Tutorial: Hilux Caliper/S13 Rotor front conversion for 260Z.

C.A.R.

This article is a step-by-step guide to mounting Hilux 4-spot vented calipers & S13 vented rotors onto the front of your 260Z.

Please rear through this entire article in full BEFORE you attempt the conversion.

It is recommend you also fit a larger Brake M/C before you start – a 280ZX 15/16” one would be suitable.

You should be able to complete this conversion in an afternoon PROVIDING you have the required parts & tools.

It is also recommended that you recondition the calipers prior to use, fit new pads & rotors.

This conversion should also fit under most 14” rims – but check first.

This conversion will also fit a 240Z IF you use 260Z hubs.

Items you’ll need:

1 pair of Hilux/4-Runner 4-spot vented calipers.

Modified S13 vented Disc Rotors – DBA Part No: DBA 919

Brake pads – part No. - TBA.

1mm stainless steel washers, 13mm hole: 28 of.

OR machined 7mm spacer to suit.

The original bolts from your old brakes.

Workshop manual.

Tools:

Angle grinder with 1mm cutting disc.

Bench vice.

Metric spanner set.

Metric socket set.

Tension wrench.

Pliers – multi grips & pointy nose.

Hammer.

Phillips head screwdriver.

Loctite.

HTB grease.

Brake fluid.

PPE:

Goggles or safety glasses

Earplugs or ear muffs.

Gloves.

Before you start:

You have to get the S13 rotors modified to fit the Zed hub.

The centre hole needs to be enlarged to 81mm & new hub mounting holes drilled in a different PCD to suit.

You also need to have 5mm taken off the OD of the rotor, otherwise it fouls the caliper.

I had all this carried out by Rob at Robco Engineering: http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,1861.0.html

See pics - stock rotor on the left.

post-89-144023507855_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023507904_thumb.jpg

Step 1:

Jack the Zed up & pace securely on axel stands.

Remove the road wheels.

Undo the the 2, 17mm headed bolts that secure the caliper to the strut.

Wiggle the caliper off the rotor & rest it on the Tie-Rod out of the way – keeping the brake line connected.

Step 2:

Remove the dust cap on the hub.

Remove the split pin & then undo the hub nut.

Withdraw the rotor/hub assembly off the stub axel.

Step 3:

Tighten the hub into the vice with the back of the rotor facing upwards.

Undo the 4, 14mm headed bolts that secure the hub to the rotor.

Tap the hub out of the rotor with a Nylon or Copper mallet – it’ll be fairly tight to get apart.

Once apart, slide the hub back onto the S13 rotor. (Feel free to paint it at this stage).

Refit the hub bolts back into position, but put a dob of Loctite on the thread.

Torque the bolts up to 50ft/lbs.

It is a good idea at this stage to repack the wheel bearings with new HTB grease.

post-89-144023507862_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023507889_thumb.jpg

Step 4:

Slide the new hub assembly back onto the stub axel, & refit the hub nut.

Torque the hub nut up to 45ft/lbs THEN UNDO it ¼ of a turn.

Refit the lock ring & split pin. Tap the dust cover back on.

Step 5:

With the original 17mm headed caliper bolts, slide through the caliper & put 7 of the 1mm stainless washers on the other side of each bolt (or the 7mm spacers).

Then bolt the Hilux caliper into place (make sure the bleed nipple it at the top).

I dob of Loctite on the threads is also recommended. Torque to 60ft/lbs.

Refer to pic for clarification.

Undo the brake line on the old calipers & screw into the back of the Hilux calipers.

Fit the new brake pads.

Bleed the calipers starting with the passenger side, then the driver’s side.

Refit the road wheels & lower the car – you’re now DONE!

NOTE: If you wish to fit the backing plates, you will have to trim them back with the angle grinder so they will fit past the Hilux calipers. (I don’t run the backing plates).

post-89-144023507869_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023507875_thumb.jpg

post-89-144023507882_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer:

I, in not way take responsibility for anyone’s actions in performing this conversion.

I suggest you check with the suitable authorities as to the legalities & safety of this conversion.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If this article doesn't make sense or you have any trouble with the conversion PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

And no Simon, I'm not going to paint any of it! :D

Price breakdown:

New S13 rotors: $400

Hilux calipers: $200 pair.

Rotor machining: $80

S/Steel washers: $2.00

TOTAL: $682.00  :o

Brake pads: $0-$300. I haven't included pads because of price variances.

