Need help starting my car

jasonmac

Car has been sitting around for 6 months and I need to start it now. The engine cranks but doesn't want to cough into life.

I have a fresh tank of fuel and a new battery. I have taken the spark plugs out, they all looked good, no deposits or wear. Cranked the engine with them out, put them in again with same result.

Appreciate any suggestions for a newb.

Cheers

Jason

Check for spark, connect a spark plug to a lead, hold it to ground/engine  get someone to crank it.

Check for fuel supply into engine, are plugs wet/smelly?

As long as timing, /distibuoto has not been loosened/rotated, and you have spark and fuel, it should cough into life.

• Moderators

Go to basics....

Engine needs three things to run, fuel, air and spark. If you can verify its getting all three without doubt, it has to run.

Sounds like there aint no fuel..mechanical or electric fuel pump? Remove the fuel "in" hose and make sure fuel is coming out while cranking.

• Moderators

Car has been sitting around for 6 months and I need to start it now. The engine cranks but doesn't want to cough into life.

I have a fresh tank of fuel and a new battery. I have taken the spark plugs out, they all looked good, no deposits or wear. Cranked the engine with them out, put them in again with same result.

Appreciate any suggestions for a newb.

Cheers

Jason

Hi

Whereabouts in Syd are you ?

If you don't have any luck, and it is not to far, I might be able to drop over and give you a hand.

Cheers

PB

May I suggest (based on recent experience)

- if only mechanical points, take off distributor cap and turn it over to see you get a spark across the points (or hold a plug lead and get a hit if you like that type of thing)

- if no spark (unlikely) then you have an ignition problem. Coil, etc.

- if you get a spark, take off air cleaner and spray "Start You Bastard" into the intake.

- if you do not get a kick, its still the ignition problem

- if it kicks and will not run its a fuel problem. Assuming you have SU's, take off each fuel bowl and see if there is any fuel in there (careful not to lose the float needle). I would guess that there will be no fuel and potentially the needle is stuck. I had one stuck open and the other shut!

- if that's OK it would have to be a blocked fuel filter or a fuel pump not working

Good luck with that

I would go with the above advice, especially from oldmates260z. I'd say it's more than likely fuel. Modern fuels deteriorate over only a few months & as they do they can leave gummy deposits. I had a similar thing with my Mustang recently, car had sat for about 8 months & already had aged fuel in it. I had to prime the fuel lines & the pump, once the pump was primed fresh brand new fuel was drawn through & the engine eventually started & has been fine ever since.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Nice of you to help Jason out in his hour of need  ;).

Regards: Alan.

Helping each other out is what this is all about  ;)