Classic Car Values - Restomod vs Originality

vosadrian

Interesting reading what everyone has to say about this subject.

I'm old enough to have seen the 240Z released way back when!

Throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's nearly all who owned a Z car modified them in some way. It's just what happened unfortunately. If only we knew back then what was to come lol

I actually owned a 240ZG replica back in the mid 90's.  It had a few mods to say the least. Still wish I had it. 

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a tastefully modified 240/260Z or even a 280ZX.

There's something about a brake upgrade, lsd, close ratio gearbox, triple webers or even fuel injection that appeals to me still today.

I'll even go as far as saying air con and power steering wouldn't be a bad thing. But you get that already with a 280ZX!

As far as engines go, I've always been a fan of the L series in all its configurations.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:52 AM, gav240z said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CWpNHpTl4-0/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

This is a new recast L6 head that will apparently flow really well and address some of the original head design flaws, in terms of combustion chamber shape, coolant gallery flow and port design.

Price is about $6-7k I believe but you'd spend that + more on porting and prepping an old head anyway.

I believe it's run an 11 second 1/4 mile on its first outing.

Price is more like $10k - perhaps slightly less with the Yen collapsing at the moment. Very cool thing

EDIT: First production run is already sold out also.

Edited by cracker

• 1 month later...

If you’re not buying fertile land or investing in metals, you should be accumulating old Z’s - any condition, but make sure you have at least one that can outrun zombies ;) 

But, I find this topic hard to gauge as there’s limited historical information and I’m repeatedly filtering-out owners with speculative opinions - as we know, the Zed community can at times be a little biased, haha. Only way to ascertain the value and scope the overall trend of this market is to compare historical sales of vehicles - most important are sale prices through a recession or stagnating economy - such as the one we’re currently experiencing. 

I recently saw a roughly modified red Zed come up on Gumtree which was priced around $40k (I think), and is no longer available. So assuming this example sold, it would appear the market would be plateauing slightly? 

Edited by Balinski

19 hours ago, Balinski said:

If you’re not buying fertile land or investing in metals, you should be accumulating old Z’s - any condition, but make sure you have at least one that can outrun zombies ;) 

But, I find this topic hard to gauge as there’s limited historical information and I’m repeatedly filtering-out owners with speculative opinions - as we know, the Zed community can at times be a little biased, haha. Only way to ascertain the value and scope the overall trend of this market is to compare historical sales of vehicles - most important are sale prices through a recession or stagnating economy - such as the one we’re currently experiencing. 

I recently saw a roughly modified red Zed come up on Gumtree which was priced around $40k (I think), and is no longer available. So assuming this example sold, it would appear the market would be plateauing slightly? 

I have heard before "opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one" - and especially for the sake of values.. it's easier to simply ignore everyone unless you know for a fact that they are a buyer and going to contribute to the hard stats that one craves when assessing values.

It's equally silly to isolate one sale of a car that you (perhaps) haven't seen in person and don't know the true condition of. Was it solid? Or quite the opposite? Did the owner understand market value or did they under-sell it? Data should be looked at collectively, otherwise it can tell you anything you want it to.

On 7/1/2022 at 2:22 PM, AndBir said:

I suspect the price reflected the "rust modifications" that you can never see in online photos.

Yep, I assumed that was the case… It only had one side photographed - intentionally (probably), haha. 

Still very affordable in comparison to other iconic sports cars produced from the same era; such as the GTS Monaro (unforgiving boats to drive), Porsche 911s etc…

It think vintage Zed’s are finally starting to become relevant in the Australian classic car market, and in a few years they’ll be priced more accordingly to what they deserve…