Jump to content

Scando

Members
  • Posts

    945
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Scando

  1. Thanks guys, I've got a welded R180 3.54 that I was running last year at Symmons with the 15's so I think I'll take that and the moustache bar to fit it just incase. Don't think I'll be going under your time Ash. I was comparing times the other day trying to work out roughly where I'll be and I saw you did a 1:47. Man that is quick for a n/a Z! I know slicks make a fair difference but still, to be almost on the Improved Production lap record and a second quicker than the Nc lap record with a lot less power than those guys is very impressive I just can't wait to drive the track
  2. Hi guys I'm just wondering if my diff ratio is going to be suitable for PI. I'm running 255/40 17's, a 3.7 diff, and at Symmons Plains I'm pulling roughly 230km/h at 6000rpm at the end of the straight. Everybody tells me to expect to pull a fair bit more speed down the straight at PI than Symmons. I've got my limiter at 6300 which should give me a maximum of around 240. Do you think this will be enough? I'd be interested to hear what other people run there (obviously ratios will change massively depending on engine, wheel size, etc.) Thanks Shane
  3. It's out of most circuit racing aswell but I can still run it in my class and I have the log book which enables me to buy it. Thanks for the info guys, I'll give Morrabbin airport a call and see how I go
  4. Hi guys Unfortunately you're not allowed to take fuel drums on the Spirit of Tasmania so I can't bring fuel across for the PI meet. I have a department of environment log book issued through CAMS so that I am allowed to buy it. Can anybody suggest some places I can try to buy it? Thanks Shane
  5. My car has a cage and isn't overly powerful compared to what this beast will be capable of producing. I've noticed the paint has cracked right along the seam that runs through the floor behind the seats where the seam has been 'working' a little. Plan is to weld this seam and put some stronger chassis rails through over summer. Loving this build buy the way. Nice strong design for the gearbox mount.
  6. Yeah they're bloody heavy compared to an R180 hey! At least the weight is low and towards the back of the car though. What size wheels are you running and what do you intend to rev the RB to?
  7. I'm with you on that one. A genuine 250gt is a beautiful car. But when you try to make a Z look like one...........each to their own I suppose.
  8. lol, sounds good. I'll just need to pick a very calm day for bass straight
  9. Thanks heaps for that info Lgee. Lawson is the man to beat in our class. I'll get in contact with him, he might do a good deal if all the guys use Toll for the trip.
  10. haha, come on , I'm from Tassie and I didn't get burnt........that day........am now
  11. Hehe, that's not as silly as it sounds It will be very expensive for them to trailer the cars over. When it gets closer to the event let me know. Bluerat and myself might be able to find some traliers for them to use over here and they can do what I'm trying to do and tralier the car to the boat then drive it on.
  12. That's the thing, campers and cars are subsidised by the Tasmanian government to bring tourism into Tasmania and are very cheap. Normal trailers aren't subsidised and are super expensive. Some people I know that do regular car/kart racing interstate have made trailers that look like campers so that they get the subsidised rate.
  13. Hey guys It's not 100% certain yet but it looks like I might be coming to Phillip Island for a run. Bahrain has been cancelled for the Supercars so they're doing another PI meet to fill the hole and our class has been invited to run Unfortuntely it's on the same weekend as the historic meet that Dat2kman has mentioned in another thread (6/7/8 of November) :-\ The cheapest way for me to do this is to trailer the car to Devonport, take it off the trailer and drive both it and the tow vehicle onto the boat then hire a trailer in Melbourne to tow the car to the track. This way it will cost me around $320 return for the two cars on the boat vs $2300 if I took the car on the trailer! So, I was wondering if anybody knows somewhere in Melbourne that does car trailer hire cheap or if a member of the forum has a trailer I could hire off them at a good price Or I may be able to give pit paddock passes to the event in return Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Shane
  14. I got some but they were with a crappy little camera. A lot of my pics only include half the car but I managed to get some pretty good ones of your car. I'll post them up when I get back to Tas. I'm sure Sexual Sushi will have some that are much better than the snaps I took. Thanks for the tour of the shed the other night, was awesome to have a look at your toys. Also thanks to PZG302 for the tour of his shed and the beers on saturday and Galderdi for sunday. Pitty I couldn't hang round longer. Good to meet so many QLD members! It's been an excellent trip.
  15. I have a 120Y door handle on one side of mine. It is exactly the same and required no modifications.
  16. Kelvin's beast sure disappears into the distance down the straights hey. Man, that thing has some go! I was thinking since the cameras are such wide angle I might try sticking it on the passenger side window on an angle so that the right side is facing me and the left side is facing the track and see what that turns out like.
  17. Nasty stuff! I sometimes think about the amount of stress certain parts of the car are under when you're flogging it on a circuit.............and then decide it's best to stop thinking! Were you running wheel spacers?