I also haven't included the cost of reco'ing the calipers because of price variances.

post-89-144023507896_thumb.jpg

Lurch,

Just an addition to your good work.  An option to the S13 rotor is a Peugeot 504/505 rotor (RDA part 272S), while it also needs to have the centre hole enlarged from 77mm to 81 and the stud holes redrilled to 114.3 PCD, its diameter is 273mm which is only 2mm larger than the std Z rotor and doesn't need machining the OD and fits perfectly on a 260Z hub with the Hilux/landcruiser caliper. Also the 'height' is 43mm compared to the Z of 43.5. 

Just an alternative! Keep up the good work.

just an idea if disc your using is just few mill smaller in center like the 4mm mentioned you could go the way i did and machine hub down to match the discs your using so when you go to change discs next time just buy replacement discs and they slide on did that with my conversion But i went with falcon discs and had to make new mounts to allow for bigger disc

mick

• 2 months later...

Lurch,

Just an addition to your good work.  An option to the S13 rotor is a Peugeot 504/505 rotor (RDA part 272S), while it also needs to have the centre hole enlarged from 77mm to 81 and the stud holes redrilled to 114.3 PCD, its diameter is 273mm which is only 2mm larger than the std Z rotor and doesn't need machining the OD and fits perfectly on a 260Z hub with the Hilux/landcruiser caliper. Also the 'height' is 43mm compared to the Z of 43.5. 

Just an alternative! Keep up the good work.

I little old and late to this thread but I might just point out that the redrilling for mounting behind the zed hub (as in like the stock setup) need to be 103mm PDC not 114.3 like the wheel.

See the attached tech drawing of a 260z Rotor

post-104-144023514486_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

more info for the thread.

I am just completing this now.

The Peugeot 505 rotors are incredibly difficult to find now.

DBA no longer do them, From what i have heard RDA no longer do them, but have some leftover stock (almost none)

there is a group in melbs, that can import them from europe.

European Auto Imports

23 Clairce Rd, Box Hill, VIC

p: (03) 98996683

as for the backing plate on the assembly.

It doesnt fit easily.

I tried to retain it, but you need to trim it out for the larger caliper (obviously) but more importantly it rubs on the rear of the rotor.

Most notably on the upraised section that occupies the lower half of the plate.

it could be retained, but to do so, you would almost need to build a new one from scratch.

At the risk of being shot down - can the hilux caliper be run against the standard 260z rotors.

Obviously aware of the benefits of vented rotors vs. standard - really just interested in any geometry issues?

Thanks

No geometry issues... ???

You can't run the vented LN106 calipers with the stock Zed rotors.

If you want to run a bolt on 4-spot caliper, you need to find some early Hilux '12+8' calipers that are meant for a solid rotor.

The Peugeot 505 rotors are incredibly difficult to find now.

DBA no longer do them, From what i have heard RDA no longer do them, but have some leftover stock (almost none)

there is a group in melbs, that can import them from europe.

European Auto Imports

23 Claire Rd, Box Hill, VIC

p: (03) 98996683

Its actually 23 Clarice rd...  But yes, if its for a peugeot, European Auto will be able to get it - the guy who runs the place is a Peugeot nut.  Also very good for a lot of other Euro car parts, and priced pretty well.  Just watch out for the girls in the office, there is one there who is usually really grumpy and not very helpful, but everyone else is fine.

• 10 months later...

I think that was the case for mine.. but I didn't actually do the work myself so I can't remember exactly. Can anyone else comment?

Edit: Doesn't Lurch say it is bolt on here?

If you want to run a bolt on 4-spot caliper, you need to find some early Hilux '12+8' calipers that are meant for a solid rotor.

I read the previous posts, I know I will need to cut or remove the dust shield but, I'm still insure if the calipers require spacers/washers to get them centered on the factory non vented disk. Do you have this setup steve? If so could you take a quick look at some stage to see if it is spaced off the mounts on the strut. Pretty please...  ;D 

Yes and no. Yes straight bolt on for the non vented toy calipers. No as you should also change the master cylinder to give a good pedal feel again. It will work without a mc change but the pedal will be longer

• 1 month later...

Read this post and remembered seeing these on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Datsun-240z-260z-Hilux-calipers-upgrade-/200479108061?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ead7c6bdd

These are the type Lurch used in my conversion and which you can see reconditioned and powder coated in my build thread.

Eccellent price, I paid 3 times what the current bid is for mine.

So who on here is selling them since there is a link back to this thread in the Ebay advertisement?