Performance Clutches

C.A.R.

Guys,

At some stage I'm going to need a new clutch (Std 280ZX unit atm).

This topic came up during the Tassie trip & it got me thinking; Button, paddle, organic, carbon, etc???

Now with the promise of more HP from my engine, I was wondering what performance/heavy duty clutches people have had experience with (or heard of).

My new one will need to stand up to the riggers of circuit work, yet still be 'usable' (very loose term) on the street.

Idea's people?

G'day,

Mine is a L26et and I put in a normal rpm clutch and pressure plate, i.e not button clutch etc. Over 5 years ago, it is a daily driver (I mean everyday!) it puts out some serious grunt (I embarrassed a WRX STI the other day) There is still no slip even when you dump the clutch in boost. At the time I was putting it in, I was talking to an enginering company in South Australia regarding a billet fly wheel and he was telling me that a nissan gtr clutch and pressure plate just fits the 260z, iv never tested the theory but he assured me that it does fit.

Regards,

Tony

yes they do fit, easily too.

Do NOT go a button typr clutch driven plate (friction disc), this is a comprimise type arrangement where the are trading in friction area  for clutch pressure (ie bite, by not increasing the actual clamping force of the pressure plate)$

go for a high clamping force pressure plate with either a carbon metailic or carbon/organic type friction/driven plate.

NEVER ever go for an extreme button clutch (or other brands similar) as they are crap, their pressure plates warp due to overheating caused by reduced friction area  of the driven plate resulting in excessive heat, like under rated brakes copping a caining.

Most nissan clutches can be used from the l4's through l6's rb, sr ca fj etc etc etc as nissan has blessed its owners with interchangeability.

my prev built l24 had an r32 gtr clutch complete, the dowles wernt drilled 100% concentric from prev owner so there was a slight shudder under heavy launches. but it would always give 100% lock up evan at 7600rpm all day long...

nato

• 1 month later...

I have a Cerametalic, Sprung button clutch and 1ton pressure plate.

The springs in the button clutch makes the clutch feel more like a normal clutch, as opposed to a non sprung botton clutch that is either on or off.

I had a little bit of shudder when I first started using the clutch on hill starts, but with some practice I got used to it.

DO NOT BUY EVER XTREEM CLUTCH OR ITS DERIVATIVES. i cannot stress this enough. absolute waste of hard earned money. absolute heap of cow doo.

Only one i will ever buy again is the Daikin clutch. usualy used by the OEM and mobs like Nismo etc....just look at nismo clutch and will have daikin symbol.

they are bit pricey but work lot better.

I have a 3000LB pressure plate (moded by hardocore performance in QLD) with Organic single plate clutch. (organic is what they call it  but its actualy very similar to metal King brake pads material) In car for last 4years. with hard abuse and still no slip.cost 550 posted to Adelaide for the upgraded pressure plate. daikin only supply 2100LB pressure plate.

xtreem clutch i paid 650 for for 2000LB pressure and sprung ceramic button. 6months later it was shot. absolute garbage.

the car in question is a S14 200sx with few mods.with the daikin clutch installed I destroyed 1 gearbox and 1 R200 lsd Diff in it. the car was pushed and still driving very well on the daikin. still possible 3rd and 4th gear chirps after 4 years.

Feel is lot heavier than stock but drivabilty is same. no gearbox shatter like with button or with ceramics.

My car runs a sprung centre button clutch but it was in the car when I bought it so I'm not sure of the brand.  Has no problems with hard launches and never slips.  The previous owner did several hill climbs and club days with it and I'm now half way through my second season of circuit racing with the car.  I'm onto gearbox no. 3 but the clutch has never caused a problem  :)

I wouldn't recommend one for a daily driver because of the way the grab in but should be fine for a weekend toy.

• 5 months later...

Guys,

At some stage I'm going to need a new clutch (Std 280ZX unit atm).

This topic came up during the Tassie trip & it got me thinking; Button, paddle, organic, carbon, etc???

Now with the promise of more HP from my engine, I was wondering what performance/heavy duty clutches people have had experience with (or heard of).

My new one will need to stand up to the riggers of circuit work, yet still be 'usable' (very loose term) on the street.

Idea's people?

Hi Lurch, can i ask which clutch you ended up going with, i got a quote from autobarn saying the Exedy Sports Tuff-HD is $329 and the ceramic one is $999  :o any other options.

Glen, I haven’t done it yet - being on the other side of the country makes it a bit hard...

I 'was' going to try the GTR conversion, but I think any HD setup will work fine in a predominantly road Zed :)

I'm thinking your right Lurch, at the very best i might see 200hp at the fly. I dont think thats anything over the top and certainly not justifiable for a ceramic $1000 jobby.

Thanks for your help. I shall be able to update when its all installed. Putting in the seats and harness's tomorrow :)

• 8 years later...

Exedy Twin Plate if one will fit.

Sorry do you mean twin plate wont fit but stage one will fit?

Also does any of the clutch size compatible with 225mm or 240mm flywheel? I removed a flywheel from a L28 engine and was thinking putting it into my L24.

I would go to direct clutch. I have one of their clutches in my Rx7 which can hold up to 500rwhp and feels like a factory clutch. It chirps 3rd if you shift it hard and they are about $1000. Highly recommended best sports clutch i've owned.

I strongly do not recommend the AP twin plate in my zed, it's just needlessly hard to drive.

Sorry do you mean twin plate wont fit but stage one will fit?

Also does any of the clutch size compatible with 225mm or 240mm flywheel? I removed a flywheel from a L28 engine and was thinking putting it into my L24.

What I mean is get an Exedy twin plate if it fits your car. Ask your supplier what fits and what can be made to fit, twin plates can rattle a bit at idle in neutral but for heavy work and lower pedal effort they piss all over a big single.

What I mean is get an Exedy twin plate if it fits your car. Ask your supplier what fits and what can be made to fit, twin plates can rattle a bit at idle in neutral but for heavy work and lower pedal effort they piss all over a big single.

My whole point was you don't need to bother going to a twin plate anymore. You can get a single plate that will hold the torque and still have a really light peddle with the direct clutch solution.