Chassis Number Bingo

HS30-H

Ooh, that's good. Never seen that before.

How complete might that be though? Any advance on 'HS30-103779'?

It's all user submitted data. So accuracy can vary.

Not as accurate as my Nissan Silvia CSP311 Register which is mostly verified by photos of chassis numbers & ID plates.

http://csp311.org/page.php?action=register

I have plans to update the Z register at some point as time permits.

• Administrators

That's awesome Craig, sorry to go off topic for a second here, but ever seen a Gold (was more brownish when I saw it) Silvia with a smashed in boot / beaver panel? It was quite original but in rough shape. It was being driven in 1999 around the Chadstone / Caulfield area of Melbourne, I remember the interior and steering wheel being original. It was a cool little car, my mates and I jumped the fence at school to walk down the street and go look at it. I always wonder if it was saved...

That's awesome Craig, sorry to go off topic for a second here, but ever seen a Gold (was more brownish when I saw it) Silvia with a smashed in boot / beaver panel? It was quite original but in rough shape. It was being driven in 1999 around the Chadstone / Caulfield area of Melbourne, I remember the interior and steering wheel being original. It was a cool little car, my mates and I jumped the fence at school to walk down the street and go look at it. I always wonder if it was saved...

Sounds a bit like a beige one in Queensland. I don't know if it was ever in Victoria though. I hope it got saved.

Spent a little bit of time on the Nz z forum registry. Highest HS30 was HS30- 102878 (but then there are only about 6 people that have specified there chassis numbers, its mostly regos, registration and build dates and owners names)

Purchased HS30 - 103781 last year from QLD, may be the car PeterH was talking about!

White - 3 speed auto. Will add car details to the register shortly

That's a goodie! So is there any sort of record as to what was the last chassis number to roll off the line?

Yes Shaun 240......I'd say that's the one..... it was white and I'm sure it was auto...and I recall the number being very close to mine....

past travel companions on the production line and on the boat most likely....

Does any one have any contacts in Nissan Australia head office?? as HS30H wrote ....there would have been paper records of all the cars that came into the country. If they still exist they would most likely be in a dungeon somewhere.....not likely that you'd find some one interested enough to go looking unless they owned one of the cars themselves.....

According to information in a book "Datsun Z Fairlady to 280Z" by Brian Long, there were 2358 240Z's sold in Australia

1970    319

1971    894

1972    362

1973    783

I wonder where he got the figures from. There were also private imports ...one was sold from Narrabri in NSW recently....it was supposed the be a private import into Australia in the '70s it was metallic blue with Fairlady 240Z badges....I believe it was headed to Western Australia....without trying invade peoples privacy it might be good to know the chassis number of that car.

• Administrators

Does any one have any contacts in Nissan Australia head office?? as HS30H wrote ....there would have been paper records of all the cars that came into the country. If they still exist they would most likely be in a dungeon somewhere.....not likely that you'd find some one interested enough to go looking unless they owned one of the cars themselves.....

According to information in a book "Datsun Z Fairlady to 280Z" by Brian Long, there were 2358 240Z's sold in Australia

1970    319

1971    894

1972    362

1973    783

I wonder where he got the figures from. There were also private imports ...one was sold from Narrabri in NSW recently....it was supposed the be a private import into Australia in the '70s it was metallic blue with Fairlady 240Z badges....I believe it was headed to Western Australia....without trying invade peoples privacy it might be good to know the chassis number of that car.

I agree in that I'm skeptical of Brian Long's numbers, although I have his book and another Mazda RX-7 book which are both good I'm not sure how reliable his sources are for numbers relating to S30z's in Australia.

That specific car was a metallic blue Fairlady 240z (L24) engine and had a rally clock, foot rest, headlight covers w/chrome trim ring and overrider less bumpers.

I believe it was purchased by an Australian lady living in Japan at the time and brought back as a personal import, Kats (a well known user) commented that the colour choice was quite rare at the time as most Japanese liked white - perhaps to remain inconspicuous?

*Edit found link here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/topic/23900-datsun-240z-vs-fairlady-z432/?p=205606

My car is a 1973 Datsun Fairlady 240Z-L, sold to an Australian lady working in Japan at the time. I have all the original Nissan documentation, including the following: Estimate, Sales Note, Purchase Order, Bill and separate Receipts for Deposit and Balance.

The Vin is HS30 103407 and Engine # L24 185588. I believe the build date is 48 07 13 and the vehicle was "transferred" on 48 07 25. The vehicle was first registered on August 10, 1973. First Insurance is dated 48 8 9.

