 could run under group 1 but it can't as the rules state for 2+2 model as does group 2. The 260z/280z 2+2 was FIA approved for group 1 but the 2 seater version can't run under group 1 or 2 as they don't fit the 4 seats requirement. So that put the 240z in Group 3 and 4 and it therefore completes against much more exotic cars with more technology or larger engines. The zed does do a good job in this group but like the Le Mann 260z - it was really out classed by these exotics and as stated was lucky to even make the start line. The zed was successful in the US which ran under different rules and those mods are hard to get past a FIA body ie CAMS So this puts the zed into Group 3 in stock form (see mod permitted in Group 1 as the same applies to Group 3) and it is usually handicapped vs other models that were in group 3 also (one example is a 427 Camaro which was group 3 the 350 Camaro was group 1, another example is the 7000cc Vette of the same period and in long high HP tracks a stock zed will never bet that) -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
I guess it comes down to what a circuit race organiser will permit - if you can convince someone who runs a race series to let an OS Giken head run then all good but that will be a hard road I bet, it is hard enough to get items listed on the sport option catalogue included let alone a very limited production non factory part. At least with the LY - it was FIA approved for Group 4 and 5 Appendix J for the given period = you can build one up as an Appendix K HTP car - and that should not be turned away by anyone if the honour FIA Appendix K (for the given Appendix J period) I have been reading a bit on the HTP stuff and Appendix K (for the given Appendix J period) and basically what is on the FIA papers or factory specs/options catalogues is what goes all other mods are out even if you can proof a car ran with an OS Giken head or other mods if the FIA does not have a homologation paper for a car with that mod you can't run it. Now my understanding is that back in period the US racing was not FIA approved ie SCCA, IMSA etc so all S30 or S130 mods that were done in the US in period are out as far as the FIA are concerned/HTP unless the same mod was listed on the FIA homologation papers - see where this is going.... Again if you were going to get a new head that is FIA period correct and (more to the point) legal then one of the FIA approved heads is the only option (be it rally head like that in the pics HS30-H posted or the LY shown in the pics above). Now depending on which class/group the car is build for in theory engine mods are also limited to stock/options catalogue parts (however most, even FIA HTP papered cars, have bent these rules) All of this stuff is a little off topic but sort of related to the Le Manns car as it was an event run under FIA rules so the cars were all meant to comply with the Appendix J rules of the day. -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
LY = Nissan 1970's (and early 70's at that) SOHC, 2 valves per cylinder Cross Flow FIA approved TC24-B1 = OS Giken 1980's DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder cross flow - non FIA approved - I believe 12 made in the first batch, some more made later from different alloy = did not last. Currently 6 more getting reproduced with some improvements/modifications to the design of cam towers and like. If you are going to remake a head an LY 100% replica would be the way to go as you can use this in classic racing/HTP/FIA group 4 or 5 replica. -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
I found some pics of a real LY online - If you click the image you will redirect to the source - now if I could just my hands on one and see if kiwi-cylinder heads could remake a few.......(dreams are free - would have to get permission from Nissan I would guess as it is there IP after all) -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
You have a house to sell? If yes you might have a chance of getting hold of one - but first you must get the owner to part with it I believe both carbs and injection was used on the LY heads. Alan can confirm. -
look how young Clarkson looked in the video.....
