240z / 260z replacement engine bay & Floor rails, Now available S.A.

nat0_240_chevZ

Hi all,

I Have some high strength steel im making some of my own chassis rails in the engine bay, (finish where the floor rail covers it near the TC rod Bracket, bottom of firewall)

from firewall to rad support, direct factory replacements from slightly heavier gauge steel, and still of high strength.

these units have all the holes say a 240z and earlier 260z 2 seater have, including holes for the splash tray, sway bar, tow hooks and engine cross member.

these will require the skills of a panelbeater or LURCH to install, but are made for the utmost purist, as they have been designed with originality in mind, not like some others available from USA.

I only have pics of my preliminary rails thus far, more pics will be up in the next week or so, will keep posted, but for now, see attached,

also note they include the tappered down area near the radiator as per stock rails, remember these are to try and be as close to std spec as possible,

also includes original JIG/tooling holes for measurment and positioning.

pricing is solely dependant on demand, if I make 5 lh and 5 rh then dont expect any more, unless tabco want to buy/distrubute them.....

These rails DO require the re-use of?

- existing TC/Castor rod brackets

- Floor rails unless you  need  these too.

- inner skirt & strut tower (inner wheel fender/guard)

I am/will be using these on my car/s, for race / events etc, and since wittnessing the stock rails support, is mandatory as far as i see,

these will be manufactured using CNC equipment and every rail WILL be the same.

any Q's

please ask, but dont bother me with a stack of questions if you do not intend to buy or are genuinley not interested.

apologies for those whom are inquisitive by nature,

only offering these, as I NEED them myself, only fair to see if I can help out others.

Now please also consider that this Higher strength steel is expensive, so youre not buying cheap off the shelf folded section with no strength.

Have material certs available if you are interested.

nat0

post-283-144023695877_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023695893_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023695908_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023695924_thumb.jpg

more pics of fitment,

not something you want to install yourself, but by all means any competent panel beater or restorer can easilly install.

Pricing not yet fixed although from estimating mat'l cost along with laser cutting, Pressing, Welding /finishing and fastener installations etc

If I get 5 pairs (or 10 individuals) or so, bill in bulk for time spent on them,

price per rail will be $ POA each,

rails will include nuts and re-inforcing plates similar or same as the factory items.

These rails are bloody strong even with out the other half attached, unlike my stock rails I am able to bend/flex them with muscle only.

Under floor rails are also available

Have 1 pair available now 5/11/2012, ex Adelaide.

Postage cost wholly & solely at buyers expense, happy for group buy or similar.

Any questions please contact me either PM or email, can offer mobile contact details after contact is made.

get them now, as they may/will not always be available.

these things take a while to make,

appreciate any feedback or special requests.

cheers Nat0

post-283-144023695961_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023695978_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023695995_thumb.jpg

Edited by nat0_240_chevZ

Very nice.  Would be keen on a pair (L+R). 

Any plans for a matching lower radiator support?

funny you mention,

I will be making one at some stage, depending how i go salvaging 1 out of 3 mediochre ones,

but I have already begun development of the lower rad support as it is a pretty common flaw, ie frontal impact of any sorts.......

It will be a 2 piece unit, similar to as the factory ones, currently working on ideas to replicate the basic tooling to give the pressed/rolled edges to the large slots on the 240z item.

260z lower rad sup't is significantly lower, in height offset, but it would not be too much extra work to get this extra offset.

Watch this space......

Hi Munters, no not anticipating to have to make this from scratch, although it is a very important item on the Z front end, best sourced from a donor car I feel,

If it is the RHS one your after, I may have a suitable 260z 2+2 item I coul un-pick, but seeing your location, it would be best to source one locally.

I could make something similar, but it would not look the same as it would be quite square and boxy looking, but you never know whats around the corner.

this piece you are after is also a relatively high strength material also, as its a bitch to panel beat, I do have some 0.9mm G450 sheet id doubt id be able to form these 3d shapes,

cheers for the request none the less.... maybe if you bought a pair of rails, then postage of a secends fender might not be too bad??