Kats I know you understand the dates provided above.

The 240Z is not original, in the sense that there have been many parts replaced over the 30+ years. The lady who owned the car maintained it very well and has kept complete records of all maintenance. It has travelled approximately 195k km. It maintains the main theme of the 240Z-L, with the fender mirrors, headlight protectors, 8 track Stereo and AM Radio etc.

I am "refreshing" the car only, but am anxious to get it back on the road. I am waiting on important parts and upgraded seat belts (retractable) and then I will be away.

Congratulations on your cars once agian. I am particularly impressed with the Z432. It is amazing.

Regards, Jack

Thanks Gavin...that is the  car....I spoke to Jack with the idea of having a look at the car before it was shipped off to it's  new owner but we didn't find a mutual time to do that.

I seem to be spending a lot of time trying to track down cars that I have seen for sale....isn't retirement great  :-\

...I wonder where he got the figures from. .

Review: by Carl Beck, states:

Brian's wife Miho, is originally from Japan and thus they spend half their year in Japan and the other half in England. This has given Brian a great opportunity to do a very good job of research at Nissan Motors Ltd. Japan - and in turn, Brian is capable of giving the reader the full benefit of the hard work done by him and his wife.

ref: http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/Books/references.html

Review: by Carl Beck, states:

Brian's wife Miho, is originally from Japan and thus they spend half their year in Japan and the other half in England. This has given Brian a great opportunity to do a very good job of research at Nissan Motors Ltd. Japan - and in turn, Brian is capable of giving the reader the full benefit of the hard work done by him and his wife.

ref: http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/Books/references.html

With the caveat that some of the data supplied by Nissan Motors Japan can be wrong, depending on where it came from...

I know Brian, and actually helped him in a very small way with his first book on the Z. I think it's fair to say that updates to his Z-related books could put right a few examples of bogus data, where known and recognised.

When it comes to things like chassis numbers, it's probably best if we take the long-term view that we don't know the whole story and quite possibly never will. Data obtained or extrapolated from official and semi-official sources often conflicts, but the numbers on the cars themselves tell their own stories. There always seem to be exceptions that prove greater rules, and I guess it's not that surprising given the situation between Nissan Motors, Nissan Shatai and all of their suppliers during the period concerned. It's a little bit of a can 'o worms, and there's always a little bit of dirty laundry that certain parties (even 40+ years later) would rather we didn't see. There are a few skeletons in closets too...   

OK I have HS30 - 102955 (interestingly they did use my chassis number for the car number field), from memory i worked out it was a July build, Engine Number: L24-178126. Owners manual was printed in April etc.

I have questions about the foot bar. I pulled one out of an early 2+2 and thought that they were only for 2+2s when you had the seat moved right back. Were these an optional part? What models did they come on? Did HS-30Hs come with them?

post-873-144023790705_thumb.jpg

post-873-144023790717_thumb.jpg

• Administrators

OK I have HS30 - 102955 (interestingly they did use my chassis number for the car number field), from memory i worked out it was a July build, Engine Number: L24-178126. Owners manual was printed in April etc.

I have questions about the foot bar. I pulled one out of an early 2+2 and thought that they were only for 2+2s when you had the seat moved right back. Were these an optional part? What models did they come on? Did HS-30Hs come with them?

Pretty sure Fairlady Z-L came with the foot rest before 1974 (which was when the 260z's in Australia got them). I believe you can see them in some of the works rally cars also. Alan will be able to confirm but I also think HS30-H (A.K.A Fairlady 240ZG) had them installed.

Not sure about S30Z-S models, think they were pretty basic and wouldn't have had it.

I think the 432s (PS30's) had it also. (from the RM auction site: http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1072399)

am15_r194_021.jpg

• Administrators

I have one in the garage and trying to work out if it's a cool thing to have or not haha.

Pretty sure they didn't get them in the North American market, so yes it's cool :)

Haaar, we have sister cars. Mine also came from Capitol motors in Auburn, and was delivered 48 hrs before yours.

Is that the vehicle I.D at the top of the cards ? Look how close they are.

(Gav, can you rotate the pic...I-pad giving me the sh*ts) ::)

Edit...pics removed of delivery card details....too much personal info on display regarding serial No's for key cutting..

• Administrators

I'll have to download rotate reupload...

I feel left out I don't have any of these dealer cards. Might have to make 1 up ;)