Australia's Best Road?

Quandary

So this morning I drove up Talegalla Road heading into Rosewood (west of Bris).  One of the most brilliant little roads ever.  It had everything.  Dips, creek crossings, dirt, steep hills, sweeping bends.  And in the countryside too.  So yeah, maybe not Australia's best, it was a pretty rough road, but certainly up there with the best around Brisbane.  Just made me love my sadly unfinished Z all over again.  I'm going to take some photos of it next time round.

It made me think of my other favourite roads too.

Samuel Griffith Drive (Mt Coot-Tha of course)

Tamborine Mt Rd

Mt Crosby Rd

Daguilar Hwy (Benarkin State Forest)

So I thought It'd be nice to compile a list of must drive roads should someone visit your area?

Great topic for a thread.

The Oxley Hwy between Port Macquarie and Tamworth. Not a bad way to spend 3 hours with your Zed.

Unfortunatly we just don't have roads like this in WA.

+1    you read my mind :)

Also the Cook Highway in Northern QLD apparently is great

i had fun on the road to kangaroo valley out of nowra. It is an awesome climb up a cliff face

I drove DOWn that road many many years ago (whilst on L's) with a semi behind me and my mother screaming her head off.  Hard work.  Great road!

Christmas Hills and Black Spur in Vic are not far behind GOR for value.

savage river road form waratah to savage river on tassies west coast corner after corner up and down hills not real pretty but so much fun and best bit is once u get to savage river there is just a dirty iron ore mine so u turn around and do it all over again just as much fun in reverse

Showed it to some mates on road bikes and now every time they get near there its lets go to savage river

mick

I grew up in Nowra and we nearly went off the cliff on those roads...  Its also got a lot of traffic.

My fav would have to be the road between Mt Beauty and Bright in Vic alps.  Its not massively long, but has absolutely everything and was a ball in my N15 SSS with my mate leading in his SR Barina (I know how gay that all sounds, but fuck it was fun) and not a lot of traffic either.

I grew up in Nowra and we nearly went off the cliff on those roads...  Its also got a lot of traffic.

My fav would have to be the road between Mt Beauty and Bright in Vic alps.  Its not massively long, but has absolutely everything and was a ball in my N15 SSS with my mate leading in his SR Barina (I know how gay that all sounds, but fudge it was fun) and not a lot of traffic either.

there was no traffic on it when i was on it ant about midnight.

Just 1 crazy guy in a ute with a trailer who obviously new the road far better than i did because i had trouble keeping up with him

when we all went to thredbo last year , I really enjoyed the drive from Adaminaby to Khancoban on the Vic border...Id love to do that drive again but with spring snow..

Also from the NSW south coast from Merimbulla headed south is nice, but too much traffic these days.

Chain of Ponds (very scenic), Gorge Road, and Corkscrew Road are all very good (albeit short) roads around the Adelaide hills.

+1

also interesting one as long as there is no traffic is from Mount Lofty expecialy at night  heading down the twisty way. also Old Norton Summit Rd.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone in Sydney, i would have to say Putty Rd would be the best drivers road within a reasonable distance from the city centre.

It starts in Windsor and ends up in Singleton, about 150kms of ridge tops, switch backs, and an awesome twisty section towards the end in a steep valley floor, the road quality is pretty good in most parts.

Traffic is generally pretty quiet, just gotta watch out for the occasional bikers trying to get their knees down on the apex  :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putty_Road

After spending the last couple of weeks working at Port Campbell I would have to say the GOR, especially the section west of Lavers Hill to Princetown.

Brisbane North - A circuit up the Mount Glorious/Nebo/Mee along the D'agular Highway through Montville and down to Sunny Coast.

Brisbane South - The Numinbah Valley road to Murwillumbah or the Lions Road.