2009 Nissan/Datsun Nationals held in QLD

stevo_gj

• Administrators

Are these the same wheels that Ben sells? The rotas? I reckon they look pretty good from all angles especially at that height.

IMG_1689.jpg

Sulio

Yeah those wheels are hot, I wouldn't have thought they look good on a 240z until I saw that photo though. I generally don't like alot of modern wheel designs but this one works well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

So for the people who attended. Is anyone willing to do a write up on the event that we can put on the homepage for those who didn't make it?

Would be great to have someone do a write up, preferably of all days, but if not perhaps we can split it up into a review of each day by different people?

Any volunteers? :)

Sorry Gav, but I only went to the show for a couple of hours.

Don't really know any of the details of the cars.

I don't care if anyone wants to use my photos though, and if you need larger versions, just PM me.

Cheers

Brad

hi gav, i'm doing a write up of steve's and mine experience but that said we didn't participate in motorsport and we only spectated for a couple of hours. I'll post it up over the weekend hopefully. If you think it's appropriate feel free to post it up :)

My Zed came home with the silverware for outright "Best Zed" on Saturday and third place in "Street" class on the Sunday sprint.

Wow I didn't hear that one. Nice work.

As for the write up, I haven't forgotten, it's all written and I'm just linking ALL of the photos to the story. I will hopefully post in the next couple of days :)

A sensational event and very well organised by the QLD Zed Club

My Zed came home with the silverware for outright "Best Zed" on Saturday and third place in "Street" class on the Sunday sprint.

cheers

Alan

Well done mate!

Sulio

Thanks Guys........the trophy presentations were made at the Sunday night dinner.

As I'm not really into "knob polishing" I was not expecting any sort of award however it was a nice surprise......and the track event saw my adjustable camber bush on the lower control arm come loose which was causing some major camber and toe in changes...and some major understeering through right hand corners ???......after three runs and threatening rain I decided to not bother trying to fix the problem and be content with a third place.......(I had a long drive home and the onset of the "red mist" can easily result in mechanical damage )

I also had a couple of very serious offers to sell the car .....which I naturally declined.

Next year the Nationals are back to Sydney so make sure you all get your sh1t together and join in on the fun at Wakefield Park

Sorry I did mean 2011

This event has evolved from the "Zed" Nationals of the 1990's (first hosted by the QLD Z club in 1991) to the first "all in" Nationals hosted by the NDSOC in 2001,  since then it has included all marques of Nissan/Datsuns with the focus on Zeds. Zed clubs in QLD and Sydney have now realised that it is not financially viable to have a Zed only event that includes a track day due to the huge cost. Economies of scale dictate that we now include other marques to boost the numbers (and variety).........and yes there are rumours that this event "may return" to a Zed only event in 2011 as is the wish of a few "hard liners" in the various Zed clubs. The handover to the Sydney Z club was not received too well by some as there was no clear mention of the format of the 2011 event as it was mentioned as a Zed only event until questions were asked.....it was then pointed out that all marques would be invited.

As such I believe the common sense will prevail and 2011 will also be run under the same format as the past events. (all cars welcome)

The NDSOC 2001 nationals event held in Sheparton was the first "all welcome event" and was a huge success with over 100 cars, this in contrast was boosted to over 200 cars for the 2007 Phillip Island event ....(a P.I track day alone cost $15000 to run) .....as such entry fees are kept as low as possible to make it as affordable for all.  I did not count all the cars at the Show n Shine in Warwick but I'm sure it exceeded 200 cars.

If 2011 reverts to a Zed only event, I believe the numbers will suffer (at most 50-60 Zeds from past history) which will make the entry fees out of reach of most......IMHO 

Alan

ah.. all the red tape and politics.. of such a simple idea.. enjoying our cars.. goodluck to those who are apart of any formal club.. with the structure and the meetings and all the bahooey.. lol.. i'll just meet and great other car enthusiasts in a more casual manner.

i think its a simple idea.. nissans and datsuns.. in one meet.. they are the same brand arnt they? but i guess you  have to bring the politics into it too..

either way.. i thought it was an awesome event.. i enjoyed the datsun's.. of all walks.. and the nissans of all walks.. id go back again if it was that format.

lets hope it comes back to queensland!

