240Z Headlights Needed

Knight240Z

Hi Guys,

This is my first post as I am a new member. I have just imported my 1970 240Z from the US to Melbourne and I am looking to get it all registered now.

During the process for obtaining the VASS I was informed by the VASS inspector that I need to change my headlights as they are for LHD and I have to find RHD ones so that the light is projected to the other side of the road. Does anyone know where I can find a pair of headlights for a 240Z in Melbourne?

Also the car came with the original seatbelts from 1970 with the 3-part setup and it seems that I have to change that as well with a new one and I am absolutely gutted about this…. Is this really needed?

Can't wait to get it out on the roads so any help in finding these items would be very much appreciated!

Glad to see a great Z community hear in Australia!

Kind regards,

Hello,

You can use any off the shelf 7" round headlights. Standard these cars have sealed beams (non serviceable lights) and most people replace them with H4 semi sealed units.

At the same time it's probably also a good idea to run some relays to power the lights, the wiring on these cars can lead to pretty dim light in comparison to a new car!

Long story short: Get a good quality 35w H4 7" round headlight kit and put them in with a relay.

Well query the seatbelt issue, all depends on what the VIC rules are with respect to cut-off dates for various safety components, but sometimes rules can be interpreted different ways by different inspectors so it would be worth double-checking.

However, modern inertia seatbelts have got to be a big safety improvement on the old 3-piece belts. As an inspector pointed out to me one time, the old belts have a large amount of metal placed against one's hip & guts which wouldn't be a great idea in a crash. Also, I found with mine the sash buckle tended to come unclipped quite easily, which didn't inspire any confidence in them.

If you must upgrade the belts then pack the old ones away for keeps don't lose them or get rid of them.

I just had to replace the seatbelts in my 71 240z. One thing listed on the transport website (well the South Australian one) was that you must use the factory mounting points, which makes inertia reals impossible Check out the tranaport website for your state and see if it goes into any detail. Another reason you may need to change is that your current seatbelts dont comply with ADRs

Edited by twoforty z

I would have thought that you adjust the beam of the headlights by the adjusting screws on the headlight buckets - headlights should be set up to aim straight, not at the other side of the road. I have never heard of LHD bulbs, that sounds like nonsense to me, globes do not differentiate between LHD and RHD cars.

It is how the glass lenses are cut/moulded.

In the US/LHD markets, the "cut off" line for low beam runs horizontal, and kicks up to the right.

Here in a RHD market, ie we drive on left of road, the low beam kicks up to left.

US/Euro headlamps , here, will blind oncoming drivers, on low beam.

I would have thought that you adjust the beam of the headlights by the adjusting screws on the headlight buckets - headlights should be set up to aim straight, not at the other side of the road. I have never heard of LHD bulbs, that sounds like nonsense to me, globes do not differentiate between LHD and RHD cars.

Jason is 100% correct

Edited by CBR Jeff

• Administrators

Yep Jason is correct, I'm surprised you haven't had to replace the tail lamps? The US ones are red indicators where as JDM, EURO, AU, NZ etc.. have amber turn signals. You don't want to know what original koito lamps are worth!

Good thing there is reproductions available now.

I have a full set of factory inertia reel seat belts for a 260 2 seater

Can pack and post to you.

Thanks for letting me know, are they retractable? If not I would be really interested but if they are do you think they can fit on the factory mounting points on a 240z?

I thought it is maybe helpful to summarise my experience so far with LHD Zs imported for anyone thinking of doing this in the future:

The headlights are a must to change according to the VASS engineer (there was no room for movement there, even when I thought I came up with the idea of the century to turn the light 180 degrees to fix the Left, Right issue) he did not find that funny at all… On this topic I did call Toyota and they told me that the headlights (90981-01H22) are 110$ each! Do you think I can find a better deal on these or something close somewhere? The Z I have is fitted with a Halogen light kit but I have to change the beam only to a RHD one.

Now the good news on the tail lights is that it is (Optional) to change them at least in VIC. The only thing to know (what I was told) is that if you are involved in an accident and the guy hitting you from the back says I did not see that the indicator was ON then it's your responsibility.   

As for the seatbelt issue I am having, the thing is I would really like to keep the originals, they look great and they have the Z emblems on them. Now since this car is manufactured in 1970 I don’t have to have a retractable one so a normal hanging belt will do but it has to be in 2-parts not 3-parts as I have it. And as mentioned by (twoforty z) earlier it has to be mounted on the factory mounting points. So I am looking around if I can only replace the belt side and keep the buckles I have on the car.  I called Seatbeltking and sent some pictures will see what they say.

The only thing to know (what I was told) is that if you are involved in an accident and the guy hitting you from the back says I did not see that the indicator was ON then it's your responsibility.

May well be true but it sounds pretty silly to me.

In regards to the belts, you should be able to fit some Australian delivered equivalent year belts, as you mentioned '2 piece belts'.

I'm interested to see the 3 piece belts, would you mind posting a pic?

Good luck with rego :)

Mick

• Moderators

Hi Mate

The Toyota lights come as a pair, ie 2 in the box. So you only need to order quantity 1 of 90981-01H22.

The reason why it is a pair is that it was developed as a replacement / upgrade kit for sealed beam units fitted to earlier Landcruisers.

Most dealers do not know this and just assume it is a single piece like every other headlamp.

Trust me on this. ;)

Cheers

PB

Edited by PB260Z

Post up pics f belts, showing where the shoulder joins the lap portion.

Also pics of the buckle.. Measure width, depth and thickness of the tongue insert.

Its not the J type buckle is it???

And the lengths of the lap, and the shoulder portions.

I dont have any for 240Z, but have some sets of hanging belts, ADR35 Compliant, from other datsuns that may suit, i'll need tomeasure.

Hi Mate

The Toyota lights come as a pair, ie 2 in the box. So you only need to order quantity 1 of 90981-01H22.

The reason why it is a pair is that it was developed as a replacement / upgrade kit for sealed beam units fitted to earlier Landcruisers.

Most dealers do not know this and just assume it is a single piece like every other headlamp.

Trust me on this. ;)

Cheers

PB

That is funny the guy at Toyota was sure I needed two! thank you for the tip. if its 110 for both then its not too bad.

• Moderators

That is funny the guy at Toyota was sure I needed two! thank you for the tip. if its 110 for both then its not too bad.

He is definately wrong.

For $110 for quality jap made glass units is indeed not bad, IMHO a better choice than most of the evilbay offerings