insurance

Huw

here we go....

Considering I'll be insuring my car comprehnsively in the next couple of months, I'm just wondering what insurers everyone favours...

I've only heard rave reviews about shannons so I'm erring that way but someone suggested 'vigil'....

any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm only 20 (soon 21) so i think my insurance will hurt regardless of who insures my car...

Huw

G,day Huw,

I have been with Vigil for a few years now, Have not had any reason to put them to the test as yet & dont want to!!! They have been easy to deal with, have a 24 hour roadside service, agreed value, one windscreen per year ,buyback of car if not being fixed.

I only had to install a saftey switch ie immobileser ect but they took my word its been fitted & no car inspection.

As far as age goes im nearly three times yours so the premiums will be quiet different between the two of us....Give em a call ..Good Luck..

Don't you need to be over 65, the car untouched and have a shite load of money to go with Shannons? Sorry if anyone is offended but i know a lot of people with nice cars, and no one i talk to has a good thing to say about them. 'For car enthusiasts?'

the only problem with that classic insurance mentioned is that my zed (initially anyway) will be a daily driver....and i think most of the 'classic' policies have a km limit (i drive to country regularly....) so might be out on that front.

hey i had a thread about this awhile back here when my car turned 30 so it actully was a classic car, GIO ended up being the cheapest by far, i'm the same age as you and all that it effects really is a $400 age surplus thingy coz we're under 24 or something like that, making the excess $800ish.

so i have my car insured as a 9g car and it costs me $315 a yr i think, unlimited kms, this is with the buy back option if its written off. all thanks to whatever they call their classic car insurance, which as soon as you mention the age of the car, they said something like "we dont offer 3rd party fire and theft anymore, only their classic insurance which is cheaper anyway" :D not limited km wise or anything like that so seems like a good deal to me, specially since shannons and anyone else wanted over 1g a year with more expensive excesses etc, and before this i was paying $400 a yr for 3rd party fire and theft!

if you find something better let me know as then i'll switch over too, and post some pics up of your car, it looks pretty dam nice in the avatar pic!

who have you got your rbz covered under sco_aus? a guy in qld who was thinking of a 1jz conversion found a company that would insure him for $1250 or so full comp and he was only like 21 i think, so thats heaps better than the quote i've been given from just cars for a stock car, kinda a joke huh?

don't have any good pics at the moment (have a long cramped drive) but there are a couple on my cardomain site... have a look at the bottom of the page to see what it was before resto :-) [scares me even now]

once it's registered I'm gonna get some good ones. [and once my exams are over!]

Think I might give GIO a call, have got a couple of places set to contact me. wanting to insure for around 15-20k...but might be dreaming.

Huw

My car isn't on the road atm so I only have 3rd party with NRMA, but I think there will only be a couple that will, being 22 and having a 200+rwkw (very soon) 28 year old car. I got a quote from Just cars, they want about $1300 a year and only insured for $9000 from memory, but im gonna keep looking.

hmmm i'll try to find your cardomain site then! (dam i'm an idiot, i just saw a link in ur signiture!!! dont know how i missed it before)

i called just cars when i first got my car, so i was nearly 19, and they wanted $2500 as a $5000 car...

i'm interested to know how far modification wise you can go with the gio policy, so i might call them sometime and find out

zedevan...Just got of the phone to all the insurers (Vigil, GIO, RACV, etc etc etc)...When i spoke to GIO they said that they couldn't insure someone under 25 with a 240Z because it was classed as High performance (power/weight)....how'd u get around it?

I've only been able to get a decent quote from Shannons and Vigil, Vigil was very helpful. The rest gave me b....s.... quotes of between 4-5k as maximum value!

Huw

hmmm well mine's a 260z so i guess there's proof it aint as sporty? hehe

nah um i think gav has his insured through gio aswell, mayb call again and see if you get a different person and what they say? you could always try to get a quote online and see what it says? i just tried their normal "Get a quote" option and they yrs dont go past 1976...so i'm not sure if the classic insurance has a completely different name etc?

Huw,

Have a look at Unique Car Insurance, they deal in classics.

I am insured with Unique and have been for 6 years no problem. 20k full comprehensive premium $500 p/year.

