Jump to content

Scando

Members
  • Posts

    945
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Scando

  1. I use it and I won my class last year and I'm winning again this year Also won races using it in karts for years before they banned leaded fuels. I must admit I haven't used C16 before. What's the cost? The guy that has the lap record in my class for both Tassie tracks used to run Elf 107 and switched to avgas because he got better results. He runs a 200SX and at Symmons Plains his lap record is the same as what the Gibson GTR's did and we have to run on DOT approved tyres.
  2. My mistake, the thousands of people who have successfully used avgas in motorsport over the years obviously had it terrbily wrong....
  3. As Lurch mentioned, check the diff. You might pick yourself up a very cheap R200 LSD!
  4. I finally remembered to do this today, lol. Nah, no ADR markings unfortunately, just the FIA ones.
  5. You're saying it's no good because it doesn't ignite as easy? That's the whole point of it! It's wonderful stuff. Of course you're not going to get more power just putting in your car. It reduces detonation, that's what high ocatane fuels do. As Dimitri said, you need to advance the timing, or increase the compression ratio, or if it's a turbo car wind up the boost. But it is illegal to use on the road and you're supposed to have a pilots license or a log book issued through CAMS as Galderi mentioned before you can buy it. It's around $3 a litre which makes it quite cheap compared to other race fuels. I used to run my car on 98 and it detonated a head gasket on 10psi with 10 degrees timing advance. Now, running on avgas it's running 18psi and a minimum of around 25 degrees timing advance. So it now has an extra 50kw@wheels from when it was running on 98...............
  6. No, but if you don't you can choose between having no suspension travel or having the car sit-up like a 4WD with a lift kit in it With the ride height I have my car at the wheels would be hitting the original guards if they hadn't been cut even if it had zero suspension travel. Induction setup is looking schweeeet Tim.
  7. CP pistons in the US make custom forged pistons to whatever specifications you want. Mine were $1400 and Hodgo got a quote the other day which came out at around the same price. Might be worth considering.
  8. hehe, 2 strokes don't have cams.... You would need to weld up the valve holes in the head and bore ports on either side of each cylinder for the inlet and exhaust to go through. Then you would have to put sleeves from the outside of the block to the cylinder sleeve to make your ports, ignition would be easy. Then after all your hard work you'd find out it's no good because the L6 crank viabrates everything to peices before it pulls enough revs for a 2 stroke to make decent power........ Did some old Charade's come with a 2-storke option? I know daihatsu made some 2 stroke vans
  9. bahahaha. That's gotta be up there in the greatest rice mods of all time What about a pod filter at the front with the pipe back to the plenum going through a dry ice box? It's highly dangerous and expensive for the results but would work
  10. Scando

    Karting

    I only ever drove CRG's a couple of times. They seem to have a lot of success in the classes with heavy karts and grippy tyres, rotax, leopard, clubman super heavy, etc. Yeah, I head lots of people are blowing the leopards up which makes it too expensive. I raced rotax from when the class first started in Australia (I think it was 1999). They go forever between rebuilds and the only thing I ever had go wrong was the balance weight gears went on one.
  11. As Hodgo said, they're definately a good hillclimb weapon with all the weight back. Here's some more pics from the Baskerville hillclimb http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/stephennoble/CMI%20baskerville%20hillclimb%2009/
  12. Scando

