OS Giken stroker kit

BenZed

So what will you be doing with you current engine Ben?

Good question, but I'll decide once I get the new bits from OS. I do have a 240K GT sitting in the corner of the shed waiting to be turned into a Ken Mary replica (GC110 GT-R)

Good question, but I'll decide once I get the new bits from OS. I do have a 240K GT sitting in the corner of the shed waiting to be turned into a Ken Mary replica (GC110 GT-R)

JESUS LORD!!!  :o Legen wait for it DARY!

Fu - it's not something that's going to be in big demand - not a lot of people are going to buy something like that...

Demand is inversely related to price.  With a cast alloy manufactured object, fixed (sunk) costs are very high, marginal cost very low, average price reducing greatly as quantity increases.

Producing 6 items would not even come close to the point of efficient production.  Purely, they are restricting output to be able to charge a ridiculous price.

The demand would be there if they were (say) priced at $5k, which would be well above marginal production cost.

Demand is inversely related to price.  With a cast alloy manufactured object, fixed (sunk) costs are very high, marginal cost very low, average price reducing greatly as quantity increases.

Producing 6 items would not even come close to the point of efficient production.  Purely, they are restricting output to be able to charge a ridiculous price.

The demand would be there if they were (say) priced at $5k, which would be well above marginal production cost.

These head castings have been sitting around at OS Giken for years. The first time I went to the factory 8 or 9 years ago they were stacked up in a corner. Don't know why they suddenly decided to use them.

These head castings have been sitting around at OS Giken for years. The first time I went to the factory 8 or 9 years ago they were stacked up in a corner. Don't know why they suddenly decided to use them.

:o

That's just bizarre...

I'm sure we have all read the article about the worker, at OS giken, scavenging through rejected castings to find a close to prime(yet still a reject) example to work on. Which he managed to get running and now races it.

I'd be more worried if they, the new batch released, were previously in the rejected pile. But at 30k a pop you'd hope not, they probably remade the molds and are set for a comeback. *fingers crossed for cheap TC24-b1* Assuming they are taking this business plan approach then ideally they would want to sell more. However they hold the cards as they have more demand to their supply currently. But then again they could have sold the rejected ones after all they were turning what they believed to be a $0 product into a $30k product.

During these economic times and with the Japanese financing sector in crisis(in the best of economic times Japan has the lowest interest rates in the world due to the fact that no one really buys houses, in Japan, as earth quakes makes their houses depreciate. Imagine them in the worst economic times, like currently), yea I think these are the course of action OS Giken needs to resort to in order to turn a profit and ultimately to survive. Prime example of why no Japanese workshops bought a casting too. But a better example for how harsh it is in Japan is how Greddy/Trust went bust.

*EDIT* This is the link about the worker finding it. http://www.datrats.com.au/OS%20GIKEN%20ENGINES.htm

I recall reading on a Japanese site that only 11 TC24-B1 were made (however it might have been lost on the translation) and their might have been 11 of these head casting left after the production ceased. I found this good pic of break down on the OS Giken TC24-B1 head.

tc24-b1-1.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Here's a pic of all the components I'm waiting for...

I'm so envious of you! :). Can't wait to see it installed. Can I buy your old engine head off you? Or is that going on the C110?

Please tell me its going in the Zed :P

It does depend on what Ben's plans are with the zed - if your local classic racing permits the OS Giken head go for it (assume that is what he plans to use the zed for a track car) but if the rules don't allow it then he might have to stick with the normal head.

I guess Ben will let us know when he is ready :)

I was doing a bit of reading over on classicz and saw about 20 years ago EKW had an s20 engine for sale which was promtly snapped up by someone from England but I think Alan on this forum now owns it, pity I was only about 15 I would have liked to have bought it myself!