Hi Guys, looking to run these and have completed by end of this week,

Please, please please, let me know and ill send you the details if you are serious,

Finding parts like this will be few and far between, I do hope this gets out for all to read,

MODS, please re-post in FOR SALE section if at all possible??

Re-inforcement parts are done with all high tensile nuts etc,

Anyone have any last request or any interest, as I can not guarantee these will come up again,

unless a bulk/group buy order is brought together by you guys yourselves or otherwise hybridz or classicZcar ???

Get the word out or curse me forever,

cheers Nathan

Edited by nat0_240_chevZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it still possible to get a set of early 74 260z chassis rails in engine bay made up?

Is it also possible to get a complete front rad support made up also/ including front cross member?

Desperately in need of one. My car's front end is only where the rust is and this is my last option.

Please help?

regards Napes94

How are the full length under floor rails coming along? I like the Bad Dog rails but as always, shipping from the states is a killer...

almost there, working on them now, had a lil hicup with some older ones, almost there.......

the mockup rear connectors fit both my 240's well,

I just had a change of heart due to ease of installation and effectivenes, on some areas which were a PITA to actually manufacture.

hope to have pics and trial fit pics up by about australia day...

nat0

I love enterprise, if they are a good product at the right price they will sell. S30's are going to be around for a long time, as they get scarcer and more expensive these sorts of items will be in increasing demand.

Any plans for a matching lower radiator support?

Ditto I'd be keen for one of those should you get to it, my early 260 is the same as the 240 one. Mine's dented & out of shape so I'd rather replace it entirely rather than fix it. And I wouldn't be too fussy about the exact shape of the slots at the back, either, they're mostly covered by the radiator.

Good stuff, i'll be after a set for sure. Will the ID of your rails allow welding over the existing rails or will the originals need to be removed?

Hi bud, currently they are to suit total replacement(remove and replace)

however I can widen the rail to facilitate a 'CAP' type install, although you are just creating a safe haveven for rust to tear through the new ones,

OK yes you will probably get another 5-15 or so years out of these ones, possibly more depending on moisture and exposure,

My recommendation is replace completely, old rails are usually squashed an bashed about a bit anyway so fitment would not be an IDEAL slip on/over the old ones. A BFH will be req'd

Youd be suprised what lurks inside your existing rails or box sections, thats if there is anything left.

260z rails are different and alot taller / deeper, although ultimately would be another Type/model ill have to finish developing for sale, not a massive problem but valuble time none the less.

As I dont have a 260z, im not (wasn't planning on) venturing down this track, but hey i could be swayed....

All of these items are or going to be available because I NEED them myself,

OK i may end up with quite of developed replacement/upgrade and or performane products

they may not always be available. but i do have/own and will always have access to the IP for this stuff.

But wait till brakes, control arms, fuel tank, and other suspension goodies are my main area of concern. more bits to come....

Nat0

I agree, removing the rails completely would be best, mine look ok on the outside but on further inspection (when i was patching the floor on the weekend), the inside of the rails is full of surface rust. So i can imagine all that surface rust juice dripping down onto the new rails  :o

ok, about australia day now and im pretty much done with development of the rear connector area of the floor support rails.

Need to get the pics off my phone and i will post up the mocked install,

not completely finished or anthing as these are only mock/trial fit sections, luckily to be 1 foot long at best, but adding the floor rail and firewall section onto them is straight forward.

Need to tidy up this detail and then we are all go.

Watch for pics in the next day or so.

nat0

some teaser pics of the rear floor rail -> rear subframe connectors,

still have 1 or 2 more tweaks, but what you see will ultimately be what they will finish up like.

the area around the radius on the floor will be filled in and main joint/edge visible will be welded and finished to look like a bend.

no holes will be added, i would suggest to mig stitchweld these on for ease of installation.

This is ONLY the rear section shown, my floor rails will have this included on the rear part of the 'Full length' floor rails,

from what you see->the back of the TC rod mount.

any q's let me know.

nat0

post-283-144023706978_thumb.jpg

post-283-14402370699_thumb.jpg

post-283-144023706999_thumb.jpg