240Z Or 260Z 2 Seater

zedfan86

Two seater Z cars have gone up but when compared to many other classics they have not gone up by the same % over the same time as some others. And the Z cars started from a lower base. So what I am saying is that in my opinion the Datsun 240/60 Z still is undervalued. As an example the asking price for a Ferrari 308 gt4 has typically doubled in the last 12 months. 365 gt4 and 308 gtb's have also skyrocketed and 365 gtb's (Daytona, aka v12 Datsun 240z) were rediculous and are still climbing. Until interest rates go up the prices will keep going up (in my view).

It's like the housing market! You just need to get into it. Even if you pay a little bit to much today the market will catch up, quickly!!!

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

• Administrators

I agree low interest rates are forcing investors into other markets. Classic Cara being 1 of them. How long it can go on for I don't know?

The S30Z as Jeff said is still cheap relatively speaking when looking at its contemporary peers.

I am generally bullish on their values - although less so on real estate at this stage.

When the Chinese get into the classic car market all bets are off and the Chinese are the largest set of speculators I know.

The scary thing is not knowing when the ride will end and the cheap debt be readily available...

Even newer cars like FD Rx7's, Honda NSX and Skyline GTRs R32-R34 have been growing in value lately.

Money in the bank is as useful as tits on a bull at this stage. Japans negative interest rates is an interesting experiment to say the least.

I agree low interest rates are forcing investors into other markets. Classic Cara being 1 of them. How long it can go on for I don't know?

The S30Z as Jeff said is still cheap relatively speaking when looking at its contemporary peers.

I am generally bullish on their values - although less so on real estate at this stage.

When to Chinese get into the classic car market all bets are off and the Chinese are the largest set of speculators I know.

The scary thing is not knowing when the ride will end and the cheap debt be readily available...

Even newer cars like FD Rx7's, Honda NSX and Skyline GTRs R32-R34 have been growing in value lately.

Money in the bank is as useful as tits on a bull at this stage. Japans negative interest rates is an interesting experiment to say the least.

You answered the question yourself Gav! It will go on until interest rates start to rise. When they do go up several things are going to happen in a very overheated market. House demand will fall, heavily leveraged individuals and companies will be in big trouble. Our housing market will probably (I think definitely) correct. Umoungst the chaos the classic car market will also correct. But I think based on getting into a market early you will be ok.

The hard part is going to be picking the tipping point as the rates start to rise. I remember interest rates at 18% so a rise to 7 or 8 % does not scare me but for you young folk a rise to that would scare you out of your houses.

Jeff

Edited by CBR Jeff

So anyone got a proposed solution? Or just like having a rant...

Solution: Ban the wanted car ad!

Why don't all these people just go out and find a car like the rest of us did, instead of sitting back and using the forum as a brokerage? No one can be arsed doing any research.

This must be the 5th such ad in about 2 months and you can pretty much cut and paste the content from the previous ones. Let's not even include the "I'm going to put an RB in, can someone tell me how much it costs and how to do it?" threads that always go the same way as Gilltech has said above...

This guy Hoo literally just had the same thread TWICE: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/topic/15138-260z-costs/page-2

There are already TWO threads that list pretty much every zed for sale here in Australia and even overseas! 

At the end of the day it doesn't worry me that much, as i usually don't post in them, it just fills up my New Posts page! If it was my forum I would just delete these posts: Lurch would have done it! 

I realise this makes me look like a grumpy old man forum type, but encouraging and helping new members is one thing, doing the work for them is another. I don't see what value it adds to the forum for 99.5% of the membership.

Solution proposed and rant submitted!

Edited by d3c0y

Then I end up reading it and we get to here! Hahah I really don't care that much at all, I just find the premise of the post annoying. Dat2Kman and 260DET are too well behaved these days, someone has to create a bit of a ruckus.

Yep - you're an angry old man.

I'd never have found my car if it weren't for putting up a wanted ad in this forum. It was not advertised and I'm very happy.

I'm not sorry... Just ignore it if it doesn't interest you.

Yep - you're an angry old man.

I'd never have found my car if it weren't for putting up a wanted ad in this forum. It was not advertised and I'm very happy.

I'm not sorry... Just ignore it if it doesn't interest you.

I put a wanted ad on this forum on Tuesday around Lunch time and by 5 o'clock  i had 4 members willing to sell their cars. None of them where advertised.

I have been searching for & inspecting Zeds for about a year now with no luck. I hope to be driving home in my new car this weekend.  

I put a wanted ad on this forum on Tuesday around Lunch time and by 5 o'clock  i had 4 members willing to sell their cars. None of them where advertised.

I have been searching for & inspecting Zeds for about a year now with no luck. I hope to be driving home in my new car this weekend.  

Scotty

Firstly your add was an add with detail that inspired confidence that a/ you knew what you wanted and b/ you had the cash to follow through with your intent. Secondly you then responded and became involved in the discussion. Finally great work, good luck and welcome.

You add is very different to some of the wishy washy requests from what could only be described as "Jousting Stick" hunters...

