Hi all, new to town

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Razz have you considered loading the car onto a truck...?

Not wanting to sound like a pussy but it's going to be 43 degrees mate!

:P its a Z. she be allright.

mine survived the 46C heavy traffic yesterday. stayed put at half temp.though cant say that i didnt overheat need to get the a/c regased asap another over 42C day tomorow  :'(

but on safe side Mick has a good idea. since u dont know the car getting stuck on 43 in middle of nowhere will suck.

Nice car by the way RAZZ.

needs a bit of TLC to under carage otherwise look like in good nick. (besides the dash but thats kinda expected)

may the drive back home be enjoyable and hasle free if u decide to drive her back.

It is important whenever you buy a car off the net, as I did, that you look at the photos with a pessimistic view as the car will always be worse than it looks in a photo. I flew to Albury to find out mine had some stone chips that just took the shine off the glossy photos. (I have the problem now that I am selling it that I talk it down)

However, looking at yours for the price you got it, and a two seater with the same owner for 22 years, its a great buy. I am jealous.

PS. Mine still has the front undertray too!!!

Scott , when you get her home safely, give the undercarriage a good pressure clean and spray it up with fish oil or similar..it looks dry-as under there, & has 20 years of caked on dirt & muck..

haaar I never knew zeds had stone-trays !!

What suburb are you in ?

yeah, underneath needs a good looking at.  pressure spray sounds like a good idea  :)  any recomended rust treatments/prosses? or just a sweet coat of fish oil?

still plan on driving it back, slowly :P  we've made a tool kit up, (dad and I - he's my mechanic) and will be taking it real easy, problems expected. 

yeah, I haven't let myself get too worked up about everything just from the photos, expecting a bit of gloss to be missing when i get there, but i've been longing for this car for ages, so no matter what, i'm stoked!

In QBN, you?

Hey Razz take it nice and easy with the fish oil. I do mine every couple of years and this time.

I soaked it in fish oil, Left it over night and it all run out everywhere and dust settle on it and than the fish oil dried, Now its a bitch to get off.

You can see it in the photo.

ahhhh, home sweet home. As far as photo to actual car went, it was pretty much spot on  ;D  few bits of rust here and there, mainly behind the battery in the firewall...... wonder if we've had that conversation already?? :P.....

the drive went well. no hose popping, overheats, just a nice smooth drive.  only kink in the whole plans was the alternator, and regulator, which were no good.  we managed to find an auto elec open (lucky!!!) who sold us a new alt.  but couldnt source a reg,  but was assured by the guy that the battery would still charge well enough to get us home. 

car pushed on like a trooper the whole way.  began the run in 44 degrees heat.  eyes were burning from the heat, but temp stayed steady the whole way. 

now for the list of things to pass rego :

both outter die rod ends

both lower ball joint boots

swaybar bushes

oil leak eninge+gearbox

front and rear brake hoses frayed

castor rod bushes

and clip off brakes missing.

figured all the bushes would be about gone, so a bit of shopping tomorrow, hopefully get that sorted asap, so i can drive around ;D 

V happy

Hey Scott.  Good to see you got home safely.  I don't know how I missed 3 pages of this, but welcome again to the forum.  See why I told Tom to tell you about this site? lol

You should come on the Thredbo trip, even if you only come for Saturday-Sunday, I promise it will be worth it.

Scott

welcome back ! see zeds dont overheat !!

how do you know you have to do all those things for rego ? did the seller have an inspection done ??

are you rego-ing the car in Qbn or ACT...its a big difference.

yeah forgot, Im in Waramanga (weston creek) Scott W is in Tuggy, Miika's in Gunghalin, Simons in Macquarie, Josh is in Ainslie..

pics pics & pics !!

good old dato never give up.

good to hear u made the trip fairly easily.

few things to change but they are fairly minor.

as for undercarage.

give it a good high pressure clean before replacing bushes or any work under the car.

while u have the suspension apart clean the rust off and give it a respray. an enamel spray can will do quite well.

other than that i cant recall the brand of paint but all the detailing shops use it. the stuff is brilliant and sticks to anything. ill call my mate at the detailing shop to give me the brand and series of the paint. used it on my car and still looks brilliant.

x2 on cleaning the underside.

take your time while doing the bushes, ideally you would want to get the suspension components cleaned and powdercoated before pushing your new bushes in.

But, a good quality enamel, or exoxy paint out of a rattle can will have it looking very nice quickly.

as for the main undercarriage, make sure you clean it well, get it up in the air and get onto it with a wire brush, loosten off anything under there, and give it a real good coating of POR15, or good quality sound deadener.

your frame rails look to be in awesome shape, and there doesnt seem to be any large cancerous areas, looks like a damn good example of the marque.

yeah, before i got there the guy had an inspection done, in vic ( dont know if that makes any difference) and that was the list i was given.  going in tomorrow afternoon for an inspection check.  meanwhile, i've got some of the parts i need on order,  tie rod ends, volt reg.  anywhere i can get this thing up in the air so i can scrub up underneath?  keen to give it a good proper doing.  also, where can i grab this por15 stuff? sounds like its the go

The Vic roads/RTA inspection that was done, you may as well throw out, as youll have to get a "new" inspection in NSW to change to NSW plates..so you really dont "have" to be doing the repairs as noted on the victorian inspection report, wait till you get it re-inspected in NSW.

When I took mine to get regoed after having no rego for 5 years, I expected 10 pages of bits & pieces..it passed 1st attempt , the guy doing the inspection just happened to love zeds which may have helped  ;)

Hope you can get it ready for friday arvo !

i'll definitly be pushing to get it ready before then, don't you worry  ;D yeah, was just using the vic inspection as a guide, try and cover some of the possible problems i might run into, but i couldnt get any of the major parts to replace in time anyway  :P .  I'm hoping for a pass, but preparing to get knocked back for something.  once the check is passed i can walk straight in and get plates. got CTP all paid for and waiting, even fully comped on it already, just need the tick. 

well, i may as well just set the vic check on fire  :P all hoses, bushes, rod ends passed... i go knocked back on one brake light is a bit dim ( c-mon.....)  the battery isnt secured properly ( old battery holder is 1. too big for the new battery 2. not in the best of conditions to hold it there.  also found a rust hole in the floor, which is getting repaired wed for $100 ish, so friday looks like a go for me! 

when i first rocked up, i parked off to the side, and when i got called up to drive in, i was there for about a minute trying to start the thing!! mechanic is there just staring at me with a " are you serious??" look going on. i'm quietly begging the car to turn over, which it did, finally.  After that, its a first turn of the key and she's off and flying. 

also, are there any recommended mechanics around town that know carbies?  exaust smells like its running rich, not running very smoothly either.

Razz, if it's running the flat top carbs they have a habit of vaporizing fuel and not wanting to start! if you combine that with standard points ignition, you can end up with a car that doesn't always want to start.  See if you can get some 240 round top carbs, they are set and forget!

rev.

this is the easiest question yet...

go & see Bruce at Perfomance Plus at 20 Endurance ave Queanbeyan..there is no better carby person in the whole State.

see I told you not to panic about the 1st RTA inspection  ;D

sweet, i'll have to give this guy a ring, sounds like the go. 

i'm getting the work done by :

mark oliver

28 Wycombe st QBN

he's pretty friendly, and mate's reckon he's really good, so we'll see how it goes. could have alot more work coming his way  :P