  18. Yeah a 3540 is a bit bigger then I would have went for if I bought a new one but I got it at the right price so it's worth a try. It was on an SR20 before and it made boost from 3,000rpm so hopefully it'll be ok. The small exhaust housing should definately make it come on quicker than a normal 3540. I'm making a new dump for this turbo instead of modifying the old one so that I can easily change back if necessary. Here's the video of the final race from last weekend. The sound is a bit poor so I'll have to try some different things with the camera.
  19. Started playing with the new turbo yesterday. Looks like it's going to fit with a few minor modifications but it's very very close to the engine mount. It's a GT3540R with a a very small exhaust housing at 0.63 and has a 0.70 compressor. The car it came off was making 580hp which is a hell of a lot more than I'll be making so I know it will flow plenty. Just hope it's not laggy.
  20. As Lurch said, any semi-slick is the way to go. I've only had experience with Dunlop DZ03G and Bridgestone RE55's. These are probably the best two semi-slicks about. I run the Dunlops because they're about 0.5-1 second quicker around our local tracks. For a road car I'd go the RE55's as they work better cold. If you're not worried about wear go for the TT (Time Trial) or WT (Wet) compound and they'll be much better than any street tyre wet or dry. Or in the Dunlops go for the medium or soft compounds. But be warned that these will wear very very quickly and aren't cheap. Another tyre worth looking into are the Toyo's. These are much cheaper and people are starting to get good results with them.
  21. That's a serious wing! I'm heading to QLD for a holiday in a week. The Z is a bit big to fit in my suitcase though
  22. That was an interesting read NZeder. I'm sold, looks like a decent aero package is added to the list of summer projects. I may be able to pick up a big carbon rear wing for free. I've also been thinking about the front spoiler and was toying with the idea for making a lip that joins to the bottom of my current spoiler like the GTR N1 lip. But make it so it somehow clips on so it can easily be removed for going on and off the trailer and for getting a trolley jack under the front of the car. Picked up my new turbo tonight and my new cam should arrive tomorrow. If all goes well I'll have them on the car for the next meeting.
  23. Took me the entire qualifying session to get the balls to hold it flat through there in the wet. Got my best time when I finally did but I stopped breathing and may have even closed my eyes for a second By the way, I like the colour your camera makes my car. Should have painted it that colour! I think you're right Dimitri, I reckon it would improve the times at Symmons with the big straights so I may have to look into it. I've avoided it so far because I don't like the look. But I'm also starting to think the car needs a big rear wing to settle the bum down through the faster corners so I guess that throws looks out the window Thanks Gav. Where do I find the info sheet I need to fill out for you for the write up?
  24. Can't do. Our fuel has to comply with the definition of commercial fuel or race fuel under schedule G of the CAMS manual. What motorsport do you do where you're allowed to run blends? I thought it was banned across pretty much everything controlled by CAMS? I'm not saying avgas is the be all and end all of fuels. If you can find me something better for $3 a litre that is legal for me to run then I'd be keen to hear more about it. I don't know that much about the car but I know the standard management is long gone. I believe he's running a Motec.
  25. Well, after the last round of the series at Baskerville I left a little bit disappointed that there was no improvement in lap times when we thought we had found extra power and response with the new computer. After the meeting we found the hose going on the throttle body was leaking slightly. We fixed this and added an extra 5% of fuel across the entire map as we know the car likes to run unusually rich. We headed to Symmons Plains on sunday which is a real power track and I finished the day much happier than when we left Baskerville. My best time for the day was 60.17 which is 1.6 seconds quicker than than I got at round 1 there this year! And if my calculations are right I was pulling an extra 10km/h down the back straight. The track was very wet for qualifying but I went for the old disconnect the front bar trick we learnt last year and the car felt really good. I qualified 2nd for my class which I was very happy with considering the car that beat me was an evo and there was another evo behind me. After that I was hoping it would keep raining but it dried out and to my surprise I also managed to finish 2nd in the first race. After that the other evo beat me for the rest of the day and I finished 3rd overall. The guy that was running 2nd in the series didn't show after blowing his engine at the last round so I now have a decent lead in the series despite the fact that I haven't been able to match the pace of the front runners. I finally got my camera working properly so I have some great footage trying to hunt down Uncle Kelvs Skyline in the final. I'll post it up in the next week or two. The sound still need some work but the picture is great. We also setup Hodgo's camera facing backwards in the car and got some interesting footage. A few pics http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9489 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9505 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9557 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9591 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9613 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9665 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9821 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9919 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=9993 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10027 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10037 http://dcpgallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=10095
×
×
  • Create New...