Roberto's PMC enhanced 260Z

With all the mods I have been doing of late, I thought I would start a project page of my own.

Peter MC has commenced building me a good strong torquey L28 with triple 40mm mikuni's from Simon's engine (Luvemfast).  Post away pics as often as you like Peter  ;D  The engine wiill have 88mm forged flattop pistons from SPS, Spool rods, NOS crank, High lift 72 degree wade cam, CNC ported E88 head from SW for 10.5:1 CR.  Still awaiting a response from nismo and stahl for header prices with postage to Aus.

I am also about to finally fit my ZG flares and watanabes from BenZed to the car.  I really wanted black ones (dark gunmetal) with polished lip, but this is a special order item and because of the earthquake in Japan, I would have to wait an eternity to get them.  So my choices were silver with polished lip or gunmetal black.

Tempted into purchasing them by Bens April special price I bought the silver with polished lip and then proceeded to paint them satin black, carefully masking around the lip to get a nice sharp finish.  See pics below....

post-1856-144023626107_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626112_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626118_thumb.jpg

Thanks.  16x9.5 (-19) rear and 16x9 (-13) front. 

I was going to go gunmetal like the factory watanabe black, but thought satin black would be more unique.  I will know if I made the right choice when on the car.....

Other things that have kept me busy in the last 6-12 months with my car have been a complete suspension rebuild (PU everywhere, front and rear camber kits, strut braces, kings, tokico adjustables, heavy duty front and rear sway bars, adjustable rear control arms and sectioned struts to avoid bottoming out), new front spoiler and addition of rear spoiler, retro-fitting late 260Z style bonnet vents, clear turn signal lenses, headlight covers, fairlady grill, 3 core aluminium radiator, new carpets, ron tyler diff mount with bump stop to replace diff strap and new Bride Digo seats with Bride rails.

Once the new engine and new wheels are on, I really need to stop spending $$$ on enhancements and then just more on restoring like new rubbers, dash cracks etc.  As you all know, it is never really over......

post-1856-144023626123_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626128_thumb.jpg

Looks great mate, are those Bride's as comfy as they look? I like the new front spoiler, is it urethane?

Well said Bruce..... I'll second that, you'll be amazed when you get that fresh motor in. Peter's work is second to none.

Hey Gareth, the front spoiler is just fiberglass.  The seats are nice and solid.  I am not sure comfy is the best way to describe them. They hug around and give good support, but there are more plush seats out there.  These are a definitely a sport seat.  See better pic below.

Thanks guys for your comments.  I am sure that the engine will sing nicely.  Can't wait  :P

post-1856-144023626169_thumb.jpg

Lots of damage RB30X.  :(

$1150 per seat. $350 per bracket.

The upside is that the auto store (Car Toys) guaranteed them to fit when I ordered them or they would refund my deposit since this was a concern for me.  They would only do this guarantee if I used the Bride rails otherwise I would have just modified the standard rails. They sit at roughly the same height as standard seats, which is ok for me.  I fitted them myself.  It was relatively easy.

Mick, I may need some valium to get me through it all  ???

Well, saturday was flare installation day.  I thank Mick for bringing his grinder and mig welder to my house for task.  ;)

First step was masking to protect paint and mounting the flares with metal screws for test fit and to mark the position with a texta.  I did this the night before to save time.

post-1856-144023626891_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626895_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626901_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626906_thumb.jpg

Then cover car well, mark out another line 1 inch below flare line, drill out holes to a size to match nut inserts and insert nut inserts.  Mick had modified a pop rivet gun to work on nut inserts.  Genius.

Then cut away......

post-1856-144023626911_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626917_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626922_thumb.jpg

post-1856-144023626927_thumb.jpg

That was the day with the hard work all done.  :)

Left to do is paint the flares (satin black), paint/seal the cut metal and get some rubber welting to go inbetween the flares and the guards.  I will post pics when all complete......

Well done mate, must have been nervous cutting into precious metal like that. ;)

I would be burnt really badly the next day if I welded without a long shirt/jacket. How are you feeling?

Then again, it was just little tack welds with pretty thin metal/low current.

Well done mate, must have been nervous cutting into precious metal like that. ;)

I would be burnt really badly the next day if I welded without a long shirt/jacket. How are you feeling?

Then again, it was just little tack welds with pretty thin metal/low current.

I am used to it mate ;D I weld every day like that. In fact i got burned worse once while wearing a jumper because my sleeve caught on fire haha.

Good right up roberto. Perhaps this should be put up as a sticky in its own thred for a tutorial  ;)