Challenge Bathurst 2017

24 Dat

It will be on again in 2017 so please watch this space for up dates and posts of whats going on,

If 2016 was any indication of what a great event it is please PM me if you want to be apart of the Group Z in 2017, I am sure we will have another AweZome turn out and have a fantastic time.post-101839-0-79154000-1480919083_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just a bit of an update on this event, I'm still waiting on the date and pricing for this event.

I've had a fantastic response so far, I have 30 Z's, another 12 Nissan/Datsuns and 6 other cars getting ready to enter as apart of Group Z

Please PM me is you want bring your Z and join this group, I will certianly have a full group of 55 this year

• 2 weeks later...

If the Z31 project is finished and tested then I'll bring that, otherwise the 280ZX will have it's problems attended to and it will have another go. The problems include getting engine braking and a 4th gear lock up sorted for the auto which otherwise was pretty nice to use, sorting the aero to prevent high speed front end lift which was pretty scary and kept top speeds down because, squark, squark... Some how or other the car has to be lowered a bit, or at least the front has to be, without lowering the roll centres. Then the front under tray angle of attack will have to be looked at, I'm still not sure what that should be.

As the 280ZX's engine, ECU, auto etc is to go into the Z31 then there has to be a cut off point where work on the Z31 stops because there is no way in the world that I'm going to miss Bathurst this year. Best 2016 top sat nav speed was about 244kph backing off as above so more speed to come yay. That and the sensational variety of challenges Bathurst offers, so much time to gain or lose, brilliant  ;D

Edited by 260DET

It would be good to hear from other Zedders as to what their car plans are for Bathurst 2017, no need for the secret squirrel stuff at our level. Besides it helps to get to know each other and what they are driving. If you are not sure at the moment then decide to do it now, seriously, for any driver who likes to drive hard occasionally this is for you. Just break open the wallet and spend what's required, you deserve it.

Edited by 260DET

• 2 weeks later...

I will be there, not doing the regularity though. Will have extra pop rivets holding in my Perspex (maybe some vibration noise from that). Will have a new diff, but would also love to have a sequential - see how finances travel.

I went under 2.40 in the sighting laps so to hold back would be a injustice.

Thinking I should be able to get to about 2.25 - 2.26

Don't know why you are still bothering with that auto Richard - seems that you could have installed a sequential by now if your paying for all this tuner help.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 

The dates or CB this year are 16th to the 19th of November, Super Sprints on the Thursday and Friday and Regularity Saturday and Sunday.

Entries will open in July

i have a huge group already planning to compete with 35 Z's and Zx's 8)  8)  8) plus loads of other great Nissan/Datsuns 8)  8)  8)  so if your not competing save the dates and plan coming out to Bathurst as it was an amazing 4 days last year.

Edited by 24 Dat

So are any of these super L series finding their way into real race cars? Looking at the EOI's for Challenge Bathurst there is not one single S30 interested/able to step up from Regularity to Sprints, that's out of 30+ S30's. Better stop right now seeing that this is predominately a S30 forum :)

There's not a lot of incentive to enter sprints unless you have a car capable of bettering 2:36 at Bathurst (which is pretty quick...). Sprints just means an extra $1000 to enter and you get the privilege of constantly watching your mirrors for cars capable of running at the pointy end of the Bathurst 12 hour.

Besides, its not like a good L series has the same power potential as, say, a 6 litre chev V8 of some description.........

Edited by 1600dave

But the power these LCR engines are making is plenty to get in to Bathurst sprint times, if the rest of the car is up to it of course. And, yes, not everyone wants to do sprints. But the puzzle to me is the lack of (apparently) even one S30 Bathurst sprint prospect, there may be a couple in Victoria but I don't think that they have LCR engines and they don't seem to want to play anyway.

Look at the sprint entries, plenty of old euros and not a Datsun to be seen  :(

• Administrators

No it's just to keep the Les Collins thread on topic about the business. Rather than dilute it with discussions on other topics that's all. You can continue it here all you like. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Is it too soon to ask what the intenders are going to run? Details please, particularly anything special for Bathurst.

I've decided to run avatar Zed again and not the Z31 even if it's finished and tested at Morgan Park. Reason is that there is no circuit in Q where a Bathurst car can be realistically tested, particularly re high speed behaviour where 200kph is about tops whereas 270kph may be possible at Bathurst. Keeping aero period correct means no wing not that it needs one for straight line behaviour, no rake and a defective undertray were big problems that can be fixed. 

So aero, which you PI regulars would know all about so put your names down with David. Now!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

so put your names down with David. Now!!!!!!!!

Hi all i am sure you are getting over Nationals and  i am sure you had a great time, 

I still have a few spots for CB this year, the ZCCQ will most likely be purchasing an entire group which we can manage who goes in what garage, campsite etc and again we will have the free camping in the Officials/Volunteers area at the track which has powered and watered sites. 

All those who came along last had a great time. I have an awesome group of Z's and other Nissan/Datsuns already committed to coming along this year so if you want to join us please contact me asap.

Cheers

Dave

I logbooked mine for Challenge Bathurst last year, and just left it up to the CAMS approved scrutineer that I used as to what class it was. I was thinking Improved Production, but it ended up being logbooked as Group 3 PRC - Production Rally Car (despite never being used on dirt....).

The "too hard" or "dd class" vehicles, are usually issued with cams logbook category as RC-O

Aka, "Rally Car - Other"

Your local scrutineer/elegibility officer, and the cams office will know about this category.

Category 2A Sports Car, can be an issue of you are using the car on open and closed public roads, whereas RCO logbooked cars can be used on roads, with Transport Dept Temporary Permits ( something to consider !)

Edited by dat2kman