The Z31 Project - Race Car

More hold ups which are par for the course, everyone gets them so no boring details here. Car was up on the hoist when I decided to have a good look at the special rear suspension on full droop which is about 50% of total travel. The static negative camber is 1-2 degrees negative so I was pleased to see at full droop she is about zero, see the pic showing the outside tyre wall vertically aligned with the iron wall channels in the background. See also the lateral link angles, more on the lower links later because something special is planned there. Car goes in for a new exhaust job in about a week by which time the electrics should be close to completion, then will come the start up and dyno tune, yay.

DSCN0640.JPG

DSCN0641.JPG

• 1 month later...

After so many false starts and associated delays it's all finally coming together, hard to believe sometimes. The entire power train is in at last, the pics show the special adaptor at the back of the transmission required to delete the standard rubber bush setup. Unfortunately this means that a truck spline type tail shaft is required which adds considerably to the rotating weight but there is nothing to be done about that except use a carbon fibre tube instead of steel.  But that can be problematical if not done properly and anyway I don't know of anyone who makes them. It's not rocket science, a business opportunity for someone.

But for a big boo boo by yours truly the electrics are finished which means that once boo boo is put back in his cage the interior can finally go together, it's already been trial fitted. Then it's off to get the entire exhaust made then down the road to the dyno and all round fixer upper bloke. After all this time ..............

DSCN0644.JPG

DSCN0646.JPG

Close enough, pic below shows the R aluminium lower lateral link, I was a bit concerned that they may flex under racing conditions so they are being strengthened by sliding a cf piece over each and using epoxy resin glue to internally bond them in place. It may be overkill but at least I'll know than any rear end problem will not be due to flex there.

DSCN0641.JPG

Getting close now, pics are pretty well self explanatory, the tacho has a 260kph gps speedo on the right side of the face, hope that the car is not too fast and breaks it :) Steering wheel has an extension to get it closer to the driver, the electric steering is working as are all the accessories and the fuel pump so hopefully no problems there when the car gets on the dyno.

DSCN0648.JPG

DSCN0650.JPG

DSCN0651.JPG

She's ready to go to be exhausted >:D Pretty pleased with the driving ergonomics, shifter is level with the steering wheel centre laterally and about the same height as the centre, with the steering wheel spacer the seat did not have to be located too far forward so the pedal distances are good. And, surprise surprise, I can get in and out fairly easily if not slick and cool like a pro :)

DSCN0652.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

The price you pay for a V8, extractor and exhaust complexity, cost, weight......... But the local bloke did a beautiful job which needs a video to capture properly. But stills, best I could do. Too expensive to get it all ceramic coated but some heat paint should do something.

DSCN0655.JPG

DSCN0653.JPG

DSCN0654.JPG

On 2/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, 260DET said:

She's ready to go to be exhausted >:D Pretty pleased with the driving ergonomics, shifter is level with the steering wheel centre laterally and about the same height as the centre, with the steering wheel spacer the seat did not have to be located too far forward so the pedal distances are good. And, surprise surprise, I can get in and out fairly easily if not slick and cool like a pro :)

DSCN0652.JPG

Dear god... Is that RHS supporting the door bar?!

13 hours ago, Léon said:

Dear god... Is that RHS supporting the door bar?!

Is that all you could find to criticise Lurch, I'll take that as a back hand compliment. Let's put it this way, would the door bar be better with the extra support or not? And, in the situation, if square section can be welded in much more effectively than round, which would you use?

Edited by 260DET

I assume this will be logbooked ? If so, RHS in a roll cage structure may present a few issues getting it signed off. First paragraph in the "materials specifications" part of Schedule J of the CAMS manual states "Only tubes with a circular profile are permitted", then moves onto the whole "only CDS / CDW" thing, of which RHS is neither.

The regs mention using non-compliant material via the "process of safety cage structure certification." but I would imagine going through that process (ie not being able to simply self-certify the cage and needing to get engineers and the like involved)  is going to be a much bigger headache and much more work than just replacing the RHS with round

It is looking good though, ready for Bathurst this year ?

Edited by 1600dave

Yeh Dave, my point is that it's not part of the cage and forms just another point in addition to what CAMS requires to tie in with the chassis but we will see, the local logbook bloke is pretty realistic. As far as I'm concerned it's ready to go to the dyno bloke now.

A better pic of the pipes looking from RF.

DSCN0656.JPG

• 1 month later...

Seeing that I've bought a logbooked 370Z race car this project is now on hold, frustration level with trying to get an essential part has reached breaking point, I hate giving up but too much hassle and unpleasantness will do that. The 370Z needs nothing doing to it so I should be guaranteed a car for CB19 and in the meantime can get some practice in at Morgan Park.