240Z Racer - Back On Track

TomC18

Hi All, I'm new to this forum although I have been a visitor from time to time.

I have a 240Z race car which has been in storage since 2005 (HS30 10710).

It was a race winning car in Marque Sports, built by Neil Cartledge and Stan Holmes before I bought it in 1998, was on pole at Winton in my first outing in it, and raced it competitively for next few years, it was rebuilt by Steve Newing in 2004/5, but I broke the shift fork in the factory Option 1 gearbox on return in 2005 and now its 10 years later... kids sure eat up the years

Finally all the parts for the Option 1 box are there, ie new shift forks, gears and clusters etc etc, ready for re-assembly

It is a race car, no chance of putting it back on the road.  It was very quick on cross ply slicks, 1.44 at PI and 1.29 at Winton long track and had some improvements made when SNewing rebuilt it to run on radial slicks that should give it a few more seconds (that was a $23,000 rebuild...) although it's not very pretty, it was all spent on engineering and speed.  Engine is 2,930cc (ex 260z block) Motec fuel injected, it raced safely at up to 8,300 revs, light internals and lots of rigidity helped. It made 299hp at 8,000 on the datrally engine dyno, but had 296p at 6,000 rpm - very flat curve and would out accelerate Cobras with 500+hp, due to light weight and good gearing.

I have a page of detail re the mods, although there are so many subtle improvements that they don't really do it justice, it would cost well over $100,000 to build something like this now - not sure if I should post the full list, perhaps PM me if interested

I am looking for a cash sale although may consider a road car as a part trade.

Photo collage attached of a few race pic's - currently has G nose with white bonnet.

It's very hard to value, so I am open to considered opinion!

It's not eligible for Group T as built too late - although my Sports 2000 is! ;)

It's in Melbourne

Cheers

Tom

post-16285-14402379645_thumb.jpg

Hi Tom,

So the car requires the Option 1 to be rebuilt & then it will be able to turn a wheel?

Or are there other things that are required to be done? (apart from normal race prep).

Is there a spares package?

I know race cars are very hard to put a monetary figure on, but you MUST be able to state a ballpark price.

All as it was re-built, not even run in, apart from Dyno set up work, although now would need the usual rubbers replaced.

Lunched the box in first race, not fully engaging a 4-5 shift on back straight at Sandown, and rolled back to the pits (it rolls well)

there are 3 R200 locked diffs with different ratios, wets on mags, various shorter/longer suspension arms, strut tops etc for different set ups, belts, pads, consumables, there is a very low quick lift jack and tilt trailer, I think that's all the spares of value

All of the fibreglass moulds are still around

I would like around $50k

There are moulds for the front guards (with flares), rear flares, side skirts, rear spoiler, rear hatch, front valance with brake ducts and bonnet, as shown on the photos - all are with Alfa Fibreglass who made all the original panels (although I have just asked them to confirm this as it's been a few years since I last saw them)

They also had G-nose moulds I borrowed, not sure if they still have those, and some Sports 2000 moulds eg guards, bonnet and front spoiler they did for me too

They have stored them for 20 years and are free to use them if you would like some things made

Is the gearbox still at Lou Mondello's?

I recall seeing this car,, i think, along with the two Sports 2000's stored at Lou's, quite some time ago.bit of a bugger that it just misses out for Group T Historic classification, that would have given it somewhere to race, today.

It has been way to far modified to bring it back to Historic Group S category.

John Mckeon's ex Grennhalgh car is very similar in spec, just as "rough" but still purposefull.

He was asking $25/30k for it couple years back, as a complete runner, with new slicks.

It too msses out on Group T classification.

He wheels it out once or twice a year, and plays with the Mazda MX5's, while the current modern Proddies tussle out front.

Yep, box is still at Lou's.  there's $10k right there...

Interesting the way the category has gone. I think it would be too hard to take back to Group T anyway, and i have the Sports 2000 for that, which has a great specification as it was rebuilt in 1977/78 at exactly the right time.  There is ongoing discussion about a proper revival of the old Marque Sports cars, which this would be ideal for and they will eventually be accepted into historics as there are lot  of them around

There was a lot of time spent to get the car very low wide and light.  Neil and Stan were quite fanatical, so you couldn't afford to pay for the work! (or at least i couldn't) things like magnesium front hubs, magnesium centres on the rims, etc I costed it at over $100k build cost in 1997.  It was competitive against the Python/Robnell/ fastest MG V8's which all cost more than that to build back then and had the horsepower advantage. 

With engine developments since I stopped, I would now do a monster stroker L series with 400hp (which is just a bottom end as the head/manifold/injection etc will handle it) and with that power and a rear wing/front splitter for aero (which are now legal) this car would again run near the front, I would target 1.35's at the Island, but not sub 1.30's...

But it would take an $80k budget to buy/build, or a lot more to build from scratch, but still way less than anything else near the front...  Ferrari 458 Speciale anyone?

Hi Tom. Good to hear from you. Would be nice to try and match your lap times  at PI. Once I get my car sorted.

Good luck with your sale. Very limited market, but you never know. Some old guy crashed up may like the challenge . It's a fantastic car, and to be honest I was seriously looking at it when you bought it all those years ago. How ever we did race together in a few state rounds. Well done to you getting it up and running. Was a very fast zed. Perhaps the fastest 240z NA at the time. I hope it stays in Vic . Also I hope you sell it to some one that will race it. It's a shame to see cars like this sitting in a shed with dust all over them. Lots of History in that car.  Regards Gordon.

My opinion is that the sale price of such a car very much depends on what can be done with it, now. Not many potential buyers ie those with that sort of money to spend, will want a car that is basically an orphan as far as race classes go. If only because there are other orphans around that offer substantial bang for buck.

It is stupid that there is not a suitable racing class for cars like this but that's the way it is.

like all things, just need the right person!

Even sprints see some pretty interesting cars nowadays

looking at the Vic Supersprint series Sinisha in his GTR powered 240Z is into the 1.42's at the Island (still on road tyres!?) but that wasn't cheap to build

And there were 3 GT3's running into the high 1.30's, and it's always fun to give Porsches a push, as Gordo will find when his car is sorted :)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep - just looking for a hoist

I pulled out my post race notes from the last race (in 2005), item 1 Lou to remove gearbox, identify issues, rebuild, refit... almost resolved.

Item 2 new front spoiler with splitter for G-nose - discussions are underway...

Item 3 adjust brake bias (that's easy!)

etc

gee these race cars move slowly... Once its on track it will be much faster!

Also re-read all my previous race notes re suspension and sway bar settings, diff ratios and speeds for circuits and lots of other 'operating' issues.  Now I'm glad I kept them as there is a lot of stuff there that's been forgotten and is important to go fast

I might re-start this as a build/race blog

For those interested I checked the weight data from the last corner weighting and it was 920Kg's with 25kg's of fuel on board, so well sub 900kg dry 51% front 49% rear without driver and 50.5% fr 49.5% rear with driver.  I have to move the seat an inch or two rearwards....

• 2 weeks later...

It's weird how things work out sometimes, I found this mag whilst looking for something else last week, read it and worked out that one of the previous owners of your car, Ric Kemp, just did my shocks up and gave me some very good advise...now I see this! bloody small world. Sadly I don't have a spare 50g's sitting around.

Cheers  Hodgo

post-1057-144023807404_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023807733_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...