BTW, who is organizing the Sydney Nationals? SDC or the Sydney Zed club?

I've been hearing very strong rumors of a Zed only event... >:(

The Sydney Club's presentation at the last evening's dinner showed very strongly that it will be a "Z" only event. Categories on the slideshow went something like

240Z, 260Z, 280ZX, Z31, Z32, 350Z

Don't know were my 1600 fits in there ? When asked the question on the night, the presentor mumbled something about it not being finalised, we may have to invite others, and various other things that made non-zed owners feel very welcome indeed  >:( Plenty of other zed websites have had posts outlining the "zed-only" nature of the Sydney event.

If it does indeed pan out to be a zed only event, I guess someone else (SDC ?) will have to step up and organise an event suitable for all representatives of the Nissan / Datsun marques (including zeds  ;)).

Will be a shame if it does end up being a downgraded zed-only event as the last few have been great, some people have had complaints about some aspects of them but as mentioned you can't please everyone all the time  ::). The succes of the event overall surely outweighs a few minor quibbles about individual details ?

To me, its all about the variety of machinery (and people) - the social side is just as important as the competitive side. You want a track day ? - there's plenty to attend that you roll up to, compete, and go home. Want to spend a weekend away in the company of a few hundred other like-minded enthusiasts, the nationals is it  ;D.

• Administrators

I just want to say from an outsider perspective it seemed like the event was a great success and I personally like all Nissan / Datsun vehices. A Zed only event would be a failure because there simply isn't enough numbers to make it a great show, plus the variety of 1600's and Roadsters etc.. makes it great.

Now this is just a personal thing for me, so nobody get upset. However I am far more interested in the early Datsun's than I am in the later Z series. Eg: Z31 / Z32 300zx. To me the Nissan / Datsun nationals in 2005 (I missed 2007 and 2009 because I have been MIA) was great with the early Datsun's and Nissans, there was also the later R32's / R34s and 300zx's but there was absolutely nothing wrong with that event.

I have no idea on the award side of things because I haven't entered my car in any of these events. I imagine it would only be fair to have categories for each make / model where there were enough numbers.

Ah the politics of Car Clubs. You've got to love it. I guess the best thing about Auszcar is there are no politics. We are a semi organised group of like minded people with the main focus on early Zeds and late models a side line. The best thing about this forum is that you can get out of it what you put in. You organise what you want, put it out there hopefully generate some interest.

I have been to a few Victorian Nationals before and found them to be OK. Like everyone says you will never please everyone and unfortunately the focus or energies often go towards the minority of whingers when really the big picture should be the main focus.

• 4 months later...

Can anyone tell me when or if this event is on next year? I'd like to come down and see it as well as powercruise. The baby blue 260Z carby feed turbo is a legend from Townsville but I didn't know the grey Z with the RB25 was as well. Have to hit em up for a local peek.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Forums are great, they must be, I frequent them :) But it takes the organisation of a conventional club and its active members to run events like the Nationals, no getting away from that.

In my experience, and I have some, getting actively involved in projects like organising a Nationals can be a useful part of one's personal development. Some of the crap that can go on may be daunting but then so can life, nothing new or particularly unusual there.

The thing that pisses me off the most is people who latch on to events like the Nationals and try to exploit them for their own purposes, without contributing in the first place.

260det,

Very much agree.

Especially when the lack of contribution then becomes exploitation, and the lack of willingness to at least attempt to comply with written supp regs that everyone that attends is able to quite easily achieve.

I did enjoy my involvement in the 2009 event, and would not mind being involved again in the future, all politics aside.

When a great bunch of people set their minds to it, good things do happen, and did!

At leasrt track hire at Morgan Park Qld, and Wakefield NSW ( for 2011) is a bit less costly than PI.

I have had info that the "Second Organiser" of the Original Classic Jap Show in Qld has secured Lakeside raceway in 2010, September??

And now we have some other "classic" jap show being organised.

( Awards for the most chromed dipstick will be presented)

Just watch, before too long it will all implode, if it hasnt almost done so, and we will revert back to a proper Nationals type event.