New Rust Repair Project '67 Mustang Fastback

Nice going Scoota,

The repro panels are one thing but actually getting stuck into it and achieving a result is totally another, hat off to you.

Read somewhere in a mag I have laying around that a company recently spent $250K getting all the XY panels reproduced, you can now build a shell from scratch, pity someone couldn't do the same with the S20, wonder if Nissan still has the dies sitting around ? :-\

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey John these should give you a giggle, and Lurch thought i took dales car back a fair bit on the Driver's Side. This camel's back is getting broken.

I've really learned so much since joining this club, so cheers fellas.

post-762-14402363138_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023631389_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023631396_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023631403_thumb.jpg

Hey John these should give you a giggle, and Lurch thought i took dales car back a fair bit on the Driver's Side. This camel's back is getting broken.

I've really learned so much since joining this club, so cheers fellas.

OK, so how much of this car will actually be original after you finish? LMAO

But on a serious note, structurally this car had the rigidity of Swiss cheese by the looks of it, did the owner realise just how far gone it was and that it was being held together at the pan by a coffee can, tire outlet placard and street sign?

Should last 3 of its lifetimes now Scoota, well done.

did the owner realise just how far gone it was and that it was being held together at the pan by a coffee can, tire outlet placard and street sign?

The owner was aware of the floorpan rust but not the cowl rust.

Wow, good work mate, I'll give you a call this arvo, if you're around tonight I might drop by on way home to have a look  :)

Yea would be good to see you Rob, i'll be here.

nice work scoota

good to see ,are you painting it as well . look like a fun project

I'll be applying a coat of POR 15, seam sealer, chassis sealant and body deadener to all the bits i replace but funny enough the body is in a lot better condition cosmetically.

I think the most fun or satisfying part is the comparision pictures.

post-762-144023631513_thumb.jpg

post-762-14402363152_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023631528_thumb.jpg

looks like it almost needs to be blasted!! Are you going to clean up the other stuff or leave it??

Drivers side still has to receive torque box, rail and floorpan. Owner is coming over on the weekend to work on the inner gaurds.

• 2 weeks later...

With some repairs to the bumper mounts and a few other pieces it was time to move onto the Driver's Side Rail and Torque Box removal and replacement.

At this stage i'm ready to refit the mechanicals and front panels.

post-762-144023633303_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633307_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633313_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633319_thumb.jpg

You're doing a great job of it; am following your progress with interest, as this car has far more rust than the original pictures let on.

I was lucky with my '67 FB being almost rust-free, but the '67 CV I owned previously required as much work as you're doing so I can very much appreciate what you've taken on.

You may already be on to this, but FWIW a good idea with the '67s is to add a torquebox to the passenger (RH) side as well, as only the CVs had both sides until sometime in '68 when pair torqueboxes were installed to all 3 body styles to stiffen things up. That's what I did with my FB anyway. Actually the '68 cars' torqueboxes also have an angle gusset in the corner with the framerail; in hindsight I probably should have fabricated some for my car; certainly the whole front clip is not what I'd call heavy-duty so needs all the help it can get.

Good job; keep us posted, most interesting thread.

I started a facebook page with a bunch more pics.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/1967-Fastback-Mustang-repairrebuild-Christang/231505116875730

If you have access check it out.

This has by far been the most difficult project i have ever taken on but i have discovered so many little tricks which far out weigh any pain. I think i'm at about 150 Hours and i want to finish it before 200 Hours.

I know i've said it before but one of the things that keeps me motivated is the feedback i get from others, so cheers guys ;) .  Can't wait to finish this one as i'm off to Poland mid August and it has to be completed by then.

More Pics  ;D

post-762-144023633349_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633356_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633362_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633369_thumb.jpg

If i ever get around to finishing my other 240z I know I've got you and Lurch to choose from ;D

I probably would prefer if you said Lurch or Scoota (to save me locking horns with the Bear :P ) but yea here we are and the Driver's side floorpan is fitted and i even got to use my special Aircraft Technology "cleco" panel holders which do work very well.

Another day or two welding and i'll piece her back together, it's been fun sharing it with you guys and girl.

post-762-144023633602_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633916_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633925_thumb.jpg

post-762-144023633931_thumb.jpg

Ahh yes the comparison shot.

This may be a stupid question.

Do you weld all the way along the seems or just leave them as welds every couple of inches  :P

Thanks

Matt