Gordo

Gordo takes over the Peter Mac Build.

Peter had the exhaust going out through the front wheel arch where the battery would go. Through the passenger foot space and out the lower sill under the door. ( for his FJ turbo motor)

So I've repaird all of this back to standard. Patching the holes etc.

post-2078-144023797638_thumb.jpg

post-2078-144023797647_thumb.jpg

The zed was also fitted with a BMW powersteering hydrolic type. It needed an extra pulley and to mount the external pump on a bracket . I didn't want to go this way. Talking with Peter made sense . The steering would be way to heavy with out power assist. So I went for an electric setup supplied by Les Collins Racing. Custom fit.

post-2078-144023797705_thumb.jpg

The zed needed a dash. No fancy stuff hear. Just wanted to go with what I had lying around the shed.  Stock Taco and gauges. And I also went with a air fuel meter. I had a plastic dash cover that I'd use as the top cover.

So putting the carpentry skills to work I cut out some mdf. ( ply) to shape.. As a starting point. Then useing as a template I cut the ally into shape. I didn't need a tunell cover but wanted to cover the battery cable and make it clean looking. The console was also made from mdf before cutting and folding.

post-2078-144023797831_thumb.jpg

The seat position was a bit cramped. Being a little over 6ft tall. The peddels where nearly 100mm further forward with the new peddel box. First thing was to mount the seat on runners and back as far as it would go. Against the rollcage. The peddel box was the next thing to move back. I cut out behind the peddel box into the fire wall and got about 45mm. Now the seating position was better. Not as comfortable as the red zed. But still functional .

post-2078-144023797867_thumb.jpg

Love seeing the updates and progress on this Gordo. Any idea on what the weight will be when it's finished? Are you going to run full slicks or semi's?

Thanks Gareth. The weight of the car should come in lighter than the red zed. But buy how much, we will have to wait and see. Even though its got light weight panels and plastic windows. There are a few added extras.

The cars got 17x300  full slicks, about 3 years old. I will be giving these a run.

As the bonnet is fiberglass  I would have to pin it down. Having been to many a race meeting and seeing guys take there bonnets off for scrutineering, leaning them on the car or even putting them on the roof. On a windy day this is not so good. I decided to use the factory hinges with out the spring, but use the bonnet stay. (Prop) then tying the back with bonnet pins.having don that I used 4 pins on the rear fiberglass hatch. Could not hinge the rear as the wing was there!  I wired up the rear lights and used the factory brake switch on the peddel box.

The rear wing was sitting to low, un like all the GT cars where the wing is about roof height. So I made up some longer supports and also hanging over the back of the car a bit more.

post-2078-144023797953_thumb.jpg

It was time to set up the suspension . Now I had the rear control arms sorted . The spring rates where determined buy asking lots of racing people and the experiences . A ball park starting point was set at 500lb front and 350lb rears. As the Arozona kit came with 350lb all round, I just had to put the 500s in the front. As the motor was not in the car, ride heights and final adjustment would be done further down the track. The zed would be running 300mm slicks and weighing about 1000kg and putting 300hp out at the fly wheel. And don't forget the aero downforce.

post-2078-144023797974_thumb.jpg

Good job Gordo. Are you doing the work as you update the thread or has it been done before?? Your progress puts all of us to shame! This thing will be very cool.

Good job Gordo. Are you doing the work as you update the thread or has it been done before?? Your progress puts all of us to shame! This thing will be very cool.

Yer the car is well advanced now.      "But it will never be Finished !"

So as the build continued, I'd walk out to the shed and find myself just looking at the car. Not knowing what to do next! With so many lose ends it was hard to focus and finish thing off. As some things need to be done in order.

So lots of stuff started but not finished.

The Arozona suspension is set up for 65mm inside dia springs. All my other cars run on 63 or62mm  inside diam. So I had the collars machined to accommodate the other springs which would give me a large range to choose from.

I reinforced the seat mounts , and moved the standard foot rest forward about 50mm to match the new peddel box position.

When the powersteering was set up I moved the steering wheel further away to give me some more arm room, remember with the peddels about 70mm closer to the seat things where tight. I even moved the steering wheel higher to give a bit more knee room. Once I had fitted all this I found the dash a little to close to the steering wheel.  So I changed the dash mounting brackets and moved it back about 20mm.

The battery was fitted behind where the passenger seat would be and some more wiring was started.

Dash gauges where fitted and console switches added.

post-2078-144023798019_thumb.jpg