Peter T's 75 2+2

peter t

Some more interior in today plus fitted the retro mirrors. Had the first drive today from the back pergola up to the shed. Wouldn't hold in gear so thought I would try the 280 spring loaded shifter and presto it worked. Now have to cut and weld it to the shape of the old one as you bust your knuckles on the dash trying to get it in 1 3 5 gear. Cleaned all the carpet out of the parts car as they are near new and retired to the fridge and the PC to post this.  ;D

post-1098-144023585537_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023585544_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023585552_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023585558_thumb.jpg

Painted the underside of the bonnet today and will give it a bit of a polish tomorrow. Then I can fit it and paint the top side and guards again and hope the colour match is better. ::) Next thing is to finish the interior then dismantle the parts car and start sellling the bits I Don't want. :)

post-1098-144023586448_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023586459_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023586467_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023586843_thumb.jpg

Thanks Rev,

Fitted the bonnet and other bits today ready for another attempt at matching the colour. I think I am getting to bottom of the tin and getting too much metal flake. Will get another litre and see if will match without too much stirring. In tin this paint is black but goes on green. I am really over painting metalic and will never do it again. Plain colour from now on. 8)

post-1098-1440235872_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023587216_thumb.jpg

post-1098-14402358723_thumb.jpg

Well it's Saturday and time to do some more work on the Z . The wife has gone to town to meet her sisters so I can play with the Z and get on the beer. I keep throwing the empties in the bin so she doesn't know how many I have had.  ;D So I rubbed the front half down again and laid a coat of under coat on. I will leave this to harden up and rub down next weekend and lay a coat of colour on and hope we will get a better match with the colour. I have a new batch of paint so I won't stir it too much and keep the fingers,toes and anything else crossed it will closely match the back half. If not, it will get a rub down and a coat of plain colour over the hole lot. Was going to order a heap of parts from TTT like Whittie has but not sure on the legalities of the parts in Qld for road use. Does anyone know if the parts would be ok here.  ??? The trimmer didn't turn up again to finish the interior but as I am paying him cash he must not be skint so why come. Not game to fit the parts myself as he has the tools to do it right and I don't want to stuff up his good work. Sold the wife's old car today and got cash so I told her I would invest the money for her. 8) [Can now buy more bits for the Z] ;D Time to go to the bin again and might spend the afternoon pulling bits off the parts car and tidy up the shed but I like looking out the kitchen window and seeing the Z parked there.

post-1098-144023587804_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023587817_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023587838_thumb.jpg

post-1098-144023587878_thumb.jpg

I'm just going to throw it out there, but why don't you mix the can of paint thoroughly like you are supposed to, and repaint the whole car the same colour?

Honestly, what are you chances of matching the existing new paint that came from the top of an unmixed or semi-mixed can, by taking more paint from a new can that you haven't mixed either? Sounds like a horror story.

What happens when it comes out as a third colour. Save yourself some heartache and mix it up.

Pete, a light rub down, mask up and respray the whole car with 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear with properly mixed metallic and good airflow will give you a great finish.  A great paint job at this stage is only a day away!

Rev.

Good advise but i will give it one more try  ;) If that doesn't work  :'( Iwill do as the master says. I just hate all the rubbing down bit as time to work on the car is short. Should improve with summer on the way. Just do not want to upset the nieghbours working at night. ::)

Just a bit of info for all who have projects. You may already know this but I was getting nervous about the car being uninsured. Well I rang Shannons and they have covered it as a project for only $13 a month and will upgrade as it gets on the road. Having $15000.00 cover is going to let me sleep better considering what I have spent. David at Shannons would be one of the most helpfull people I have ever talked to on the phone. He logged onto this site and checked out my car and gave me the cover right away. Something to think about all you people who have projects under way. ;D

• Administrators

Just a bit of info for all who have projects. You may already know this but I was getting nervous about the car being uninsured. Well I rang Shannons and they have covered it as a project for only $13 a month and will upgrade as it gets on the road. Having $15000.00 cover is going to let me sleep better considering what I have spent. David at Shannons would be one of the most helpfull people I have ever talked to on the phone. He logged onto this site and checked out my car and gave me the cover right away. Something to think about all you people who have projects under way. ;D

That's awesome, I might look at laid up cover since my 240z is at home in the garage but won't be covered if there was a fire or similar.