Jeff

• Administrators

Yep, Scott your ad made it much easier to sort the chaff and the wheat. I was given details on a nice Fairlady Z for offer but it wasn't put specifically on the market as the seller didn't want to deal with all the riff raff.

So he asked if I act as a filter. I wonder if it's the car you have in mind?

Good luck all the same.

Quite frankly I wouldn't care if my ad were deleted, I'd keep on watching the same places I am now. Do I expect to find a vehicle through the ad? Probably not. I have done research, and I don't think I'm too far off the mark with my pricing and I do have a bit of room to move for the right vehicle. That said I have owned project 240zs in the past so I do have an idea of what they're worth which is why I wasn't willing to pay 10k for the one recently listed on gumtree on the Gold Coast. Good on the seller for achieving such a good price though.

Like I've said in the ad, ideally I'd find something in Tas and I am open to buying a solid project vehicle.

At the end of the day if you guys still don't like the ad or find it offensive then I suggest you ignore it and move on.

Edited by zedfan86

I think your lack of caring is the point. If you had put in more than 0 effort I would have ignored it and moved on as per the other properly written wanted ads of late.

I also think for something that's not a piece of crap and RWC you are 3 years too late at your price range. Being a previous owner makes it worse I think, because paying double or more for what you had previously is a tough pill to swallow.

And why bother posting if you don't expect to get a car through the ad? 

I don't have any problem with your ad and Jeff summed up my thoughts on it pretty much. You even came up with a creative title. (I don't know about the no flares sentiments though -_-)

Wanted Post score: 10/10
You put more than -1 effort into your post, didnt make everyone play 20 questions. I read it, closed and moved on without posting. 

Case in point:

Wtb Brake Upgrade

Started By Clarky93Jul 18 2016 07:41 PM
Wanting to buy a brake upgrade for a datsun 240z 

"i been looking at hilux caliper on the front and the r31 rear disc on the back. Has anyone done this conversion does it work well ?"

Post score: 1/10
Couldnt even be bothered reading pretty much anything about 240Z brake upgrades, wanted everyone to figure out what he wanted and tell him where to get it. Especially being that SUPER RARE hilux/R31 combiniation i can see how he struggled to find this considering that only people all over the world do this conversion...

Wtb Brake Upgrade

Started By Clarky93Jul 18 2016 07:41 PM

Just to re-itterate, my exception is with shit wanted ads, not all wanted ads.
Edited by d3c0y

I don't think I'm too far off the mark with my pricing and I do have a bit of room to move for the right vehicle. That said I have owned project 240zs in the past so I do have an idea of what they're worth which is why I wasn't willing to pay 10k for the one recently listed on gumtree on the Gold Coast. Good on the seller for achieving such a good price though.

Exactly what people here are saying, you're not willing to pay that price based on previous experience some years ago, yet it sold quickly because someone else was prepared to jump in. And so the cycle of looking for a car or project at yesterday's value continues endlessly while prices steadily creep ever upwards due to the rules of supply and demand.

It's 2016, not 2006.

Edited by gilltech

Exactly what people here are saying, you're not willing to pay that price based on previous experience some years ago, yet it sold quickly because someone else was prepared to jump in. And so the cycle of looking for a car or project at yesterday's value continues endlessly while prices steadily creep ever upwards due to the rules of supply and demand.

It's 2016, not 2006.

You're entitled to your opinion. Obviously being current zed owners some of you will want to see the highest prices possible for your investment. And yes I am aware of the year, thank you.

Obviously being current zed owners some of you will want to see the highest prices possible for your investment.

That's only true if one wishes to sell & quit out of Zed ownership entirely with the possibility of not being able to buy in again later. No I don't want Zed prices to keep climbing as it means I can't now afford a tidy second one as I had originally hoped as my earnings haven't kept up, plus prices for parts are getting pushed higher & higher too.

The reason I compare 2016 to 2006 is because I reckon Zed prices increased about 50% from 2006 to 2011 then almost doubled in the next five years, the 2009-2012 GFC slump in classic car prices didn't seem to make much impact on Zed values IMO.

But good luck with your search, & be prepared to move fast.

Edited by gilltech

• 2 weeks later...

Meh!  Not sure how to feel about this one - I sort of understand everyone's frustration, however, placing a wanted add on this site is how I purchased my 2.  I don't even remember what I wrote on my add, but I do know it was probably lacking detail (that is just me).  I am a 240 guy and only follow classifieds for them and am often surprised at prices they sell for.  Sometimes I am surprised at how expensive, but sometimes the opposite is true.

One thing I can say is that I was amazed at how many messages I got from members when I placed my wanted add.  To be fair and honest, a couple of the members that contacted me would still have their Z'ed for sale as the $$$ they wanted amused me.
  Just wish I could find my wanted add now ;)

Then I end up reading it and we get to here! Hahah I really don't care that much at all, I just find the premise of the post annoying. Dat2Kman and 260DET are too well behaved these days, someone has to create a bit of a ruckus.

I've given up.

Playing with big sailing boats now,,,,