What Is The Build Date Of My 240Z

russandra

Hi all,

The compliance plate in my 240Z was damaged some time in its past life. It was last registered in 2006 as a 1970 model but I beleive it is either a late 72 or early 73. The edge of the plate has been damaged where the compliance date is. My guess was is that when they went to register it years ago, they had to register it as a 70 model because post Jan 1972 all Australian vehicles were required to have a valid compliance plate. Queensland Transport has said that they have no issues with registering the vehicle again as it has a valid VIN number.

I do know its not a 70 model as it is not a series 1.

Can anyone help. Its number is HS30-101178

I just want clarification before I start to sink $25k into the rebuild.

I cant post a picture of the plate for 2weeks as I am away for work. FIFO takes me away from playing with my toys LOL ☺

Cheers Russ

Edited by russandra

• Administrators

General rule..

HS30 XXXXX (5 digits) = 1970/71/72

HS30 XXXXXX (6 digits) = 1973

To clarify further..

HS30 00500 and under is 1970.

HS30 00501 and up is 1971

HS30 016XX or around that is end of 1971 builds.

I believe a few 72 cars were in the HS30 016XX - 01999 range.. before Nissan jumped to..

HS30 10XXX range which was 1972...

Then for 73 they added another digit to push into the 100k range. eg: HS30 10XXXX.

This is just my observation.

Yeag Gav,

I figured as much, This is my 1st 240 but I have had a couple of 260's previous to this. When the guy I bought it off said it was a 70, I told him that it couldnt have been cause its not a series 1 cause of the vents in the A piller and the tool storage boxes behind seats.

If an average 72 model comes up I could be tempted to grab one of those to further my collection. I have an 85 factory 5sp z31 (full of the dreaded worm) that I bought for $1 that I am stripping for parts too. Cant have too many Datsuns I reckon. Its the old story of n+1.

Russ

• Administrators

I would like to have 1 of each year AU delivered car. 70, 71, 72 and 73 model. ;).

But also a PS30, PS30-SB and HS30-H but I'm not fussy haha.

A KPGC10, PGC10 or KPGC110 would also be nice. ;).

M10A R100 Coupe, oh... I better stop.

I would like to have 1 of each year AU delivered car. 70, 71, 72 and 73 model. ;).

But also a PS30, PS30-SB and HS30-H but I'm not fussy haha.

A KPGC10, PGC10 or KPGC110 would also be nice. ;).

M10A R100 Coupe, oh... I better stop.

Ahh the old days..... Gav...do you have or have you driven an R100?? I had a Mazda 1200 and a friend had an R100 in 1969..... 14 inch wheels on the R100 as opposed  to 12 inch on the 1200.( both very skinny )the R100 was a very compact powerhouse in the late '60's 

As for russandra,s question I bought a 240Z in March 1973 but sadly have no record of chassis numbers ...I wish I did....I know this has been asked before, but Nissan must have a register some where of chassis numbers..

• Administrators

Ahh the old days..... Gav...do you have or have you driven an R100??

Never owned or driven an old rotary, but always wanted 1. Funny enough the only rotary I've driven is my FD RX-7. I've also been in an RX-8 both of which I imagine are light years away from the earlier cars.

I know this has been asked before, but Nissan must have a register some where of chassis numbers..

Porsche have a register of all chassis numbers .

A number of years ago I owned a 1965 912 ( pic in avatar)  and called Porsche centre in Melbourne with the vin number .

They were able to tell me the build date , Colour , trim options , If the engine and gear box numbers matched , where it was delivered to and even down to the type of tyres the car was fitted with on delivery .

Cheers Doug

Porsche have a register of all chassis numbers .

A number of years ago I owned a 1965 912 ( pic in avatar)  and called Porsche centre in Melbourne with the vin number .

They were able to tell me the build date , Colour , trim options , If the engine and gear box numbers matched , where it was delivered to and even down to the type of tyres the car was fitted with on delivery .

Cheers Doug

Now I want a Porsche even more than I did before... that's impressive.

• Administrators

It's in Porsche's interest to be able to do that though! Shows the heritage but also care and commitment they have to their cars, customers and legacy.

I kind of wish Nissan would do the same, if there is records (even on paper) they could be converted to an SQL database and with a few simple joins of data you could do the same for S30Z's.

That is if the data exists somewhere in a Nissan warehouse...

But Nissan have to want to do that, and have to see the value in it.

Now I want a Porsche even more than I did before... that's impressive.

Yeah my friend had a 944, took it in for a service. Porsche in Alexandria quoted $10k of repair work needed to be done... The car was worth about that. Porsche parts and service are expensive.

Of course I'm sure if you took a 240z to a Nissan dealer you'd have just ask much fun..

Perhaps Nissan compiling (the presumed to exist) data is something that might follow the next zed generation, if it seen to be related to the s30 and following models. The value is probably in sales of current models more than anything else...

I know corporates are very good at wasting big money on small projects but surely it couldn't cost more than what could be returned in even a minute increase in sales.

I kind of wish Nissan would do the same, if there is records (even on paper) they could be converted to an SQL database and with a few simple joins of data you could do the same for S30Z's.

Why would they Gav, you are already doing the S30 chassis for them. ????

Seriously though, where is the benefit for Nissan? They are not producing oem parts for cars much older than 10 years anyway, so why catalogue info now?

I know bugger all about Porsche parts but I think many parts are still available. Also, I think there were many more options available to each chassis type hence needing a record of each vehicle sold.

Mick

• Administrators

Many manufacturers like to use their history and pedigree to promote new cars. To show a continuation of a heritage / line. Since the S30Z has become such an iconic car, it would be in Nissan's best interest to promote their rich history and preserve that lineage.

But I'm not in charge of marketing at Nissan... so...

I will have to check it when I get home next Wednesday, Why would the Engine numberr be a more accurate indication of the build date. It would make more sense for the chassis numbers to be more sequential, due to the fact that the engine blocks are cast in large numbers then stored till the chassis is ready. Perhaps there is a register of them somewhere in this big world. Need to start the old girl up again. Hopefully only about 6 months away on starting the rebuild.