I was with Shannons long ago and vow never to go back! Things may have changed since then however i will never insure anything with them again.

I am older than you and have a limited k's clause. If you are young, be prepared to pay a lot more and have a higher excess etc.

Good luck!!

Nigel

• 2 months later...

Generally Vigil are cheaper than Shannons. I was not happy with Shannons when I approached them a few months back. They wouldn't even see me because I had "a few" speeding fines" but no accidents in 20 years, over 40 years of age, member of Cams and NDSOC for over 10 years. Sort of makes a mockery of all their ads. Was not impressed that they wouldn't even talk to me. Anyway I found someone cheaper and better to suit my needs.

• 3 months later...

Up in QLD I had Suncorp-Metway take care of me with my 240Z. It was about $400 a year for comprehensive. Very nice!

I am with Shannon's now with this car. Sorry to hear of all the negative experiences but mine was excellent. I was 21 when I got insured and after explaining my car and my passion to them they were happy to insure me. Under $1000 a year for comprehensive with a $15,000 value.

I'd recommend them...

21 y.o. male with an minor claim on my insurance history....Shannons happily insured me for 20k comprehensive on my zed for just over 1k...and they actually seemed to like the car and be interested which makes it even better.

I'd recommend them without hesitation.

Huw

Has anyone actually had to claim with any of these insurance mobs?

I had a friend that had to claim on his 260z and he was with suncorp, they didn't want to fix it they just wrote it off. He got to salvage ofcourse but yeh was kinda bummed about the whole recommended repairers (which never happened) and the fact that they do market value, not an agreed value. from memory he got only $5500. They use glasses guide.

• 2 months later...

hmmm is suncorp GIO? well vice versa? i just got my insurance renewal form from GIO and i would recommend anyone who isn't with them to atleast check them out

i have no idea how the policy works from their point of view, with the amount i'd have for excess taken off, it would take me 102.6 yrs (up from around 30 or so, which still is dam reasonable) for me to pay off the pay out i'd get for the agreed value of my car from paying the yearly rate i'm now, if that makes sense lol. and they've told me twice that if its engineered they dont care whats done to it, although i know i need to get this in writing, which is hard without a full time fax i guess, or do they email nowadays?

• Administrators

I'm with GIO I have vintage insurance and agreed value with option to salvage. I've got mine insured for $12,000 possibly more can't recall now. I think I should bump it up though.

I told them about the exhaust system, recaro's and superlites. They didn't mind about any of that.

As long as your car is in good condition and doesn't have massive rust or damage.

yeah mine is insured for that now after they agreed to cover the rims and tyres for a nice sum :D however the bit i dont get is the amount they want me to pay for it this year...1/102th of that amount!

however on the peice of paper that has information on my car it says its both not being restored, and being restored, which makes no sense at all, so i'll call them sometime, hopefully i talk to someone nice :D so far i've called them about 5 times and only once was the chick...not nice

• 9 months later...

I know mine is a weekend warrior, but Shannons inspected the mods and the engineers cert. and we agreed on a value.

Not many insurance companies will touch a modified car.

I called JUSTCARS and the 260z wasnt even on their database.

She assumed it was a grey import.

Go with Shannons.

Grae

I have all my cars (15) covered under what they call a Stable policy, with Vigil. Those of you in Victoria will recall the torrential downpour on December 19. Well, photos of my 260 are below - one of 7 I have in this lock-up. You can see on the side of the car how high the water was. The inside just shows all the silt and muck that came inside and the residue left behind. I haven't tried starting it yet as the fluids have not been changed - engine, gearbox and diff, but when they are, which will hopefully be this week, I will see if there are any problems. I advised Vigil and sent them claim forms, and said that IF there is nothing other than cosmetic damage, the value of the claim would unlikely exceed $5,000 for all the cars. Their response ?

"If you want to get professionals in we will cover the cost under your policy.  Just have them invoice us directly.  They will need to do a separate invoice for each car.

The value isn’t significant at the moment. 

If you can maintain records of costs and have invoices provided for work carried out that is basically all we need".

I couldn't ask for better service than that. I will do as they say and maintain records and submit a final claim once I know that everything is OK.

DSCF0088.jpg

DSCF0090.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

DSCF0096.jpg