Jump to content

PeterH

Members
  • Posts

    258
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    5

Everything posted by PeterH

  1. Yes Shaun 240......I'd say that's the one..... it was white and I'm sure it was auto...and I recall the number being very close to mine.... past travel companions on the production line and on the boat most likely....
  2. Another number that is in the original service book for my car is listed as " car number" .... I'm guessing that it's a stock number....perhaps that would make more sense chronologically....( I doubt that many current owners would have that ) .. when bought my original 240Z in early 1973 I was asked to take it back to the dealer to correct an error in their records (and it's only 40 something years ago ) but I'm sure it was the " car number" and it was written in marking pen on the inner guard... yep Chris..... my car is obviously faster than yours...... will you turn on all the heaters in Canberra please??? I'll be down there again next week...
  3. Bingo...well sort of almost.....I can claim103779 but I have seen a later one advertised on car sales......I think it was late last year and in Qld. According to the original service book ,it was delivered on 10/10/1973 through Straightway Motors in Cheltenham, and to the best of my knowledge had only one registered owner in it's life.
  4. Yes Peter...they were OEM...its only 42 years since I bought my first 240Z and they came with the black plastic, hex spacers.....Eight per seat.. Part number 86511-E4100.......how's that for life changing information?
  5. Thanks for that cheers Pete
  6. Thanks for that .....yeah I know how they work....just wondering when they were introduced.....I've seen a gear box that is claimed to be out of a 280ZX but without the " bolt in cup " could it be an early 280ZX or just a ring in??
  7. Hi Can any one tell me if all 280ZX manual transmissions had the reverse lock out ? if not ...any idea when the change occurred? Pete
  8. Me again....just reading back through the thread about the carbs...... the original Datsun S30 RHD parts catalogue lists the 4screw carbs as being fitted up to August 1971 and the 3 screw from September 1971 to August 1973...doesnt seem to make sense with that cut off period but that's what is in writing.
  9. Hi Gav I didn't read the all thread here in detail but with regard the original 240Z jeco clock...all the 240Z's that I looked at , including the one that I bought , came with the comment " the clock keeps it's own time " or similar...I took the clock to my local instrument repairer and asked about fitting it with a quartz movement and his advice was to have the existing clock cleaned and checked...... They did all the instruments ...clean and check for calibration...my car is in bits......( bet you've never heard that before ).....so I ran the clock for a few days from the power supply of a cetec charger and it kept time for that period I guess time will tell when the car is back together and running. Pete
  10. It was about 1975....the coversion was done by Bowen Designs in Brookvale....I'm sure Peter Allen will remember them......I knew some one who worked there at the time and it was with his invitation that I saw the car...... it was around Edgecliff some where and was displayed in a car park ( garage) under an old apartment building.... the garage had a wooden turntable which was used to park the cars in the less than spacious garage and the 2000GT was parked on the turntable. The workmanship was excellent and the car looked imaculate.... from memory it was a lightish metalic green.... may have been resprayed and may not have been an original colour. I was in the Bowen workshop not long after that and saw the twim cam engine sitting in a corner...I wonder where that is now. There must be some one else who knows about the car......
  11. I saw a 2000GT in Sydney in the mid 1970's that the owner had converted to a P76 V8....... he thought it was great!!!!! wonder how he feels now!
  12. No free stuff here...just a period photo of my old car fitted period type wheels...for what it matters they were 14 X 6 with 205 70 R14 Klebers Would be intersting to see the manufacturing date on them..I threw the last one out a few years ago when I cleaned out my mothers palce... this photo was taken about 1974 / 1975.......
  13. Thanks for the replies..... Thanks Ian but Illawarra is a bit out of the way for me on this trip....dat240Z ....the dynamatting might hide what I'm looking for, but I am interested in how well it works....Thanks Peter..... you've been a help in the past...and I have been in touch with Derek..... Chris...how much beer do you drink?
  14. Hi I need to have a look at the original detail ( floor panel pressings ) in the rear luggage area of a late 240Z ...the model with the tool box lids. I dont know of any late model cars in my area ( Northern NSW ) and I'll be in Canberra for a week starting February 9. If someone ther has a car that I can have a look at It would be very most appreciated. Cheers Peter
  15. Good luck with the centre caps...I've been looking for quite a while....as for the door trims...I bought a new pair from Warren Potter at allzparts a couple of years ago...don't know if he has any more there..they were between $350 and $400 each from memory. You could also try Mike McGinnis at Banzai Motorworks in the US. Has has on his website, door skins that go over your existing door cards. I've bought parts from him and found him very co operative to deal with although I think he was a bit limited with payment methods. http://zzxdatsun.com/catSoftTrim.php Good luck Pete
  16. I deal with MSA...they are still very much in operation...I had dealt with a saleman ...Aaron Sarkin.... until he left the company recently......I suspect that they mey be a bit short staffed in the sales area..I needed ( wanted ) some parts recently and as I was away from home ....I rang them and spoke to James..... a paypal invoice was emailed the next day and the parts were here in a week....via USPS with tracking...that order was only about $ 100...the phone call only cost a few dollars......I've found that better than emials at the moment..... I hope your orders work out well...... I've found them excellent to deal with over the last two years Pete
  17. does any one know if the gearknob in that photo is from a 240K?? I have one the same......it was sold to me in a batch of second hand parts for my 240Z and the seller later argued that it was the correct knob for a 240Z.... nothing like the one in the 240Z that I bought new in 1973..
  18. thanks for that......I'd like to make it very clear that the product is eveything it claims to be..excellent.....my friend contacted the supplier here but didnt get the reply about the miss labelling.....
  19. I bought the KBS satin black but when I applied it, it was more liike gloss......a friend here had the same experience .....has any one else used it??
  20. PeterH

