Tutorial: Hilux Caliper/S13 Rotor front conversion for 260Z.

C.A.R.

Read this post and remembered seeing these on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Datsun-240z-260z-Hilux-calipers-upgrade-/200479108061?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ead7c6bdd

These are the type Lurch used in my conversion and which you can see reconditioned and powder coated in my build thread.

Eccellent price, I paid 3 times what the current bid is for mine.

So who on here is selling them since there is a link back to this thread in the Ebay advertisement?

John,

I wonder if you posting just before the auction ended just might have been why I mwas outbid with 23 seconds to go ??  Bugger.  Anyone else got some laying around??

Buddy,

Im sorry, but how was I to know a member on here was bidding for them?

Thats why I posted so that at least ou members could have a crack at them.

I know of someone that may be able to supply a set, will pm you Monday after I ring him.

Sorry Buddy

No probs John.  The site is for sharing info.  It's the way the cookee crumbles.

They were being sold by a member of the forum as well, so maybe helped him get a better price.  ;D

keep an eye on trademe here in NZ too (Ozzie can join and bid/purchase :) ) as these are often on there for around 80-120 NZD for a pair - they should be around 5-7KG boxed up so shipping should not be too bad.

Scoota,

is that because you are using the wider 'W' caliper from the ventilated disc setup with a narrower solid rotor?

You could alleviate that gap by either using ventilated discs or by using the earlier solid rotor caliper.  I'm not sure how long the pistons are, but be careful as your pads wear that the pistons don't 'tilt' and seize.

using the wide (vented) calipers on the stock solid disk = pistons will pop out/tilt with only 1/2 the pad used. Better to go to vented disk as I am sure your rotors will be requiring replacement - min thickness is 10.5mm (new = 12.5mm)

There are a few rotor options depending the front hubs you are using 240z or 260z.

I can confirm that with the calipers i have that ther is No Possible Way that the piston can tilt and seize ... i know this because i put the lowest pad (which is nearly down to the steel) in both sides of both calipers and the piston needed to travel another 10mm to pop out. I measured these calipers with Dalee's S12+8 calipers for solid rotors and they are identical.

I agree with NZder, I went the vented Peugoet vented rotors when Lurch did the mod, they were rediculously cheap, I think $140.00 each.

Picked them up in Richmond, I can look up the details if you want.

Cheers

John

OK,

Have all the details in a file at work, but what I can tell you is this

The ones I got were RDA Directionally Slotted Brake Rotors, and from memory the diameter was around 272-273 mm and 20mm thickness.

The stud pattern was spot on to the Z PCD of 114.3mm, but the centre hub seat had to be machined to the Z hub size.

Otherwise perfect fit.

Lurch will know the technical details better than I can recall, but I will post all the details of the applicable RDA part number, price, retailer and actual dimensions in the morning.

Cheers

John

Good morning,

Looked up all the details in my files, screwed up a couple of points but am attaching the following table to this post to explain the coralation between the Hilux / Surf calliper and the Z and Pug rotors, hope this explains what needs to be done.

Also, I purched my Pug and R31 rotors from

Richmond Brake and Clutch

408-410 Swan street

Richmond VIC 3121

PH: (03) 9429 3155

I think it was either Tony or Trent who helped me out.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023573626_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I also got told that there was a Magna / Verada vented disk that was a pretty nice fit.

Obviously still needs to be redrilled and centre machined out but would be a readily available part..

Can anyone confirm this.?? or did i dream it up.  ::)

Hi Guys,

I also got told that there was a Magna / Verada vented disk that was a pretty nice fit.

Obviously still needs to be redrilled and centre machined out but would be a readily available part..

Can anyone confirm this.?? or did i dream it up.  ::)

Can confirm that TP Magna rotors are the ones to use. I have slotted vented rotors at the moment. Very cheap and easy to get.

• 4 months later...

If you are talking about the S13W(B) then it bolts on but needs a wider rotor and has larger 45mm pistons - there is heaps of info on Hybridz.org about it.

14144136.JPG14144160.jpg

14144137.JPG14144116.jpg

These are designed for a 25mm rotor and your pistons will probably fall out with the standard rotor.

• 2 years later...

Finished hylux conversion.

300zx rotor machined rotor from 22mm to 21mm

center machined out to suit custom spacer that locates on the hub and disc.

original hard line, just bent by hand a fraction

new pedders shock boots with bump stops

new wheel bearings.

post-2015-144023698684_thumb.jpg

post-2015-14402369869_thumb.jpg

post-2015-144023698695_thumb.jpg

post-2015-1440236987_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Lurch,

Just an addition to your good work.  An option to the S13 rotor is a Peugeot 504/505 rotor (RDA part 272S), while it also needs to have the centre hole enlarged from 77mm to 81 and the stud holes redrilled to 114.3 PCD, its diameter is 273mm which is only 2mm larger than the std Z rotor and doesn't need machining the OD and fits perfectly on a 260Z hub with the Hilux/landcruiser caliper. Also the 'height' is 43mm compared to the Z of 43.5. 

Just an alternative! Keep up the good work.

I'm going to disagree with this strongly. Total Height is 43MM leaving hat height at 23MM. It requires a spacer to work.

Scoota,

It is a while ago and these brakes were fitted to a 240Z I purchased at the time, however with 240 hubs they had an 8mm (I think from memory) spacer between the hub and the disc hat.  When I fitted them to my 260Z I didn't need the spacer. This was with the Hilux caliper with the different size pistons.

Geoff

Scoota,

It is a while ago and these brakes were fitted to a 240Z I purchased at the time, however with 240 hubs they had an 8mm (I think from memory) spacer between the hub and the disc hat.  When I fitted them to my 260Z I didn't need the spacer. This was with the Hilux caliper with the different size pistons.

Geoff

Yep Geoff you are correct. I'll do a setup up and post some pictures.