Farm Fresh Rescue

chris240

Hi Chris,

Amazing that is not just a pile of rust after sitting outside ?

What sort of plans to you have in mind ?

Cheers

PB

It maybe that if the car is away from the sea air (not in a coastal area) it does not degrade quickly and being outside is not as bad as one thinks.. Probably most Z cars ended up in Aus capital cities and therefore (other than Canberra) were driven/parked in a coastal zone. My 260z has spent the last 40 years never being garaged but usually in a small a carport with a dirt floor!

On a farm just near Canberra, parked for 10 years in a shed , then moved out under tarps for the last 6 months.

Current plan is to stare at it, Ponder life and tell the wife how much I love her....

Its a 1/76. Heaps of parts, still need to pick up the L26. I cant believe everyone missed it when it was posted.

• Administrators

Whenever I drive from Sydney -> Melbourne I often see paddocks with abandoned cars in them and wonder if an s30z or some other old Datsun like a 240k is in amongst them.

I like seeing farm finds like these and love the photos of it leaving the farm. It tells the story.

Canberra is the place to find them with little rust. ????.

It looks like it could be an early 76 based on VIN.

Where was it posted Gumtree?

• Administrators

On a farm just near Canberra, parked for 10 years in a shed , then moved out under tarps for the last 6 months.

Current plan is to stare at it, Ponder life and tell the wife how much I love her....

Its a 1/76. Heaps of parts, still need to pick up the L26. I cant believe everyone missed it when it was posted.

I think if you take the long term view, realise there is no rush to get it done, since you already have a 240z you can drive and just approach it from a patient perspective you'll be fine.

• Moderators

Whenever I drive from Sydney -> Melbourne I often see paddocks with abandoned cars in them and wonder if an s30z or some other old Datsun like a 240k is in amongst them.

Throw some binocculars in the car then you can have a closer look for farm finds.

Wow chris240 well done, great find, glad its going to a good home. Good luck with your parts searching, use the forum if you get stuck we all have a stash of some kind.

You said you have to pick up the engine. is it the original, thinking 1/76 then it should be in a range from about L26-1426XX - L26- 1442XX, I would be interested to know the full serial as there is a lot of variation in delivery for the RS30 in that time frame.

Also I noted in the pictures the enlarged holes on the Quarter window interior trim panels indicating you have the capture wires. These attach vertically on the FWD edge of the Quarter widow interior trim panel  in the line from the inertia real to the FWD floor attach point as a guide for the seat belts. Did you find both seat belts/ inertial reals. If so do they have twisted wire look or a straight wire look if you have them it is easy to see as the wire reaches the end attach plates. One type has a wist in this area . I am very interested what you have as it informs change over points for the two wires on AUS delivered RS30.

Cheers Steve  

Gav, its a January 76. The ad wasn't on gumtree it was posted , from memory uuuuuum on some datto website called viczcar.com.... (Queue dramatic music!)

Steve, unfortunately its not the original L26, its no. L26-086906. Ive got the seats, albeit ratty. The belts are still there waiting for me to pick up.

Edited by chris240

Chris 240, that is a shame. Unfortunately but very common. 

Thanks for the info L26-086906 is a little older than the RS30 you have, it is from about 05/74 and on numbers is probably from another RS30 or GRS30.

What was the engine number on the data plate for that RS30, that will also inform on the difference and give us an idea how much older the L26 is based on sequence. 

I hope both belts are there I will hold my breath on that one. The Seat belts as are on the AUS RS30 are a rare item and I am hoping you do not have to chase one. 

Cheers  Steve