    Clutch pedalstop

    Derek would have grumbled....Frank might have done anything..... shrug of the shoulders to something more prolific....would you like a new rubber for your pedal pad????it might not be too hard for me to organise....if i do it soon...
  21. PeterH

    Clutch pedalstop

    Wow..thanks Peter...... and the position matches the cut out in my fire wall insulator as well. to PB260Z I wonder the same thing...as 260COUPE posted it would be easy s to put something in there thats does the job. Peter...since you've gone to so much trouble can ask you for one more thing? I've attached a quick drawing that I did...the front face appears to be on an angle...can you give dimensions A & B to help get that part right... I'm not planning on taking another two years...fingers crossed..... although I'm sure you've heard it before " since I retired I don't know when I had time to go to work" Thanks Pete
  22. PeterH

    Clutch pedalstop

    Thanks for the replies...that's what I was hoping to see. The car is on it's way to a complete strip so welding one in place won't be a problem. Pete
  23. Hi All Can someone help me with a bit of information. My car is a late 1973 ( Sept compliance plate) It's originally auto but will be converted to manual when its rebuilt. I've read the thread here on the conversion and its been a huge help. I thought that I had everything that I needed until I bought some parts from Steve, at http://www.240zrubberparts.com/, There I saw the clutch pedal stop rubber and became aware of it. If someone has a 1973 original manual car, could they tell me if it has the pedal stop? My car has a cut out in the fire wall insulator that looks to be in the right place. It won't be a problem to make one and fit it to the car, but I'd like to make sure that this model had it before I do. Thanks Pete
  24. Thanks for that......the left side door had been replaced so it looks like the right side lock may been correct for a late 1973 car.
  25. I hope someone can help me this. My car is 1973 model....one registered owner in it's life. The door lock mechanisms in the attached photo show different springs in the mechanism. I know the car was damaged and repaired a few times so complete doors etc may have been changed. Can any one tell which type is correct for that car and if any one has good used lock mechanisms they would sell I'be interested. Pete
×
×
  • Create New...