-
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
These guys do replica body work http://www.aritaspeed.com/catalogue/aero.html -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
if you are going to get a head made - the LY would be the one to go for. FIA approved, listed on the sports option catalogue, hemi combustion chamber and cross flow. There is a place in Australia that makes Austin Healey 6 cylinder allow heads - price is $6,800. There is kiwi cylinder head here in Auckland, NZ that make a number of heads. So if a mould could be made I am sure one of these guys could manufacture them. Now the issues. 1. Finding a LY that is soft only = no good but still in good shape (would not want to use a good one) 2. Getting the owner of said LY to let it go. 3. Getting enough people on board to purchase one 4. Possible redesign to use valve train of common parts we can get today I for one would be down - if I could get a LY head I would drop the RB conversion I am part the way though in a heart beat. And I am sure all those that want to build a FIA Group 4 replica would be after one too. -
Researching a Le Mans 260Z - Info appreciated
NZeder replied to Brabham's topic in General Discussions
Alan I have seen your FIA head in the flesh on a visit to the UK once. And I have seen the pics you posted on the net, I can't recall were but I have checked the images on your gallery on CZCC and can't find it. I think it might have been an attached image - and it might have been on Hybridz even. I will check there later. Cheers Mike -
44mm Mikunis on works manifold with linkages
NZeder replied to 260Coupe's topic in Parts and Tools for Sale
What size chokes, Jets, Airs, tubes? Every engine will be different so might not be bolt on (well yes will be but for the perfect match for your engine/cam setup some fine tuning might be required) also any spares with that for the $$ ie chokes, Jets, Airs etc. Question with the Oz Sc rules what are they based on? Oz rules or taken from FIA Appendix K (then appendix J for the year/group of your car). Also see this thread - does anyone know the outcome? 260DET maybe? http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5611 A zed can get FIA HTP with triples what is CAMS issue - see this car that was for sale a while back it has triples and FIA HTP papers http://www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/33186/Datsun_240Z_FIAHTP_Race_car.html -
The E36 clutch setup is a PITA to bleed - there is no return spring setup if I recall so when bleeding the clutch pedal goes to the floor and stay there.....very very non-zed like in comparison.
-
Result perfect. Good job David
-
I am with Peter too see here for info on Jerry Wood’s Glasspar G2 http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/?p=7703 And a pic for you
-
Most of our RHD Zed have a inductive loop off the +ve side of the coil to drive the tach. This is a licensed copy of the smith's gauge used in Jags of the same/earlier vintage. Some of the US LHD (thinking mainly 280z here aka EFI cars, so might be same for some of the JDM S31/L20e powered cars - not sure) were more standard tach setups with a -ve coil connection. The issue with the +ve setup is if the tach as a fault it can stop the spark as depending on the fault you could lose the +ve to the coil. However I have not heard of that happening to a Zed tach You can get a conversion board that you install into the back of the tach to remove the +ve inductive loop setup and change to the more modern -ve coil pulse setup. Again the Jag Smith gauge conversion will work on the zed tach Check on Hybridz there are number of different ways to drive a tach from the RB ETC -- using a modified tach as stated above, or as other have done using a different tach in the zed housing/face etc.
-
Congrat's to Mum and Dad and welcome to the world Molly I thought that was easy - you have a chief service crew for that - if you happen to be in charge of the little one and a pit stop/service is required you just pull into the pits - sit back and watch it all happen - well that is how it happens in my house 98% of the time, I do my 2% of under-carriage services when the chief is busy
-
No - Peter Campbell has posted on here before and he is the owner of my old 240z 00016 - and Pete is modifying 00016 some what - nothing that could not be undone if need be but again your car just do with it as you wish and enjoy
-
Very cool cover. Back in the day a number of places were making there own covers, BRE, Sharp in the US. I have seen 3100 OHC version from Japan. But never one like that. A true rare piece of kit right there. Very very
-
dry weight is usually minus all fluids ie water, oil, fuel. So the water and oil should get you over the mark + 1l of fuel to move the car EDIT: on page 12 it states the following So given the zed was available in 2 seater and 2+2 I read that as you can use the heaviest sedan version = 2+2 so that is well in as they are 2630lb or 1192.94kg So then using the table that would be 1192.94 X 3.0 = 3578.82cc in boosted form or 5964.7cc in NA form Does that help
-
So look at the later 260z shell data and use that as your basis - I think they come in around 1100kg dry. see http://www.zshop.net.au/260tech.htm so check dry weight 2425lb = 2425/2.2 = 1102.27kg so that comes at your requirement dry and it states that is for Australian/European spec 260z. EDIT: hmm bugger just found the 100% true lb to kg I always use 2.2 but it actually is 2.20462262185 = 1099.961kg as stated
-
Now cut that out......by the by some good posts on that topic in the history section on classiczcars.com
-
Yes is good to the ANZAC spirit lives on and it is good that we can help each other out in the time of criss.
-
Yes not good for those down in Christchurch in the South Island. Both Martin (gaijin) and I are Auckland based (North Island). I hope all is well for those I know down in the CHCH, I have heard that some people I know are fine as are their families. It is bad - and I am getting the same news feed/reports as you guys just more. The main TV channel here had extended news from 6pm - 11pm. My thoughts and prayers and with the people/fellow kiwis, visitors, guests to NZ who may have been lost in this disaster.