    Karting

    Nice work I hear the numbers in rotax are picking up again lately. Everybody was switching to Leopard for a while there. What chassis are you running?
  13. It's One of those things, Mackrell's car would most likely be the quickest Z on a hillclimb but the 4WD would be no good a circuit. Then I'm sure there's other that would be quicker on a 1/4 mile. So I guess it's pretty hard to say what's the 'quickest Z'. I reckon an MR2 would be a very good car to tackle late classic in tarmac rallys. Age period goes up to 1989 but anything 4WD has to run early modern. So the mid engine MR2 would have quite an advantage over most the cars, except the Porshces. Here's a few pics of how KB's new car is being built. It's a bit expensive to buy a DB9 to hack up for a sports sedan so................
  14. Put any more thought into what sort of cage you're going to go for when the time comes Scott? The one you want is for a Patrol. Should be able to get them from Repco, Bursons, etc.
  15. 400kw@wheels in a front wheel drive.............Yuk! I'm alergic to front wheel drives I've heard historic sports sedans are becoming popular. The other thing is, do they currently run under the sports sedan rules as per the CAMS rule book? For the shannons nationals aren't they running under different rules with the Transam class cars from NZ? Will be interesting to hear how it goes. Wouldn't be easy to get the necessary power reliably out of an SR!
  16. Just need to correct some wrong information on my behalf. I just checked with the old boy and KB's car isn't Carling's old car. He bought Carling's car, made moulds of all the panels, etc and copied some of the parts from the car. But his car was built from scratch from a 300ZX (I remember him saying there's about 20KG of original 300ZX in it). When he was done with it he sold Carling's car to Voigt so that explains a few things. I'll have to try to find out what engine Voigt is running in it now.
  17. Yeah, I reckon those supercharged Aurion's would be a ripper of a production car except they keep making them so they drive the wrong bloody wheels! Hopefully one day they'll wake up and make them rear wheel drive. The 4AGE is a great engine, especially for their time. Get the supercharged version, get rid of the supercharger and add a turbo and they're an awesome little power house. Don't take too much notice of power figures though. On paper the S2000 should be super quick with 184kw in a light car. But the problem is they have no torque and only produce power through a very narrow rev range, much like the Corolla Sportivo. They're still very quick for a n/a 2 litre but not as quick as you might think. And I'm sure Toyota could make oodles of power from the 3.5 litre 6 but you don't get a reputation for reliability like Toyota has by building cars that throw a leg out of bed after 20,000K's Ah, makes sense, so you could still run the VG30ET out of the Z31's then. Maybe that's what Voigt was running last year? I wonder what you could get out of a 1JZ? You really need a V6 rather than a straight 6 though to get the weight where you want it and still be within the parameters of how far you can move the engine from the original position. lol, I guess KB's car would be the fastest 'new model' Datsun in Aus, which would also make it the quickest Z car in Aus. Can't think of anything that would be quicker, not around a circuit anyway.
  18. My car has Koni reds and I've been very happy with them. I'm sure Hodgo can vouch from targa wrest point that it sits very nice over the bumpy stuff with no nasty rebounding. A previous daily driver of mine had KYB's and was horrid. I don't think it was the fault of the shocks though. A previous owner had setup the suspension with springs too stiff for the shocks. As a result the shocks couldn't control them and it jumped across the road at any sign of a bump.
  19. How did they change the rules to ban it? I thought Voigt was still running a VG30 last season? I reckon a twin turbo 350Z engine would be the way to go. Just creeps in under 6 litres with the 1.7 multiplication. Or have they banned turbos altogether? He wants to bring it back to tas to have a crack at the Baskerville outright lap record set by John Bowe in a Ralt RT4. So that's where I'll get a drive of it if he decides to do it
  20. LOL, Boring night Hodgo? Seriously why does everybody think stiff is good for handling? I run 16mm bars front and rear and around 200lb springs front and rear. In my class I've always been down on power but made up for it because the car squats and puts the power to the ground while the others are sliding around like drift cars with their stiff springs and bars. Hodgo's car was a very very quick tarmac rally car that got some excellent results, guess what? 200lb springs. If you're running in Marque Sports, etc on full slicks then that's a different story. But for road use and the occasional track day, don't go overboard. The lowered King Springs sound perfect.
  21. I take it the rat sill isn't quite ready to go yet then? Rumor is Cannan is real keen for the series win so if the supercar isn't fixed he'll pull the 930 out of the shed. I reckon I should be able to beat him in the 930 but it won't give me much of a points buffer for when he gets the Supercar going again. I'm not too concerned about the series this year. More looking forward to getting the new snail and lumpy stick in and seeing what sort of lap times the old girl will do. Sums it all up pretty well Kerry Baily is my dad's boss. He's always been really good to me and sponsored me since I started racing karts when I was 8 He's been promising me a drive of the 300ZX for a few years now. I had a couple of drinks with him friday night and he bought it up again so hopefully it'll happen. 1000kg and over 700hp on big fat slicks = ;D ;D It is the old Carling car. It went like crazy with the VG30 but it was a hand grenade so that's why when Kerry rebuilt it he put the chev in it.
  22. For photos from the hillclimb go to this link: http://www.cmitas.org/ Then under the Baskerville hillclimb heading click on "Click for photos by Paul Rice" Check out the Maroon Z. The photos really don't do it justice. It's a very very tidy car.
  23. At the end of the year I may sell my setup. It'll depend on a few things whether or not I decide to do it. If you're still looking around christmas time then send me a PM.
  24. If you can find an R30 skyline gear lever they already have the S bend in them
  25. Sounds like your well on the right track mate. Pretty much, although there are minor differences.
×
×
  • Create New...